Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Core 3 - 21st June 2016 AM Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skyjp)
    write 8 as a power of 2 and the root as an indice...

posted from tsr mobile
    yay thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economistician)
    Does anyone know why this method doesn't work?

ln2x + ln(2x^2) + ln(2x^3) = 6
    ln2x + 2ln2x + 3ln2x = 6
    6ln2x = 6
    ln2x = 1
    e^ln2x = e^1
    2x = e^1
    x = (e^1)/2
    ?
    ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(ab), only

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economistician)
    Does anyone know why this method doesn't work?

ln2x + ln(2x^2) + ln(2x^3) = 6
    ln2x + 2ln2x + 3ln2x = 6
    6ln2x = 6
    ln2x = 1
    e^ln2x = e^1
    2x = e^1
    x = (e^1)/2
    ?
    Yep. I would have made the same mistake too . If you think of doing it the other way round (second line of working) if you had 2ln2x (for example the second term) you would need to square the whole of '2x' as the term after ln. That is the only reason you have slipped as far as I can see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by throwaway1234567)
    You found it easy?
    I'm aiming for a B overall and just got 56% on that paper, completely demoralized now and doubting whether I'll be getting that B .
    Ohh noo no way , i was sarcastic, i am aiming for a B aswell but that paper was so bad i'm hoping the paper tomorrow is nothing like that

ReputationRep:
    Hey can we be asked to work out things like arctan(-1) and sin[arcos(-0.5))] without a calculator?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanroks1)
    Please could someone help with this question?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You managed to do it yet? I can explain it if not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KINGYusuf)
    But how would I know it's root2?

Am I supposed to trial and error or something
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466449110.005097.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  83.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hollie G)
    Just a quick last-minute question, how do you know whether to use degrees or radians for iteration questions?
    Usually iteration does not involve sin, cos or tan, but if it does, automatically use degrees. Before doing this I would suggest reading through the question and looking for anything like pi because if it wants it in radians it will be specific.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  arccsinx.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  46.7 KB

Did it sideways but follow the arrows. use pythagoras in triangle.

ReputationRep:
    just got 90% on international paper, ill likely panic tomorrow when edexel puts something weird in :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joodaa)
    Hey can we be asked to work out things like arctan(-1) and sin[arcos(-0.5))] without a calculator?
    if you have a calculator, use it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillRose)
    just got 90% on international paper, ill likely panic tomorrow when edexel puts something weird in :s
    did you do jan 2016?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    sina = x
    Name:  image.png
Views: 54
Size:  348.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KINGYusuf)
    But how would I know it's root2?

Am I supposed to trial and error or something
    That's what I did :s. But I think this is as far as they would go as far as having a surd answer like that. They wouldn't ask you to solve x for x^6 =343 and expect you to know it's root(7).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WillRose)
    If yes, please help me out with this partial fraction question :O
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 19.42.16.png
Views: 77
Size:  11.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    : sin(arccos1/2) using triangles to get an exact answer without a calculator
    cosA =-1/2
    so sin A = root3 / 2

ReputationRep:
    yep Go check out the relevant videos under the C3 section on examsolutions. I wasn't able to do these types of questions but now I can because of those vids!! They're honestly amazing.

ReputationRep:
    What's this about a Jan 2016 paper? Thought the Jan ones stopped?? If anyone has a copy could they please attach it? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I pray for a good test tomorow

ReputationRep:
    Hey I just did Jan 2013 paper and worked out two of the questions using methods not mentioned anywhere on the mark scheme (not even alternative), now this has made me worried. I gave myself full marks as a i got the correct answers, but what would an examiner do in this case? I believe my methods are correct, but I'm not sure, and if they are why are they not on the markscheme?

If i post them here can anyone help me, maybe tell me if what I did was wrong?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.