Turn on thread page Beta

Do some universities not enter Extra at all? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Browsing through ucas.com, I noticed that some universities e.g. St Andrews and Bristol didn't seem to have any Extra places, for reasonably unpopular subjects that almost every other university did have. Do some uni's just refuse to enter the Extra system?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about those universities specifically, but there are some like Oxbridge, that will have filled all their places already and do not enter Extra/clearing. I'm not sure whether Bristol etc are doing it as a snobbery thing

ReputationRep:
    Having looked a bit further into the Bristol thing, it appears they do enter Extra for some courses ... I suppose I was just shocked they hadn't for the subject I was looking at!

ReputationRep:
    My Uni (LSE) doesn't enter extra or clearing. It's oversubscribed anyway, so all the places are taken up by firm and insurance candidates.

ReputationRep:
    A university will only enter Extra if it has places, universities such as Bristol are often oversubscribed, so have no places to fill, so don't enter UCAS Extra. Oxbridge don't enter Extra or Clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuvverRussia)
    My Uni (LSE) doesn't enter extra or clearing. It's oversubscribed anyway, so all the places are taken up by firm and insurance candidates.
    At the LSE open day, they made a point of saying that they will never take part in UCAS Extra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    A university will only enter Extra if it has places, universities such as Bristol are often oversubscribed, so have no places to fill, so don't enter UCAS Extra. Oxbridge don't enter Extra or Clearing.
    I don't believe that is true, I can't remember which course it was, but I remember seeing a course at Cambridge in clearing last year on the UCAS website.

Some lucky students could win places at a popular university through the clearing system, although they have been rejected for the courses of their choice. Places may still be available, even at Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Only 1 med school entered Extra this year - Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    :confused: Is that due to their statistical error more than anything? i.e they underestimated how many people would reject their offers, rather than being undersubscribed due to lack of applications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I don't believe that is true, I can't remember which course it was, but I remember seeing a course at Cambridge in clearing last year on the UCAS website.

Some lucky students could win places at a popular university through the clearing system, although they have been rejected for the courses of their choice. Places may still be available, even at Cambridge
    There was some sort of maths course that was on last year's clearing list. Not straight maths, the code wasn't G100, I'm sure a H was in the code but I can't think what the course could be as to my best knowledge Cambridge don't offer mixtures of subjects :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    There was some sort of maths course that was on last year's clearing list. Not straight maths, the code wasn't G100, I'm sure a H was in the code but I can't think what the course could be as to my best knowledge Cambridge don't offer mixtures of subjects :confused:
    Yes - there was! I was afraid to say Maths, because I simply didn't believe it at the time and felt that people would jump down my throat if i said so - but you are right. As you infer, it wasn't straight maths though...that surprised me at the time.

ReputationRep:
    :confused: Is that due to their statistical error more than anything? i.e they underestimated how many people would reject their offers, rather than being undersubscribed due to lack of applications?
    No - they entered last year too (agian, the only ones with Extra places). I think they must keep some back in the knowledge that a lot of bloody good candidates get rejected for random reasons....

ReputationRep:
    Isn't Newcastle one of the top for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Isn't Newcastle one of the top for medicine?
    It's not top 5, but then again all UK medical schools are only separated by a hairsbreadth...

ReputationRep:
    From what I can remember, an awful lot of SOAS courses are available through Extra.

ReputationRep:
    It's not top 5, but then again all UK medical schools are only separated by a hairsbreadth...
    I had a look out of interest - it's actually number 2 in the medicine tables in both the times and the guardian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I had a look out of interest - it's actually number 2 in the medicine tables in both the times and the guardian.
    OK - they weren't last year when I applied...

They change dramatically each year due to the high spec required for medicine and the fact that there's not al ot between the best and the worst.

Next years will be interesting as they should include the 2004 research assesment excerise, rather than the 1999 one... Also the new medical schools (which aren't in the Time or Guardian tables as they don't yet have RAE scores) will be included.

ReputationRep:
    OK - they weren't last year when I applied...

They change dramatically each year due to the high spec required for medicine and the fact that there's not al ot between the best and the worst.

Next years will be interesting as they should include the 2004 research assesment excerise, rather than the 1999 one... Also the new medical schools (which aren't in the Time or Guardian tables as they don't yet have RAE scores) will be included.
    Is it likely that the new med schools will need a period of 'bedding in' and that they will produce poor RAE scores? Where were their staff plucked from?

ReputationRep:
    Is it likely that the new med schools will need a period of 'bedding in' and that they will produce poor RAE scores? Where were their staff plucked from?
    I don't think they will to be honest it - they have all the facilities - and UEA for example have a brand sparkling new hospital, they all have state of the art equiptment for labs and lectures and most encorporated exisiting departments into the new medical schools, which will no doubt boost research scores. Most took senior staff from other medical schools too, which will help.

ReputationRep:
    Well, Oxford certainly don't enter clearing and I thought that would be the same at Cambridge - obviously not. Both universities would use the pool system before clearing though, so it would have been the last resort.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.