Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you rate your parents' parenting skills? Watch

Announcements

If your parents were your friends, what would you rate their parenting skills?
    Are you happy to bring your kids up the way they brought you up?

For my parents I think the overall is a 6 or 7/10
    I think I turned out fairly decent but I'm still going to have to say no on that one

1.1 on a good day

And no, I'd never raise my child the same way they 'raised' me.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    1.1 on a good day
    And no, I'd never raise my child the same way they 'raised' me.
    Damn... I'm sorry man
    :console: you out of there/ getting out soon?

A generous 2/10. I always say that my parents never really deserved to have children so, no, I won't be raising any future children the way they raised me.

Spoiler:
    Show
    While I'm on anon: **** you, mum and dad.

A generous 2/10. I always say that my parents never really deserved to have children so, no, I won't be raising any future children the way they raised me.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    While I'm on anon: **** you, mum and dad.
    Seems like the people of TSR haven't had the best experiences with their parents so far...
    Good on you for aiming to break the cycle though

Seems like the people of TSR haven't had the best experiences with their parents so far...
    Good on you for aiming to break the cycle though
    It's not the most representative sample. People who've had a difficult upbringing are more likely to respond to a thread of this kind, I'd think.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    10/10, I will never be able to repay a single smile which my mother gave to me. Hopefully I can take care of them just like they took care of me. I am truly grateful to god.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Kraixo....

I rate my parents 11/10, and could only hope to be a fraction of what they've done for me.

A lot of people say Asian parenting is too strict or whatever.. Although my parents are liberal compared to other Asian parents, I was punished when I was bad, and not really rewarded that much when I was good. "goodness" was kind of just expected... They were waay more strict on me than my younger siblings. Maybe that's too much for some people, but I understand why they did that.

(Original post by Kraixo)
    10/10, I will never be able to repay a single smile which my mother gave to me. Hopefully I can take care of them just like they took care of me. I am truly grateful to god.
    (Original post by spv)
    I agree with Kraixo....

I rate my parents 11/10, and could only hope to be a fraction of what they've done for me.

A lot of people say Asian parenting is too strict or whatever.. Although my parents are liberal compared to other Asian parents, I was punished when I was bad, and not really rewarded that much when I was good. "goodness" was kind of just expected... They were waay more strict on me than my younger siblings. Maybe that's too much for some people, but I understand why they did that.
    That's beautiful
    Aww I'm happy for you guys, make sure to pay it back to your parents and forward to your kids!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My mum was a bad mum but a good sister. She was too laid back and often made me feel like she didn't give a **** about me. We also fought like sisters. She was fun and easy going like a sister but I never had motherly love from her and she couldn't discipline me at all, I couldn't take her seriously. My gran was like the mum of both of us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Spock's Socks)
    My mum was a bad mum but a good sister. She was too laid back and often made me feel like she didn't give a **** about me. We also fought like sisters. She was fun and easy going like a sister but I never had motherly love from her and she couldn't discipline me at all, I couldn't take her seriously. My gran was like the mum of both of us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hm my mum is kinda like a sister, a best friend and a mother to me - I thought that was the 'dream mum'?
    my father drags the parenting points down

ReputationRep:
    I'd say like a 9/10, can't really fault them!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how I would rate them, but I would rather them be my parents than most parents. I would raise my kids differently though. It's complicated. My parents didn't really raise me, I just grew up in a house with them. Like, they didn't raise me with any particular values nor did they set any rules for me, I just kind of grew up. But they spoiled me rotten in restrospect which I am not grateful for now.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It is reductive to rate such things out of 10. They tried their best and made many mistakes but, particularly in my mother's defence, I was pretty impossible to parent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    she couldn't discipline me at all, I couldn't take her seriously.
    This. I have never been disciplined at all, and I could never look at my parents as authority figures.

ReputationRep:
    5/7

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    my mother = very nice, but quite dense sometimes and very embarrassing (horrifically embarrassing sometimes)
    my father = very distanced and seems to communicate through the medium of my mother. very stubborn, too. he's nice when he wants to be though. he also understands that parents can be embarrassing and has the sense to back off when it's appropriate (usually)
    both of them taught me some stupid ways of thinking, from "god exists and halloween/pokemon is satanic", to "weed will kill you", "ebay is a scam", "jaws is based on reality and you shouldn't swim at the beach" etc
    3.5/10 - I will be a much better parent compared to them based on what I've learned from them

ReputationRep:
    9/10 only criticism I'd have is when I was much younger she didn't push me very hard in academia. But I still managed to do okay anyway. Either way I still preferred her approach to pushy parents who force their kids to take part in activities they hate.

My mum was fairly laid back, but also fair and clear about her rules and expectations. As a result I respected her and didn't resent her for being over the top or a helicopter mum. And above all I trusted her, which I think a lot of kids with over the top parents fear they can't do for fear of their parents reactions.

She was always a very hands on mum from a young age, she taught me to read, write, tell the time and do basic maths before I started nursery at age 4. She also taught me how to basically be responsible from a young age too, she showed me the value of money, how to budget and cook and overall what really matters which is being happy and how to treat others.

I don't plan to have children, but if I were planning to I would raise them how she raised me.

I love my mum.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.