Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...hy-backgrounds

Would also have liked to have seen some breakdowns of ethnic and gender stats
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hi-zen-berg)
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...hy-backgrounds

Would also have liked to have seen some breakdowns of ethnic and gender stats
    I'd also be interested to see whether the same was true amongst graduate students or whether it evens out a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly news!

I do find the apparent need for people to have cars for clinical attachments at some schools very frustrating though. How would someone with limited funds afford that?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Not exactly news!

I do find the apparent need for people to have cars for clinical attachments at some schools very frustrating though. How would someone with limited funds afford that?
    That's something I've found a bit concerning at Newcastle, there's no way of doing clinical years without a car (even if you're placed at the "home" hospitals - one is a 40 minute commute in the traffic, and your GP can be anywhere in the general north east region). Most people have to car share, but it gets harder in final year when you're a bit more independent. I know there were a few GP clinical attachment groups where none of the 4 placed at a very distant GP had a car (so couldn't car share) so had to spend around £10ish each on public transport and a couple of hours getting there, per week, per year.

That's on top of the everyday stuff that you don't really think about, like need to buy smart clothes (which are expensive) and have many sets of them. Buying books, paper for revision, printing, folders. For most people at least a conference/revision course or two. 2 CRB checks due to them only lasting 3 years and the course lasting 5/6 - and did we have to pay for the pre-provisional GMC registration? I can't remember, if so, that as well. All these hidden costs that, other than the revision stuff, are up and above other courses and which lasts up to double the amount of time.

ReputationRep:
    It's a harsh reality, however many universities are trying to overcome that through widening access schemes but which only cater for a minute amount of disadvantaged students wanting to pursue medicine as a career.
    Such schemes are as follows
    Nottinghams foundation year
    Kings foundation year
    UEA
    Southampton
    Leeds (Access to Leeds)
    Birmingham (Acess to Birmingham)
    Bristol
    Durham
    Quite a few are being provided- but not enough to overcome the fact that wealthy students dominate Med schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.