The Student Room Group

Edexcel Core 3 - 21st June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Summer199
hey does anyone have the C34 jan 2016 international paper? sorry if it was already posted! :redface:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B23NLD5L6099eUg0YjVhNXZRblk&usp=sharing&tid=0B23NLD5L6099YjV3SzBabTE4NDQ
Original post by lahorizon
I guess it depends if a range/domain question comes up then...

made me chuckle
Original post by Pablo Picasso
That is GCSE standard

Very helpful mate. Cheers.
Original post by Engineerrookie
Do you think if I get 69 out of 75 on both C3 and C4 I could get an A*???

Haha this the kind of stuff I was asking last year. I'm retaking for the A* (Edexcel marked my paper wrong rip). Anyway, 69/75 on both should secure an A*. But you really can't tell. I'm hoping C3 is hard as hell. I tend to make mistakes but don't really struggle on actually doing questions. Let's pray it is so the grade boundaries get pushed down! :smile:

Good luck bud, stop worrying about your mark and just do what you can.
Original post by Tow
Haha this the kind of stuff I was asking last year. I'm retaking for the A* (Edexcel marked my paper wrong rip). Anyway, 69/75 on both should secure an A*. But you really can't tell. I'm hoping C3 is hard as hell. I tend to make mistakes but don't really struggle on actually doing questions. Let's pray it is so the grade boundaries get pushed down! :smile:

How come if they marked it wrong, why didn't you remark it and get the paper urself?
Are C34 papers good practice?
Original post by Vannzzoo
Are C34 papers good practice?

Yeah, I've found that they are. They're a really good way to revise C3 and C4 at the same time.
Original post by Tow

Really? And here I am hoping it'll not be too hard. I hope that it's at least doable in the time given,...
Original post by pineneedles
Yeah, that's the right answer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you figure it out? I can help if you didnt.
Does anyone know what 'ugly' question they're likely to throw in, as in what topic and what particular focus it could be? I feel prepared but given the other exams this year, I'm sure there'll be something I can't do!
Original post by ryanroks1
Does anyone know what 'ugly' question they're likely to throw in, as in what topic and what particular focus it could be? I feel prepared but given the other exams this year, I'm sure there'll be something I can't do!

Dude...there's literally zero point in asking this question. No one knows what will come up tomorrow, you just have to wait and see lol!
Original post by ryanroks1

Although I do understand what you mean with Edexcel being annoying this lol; chemistry was a pain.
Could someone explain question 6c of the jan 2016 C34 IAL paper. (c3 related)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B23NLD5L6099eUg0YjVhNXZRblk&usp=sharing&tid=0B23NLD5L6099YjV3SzBabTE4NDQ
Original post by bat_man
Could someone explain question 6c of the jan 2016 C34 IAL paper. (c3 related)

Just do dT/dt and note that this can be expressed in terms of T
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Just do dT/dt and note that this can be expressed in terms of T

got it. cheers.
Original post by SeanFM
The domain is immediate (in f(g(x)), the domain is precisely the domain of g(x) - after all, if you try to put in anything else then it will be invalid at the first hurdle!

The range, well.. you have to take the range of g(x) and see how it reacts to f(x) to find the range, as f(x) is the last thing that you compute, but with a domain of the range of g(x) (since you are putting in values of g(x)).

Do you mind explaining the last para slightly more please?

So do you mean, find the range of g(x) and then use that to work out the range of fg(x), so like sub the domain of g(x) into fg(x)?

Thanks!
Original post by popo111
Do you mind explaining the last para slightly more please?

So do you mean, find the range of g(x) and then use that to work out the range of fg(x), so like sub the domain of g(x) into fg(x)?

Thanks!

No problem at all.

Yes, I think what you're saying is right - have a look at this example and the other posts below the original one.

Original post by SeanFM
Functions ff and gg are such that g(x)=1x2,2.5x3.5g(x) = \frac{1}{x-2}, 2.5 \leq x \leq 3.5 and f(x) = ln(2x+5)

a. State the range of g(x).

b. State the domain of f(x).

c. State the domain of f(g(x)) and calculate the range.

d. Find f(g(x)).

e. Find the inverse function of f(g(x)) and state its domain.

f. Find the derivative of f(g(x)) with respect to x.
Original post by SeanFM
No problem at all.

Yes, I think what you're saying is right - have a look at this example and the other posts below the original one.

For range of g(x), I got =/= 0.

For domain of f(x), I got x > -2.5

For fg(x) range, I subbed in the domain of g(x) into the fg(x) expression and got 19/3 and 9? Not too sure though..
Original post by popo111
For range of g(x), I got =/= 0.

For domain of f(x), I got x > -2.5

For fg(x) range, I subbed in the domain of g(x) into the fg(x) expression and got 19/3 and 9? Not too sure though..

If you click on 'original post' in the question and scroll down a bit, you'll see the answers + an explanation of what you originally asked.

Quick Reply

Latest