Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Core 3 - 21st June 2016 AM Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay this really confuses me. How are we meant to know that the graphs will intersect twice when sketching it :s?

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  26.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak33m98)
    If I've been averaging low A*'s in edexcel gold papers and solomon papers do you guys reckon I could get full ums in the actual thing tomorrow?
    You're asking us to predict the future here (can't be done). It all depends on your performance tomorrow!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Download the Edexcel UMS mark converter from their website and bob's your uncle.
    And can you find the total UMS you need for an overall grade?

ReputationRep:
    Lets smash this

ReputationRep:
    This is quite random but how the hell do you draw 2|3 -x| +5
    I got it via drawing the 3-x modulus and translating/transforming it.
    BUT how can you do it using critical values?
    It doesnt seem to work and i get a reflected graph instead?
    So for x< 3 I get the line 2x - 1, for x >3 i get -2x + 11. This is a reflection of the actual graph and I dont understnad what i've done wrong.

Zacken Could you explain?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where T - 20 came from on the C34 Jan 2016 paper? Q6c. Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    so nervous!! Good luck everyone just remember if you breathe you often dont die.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a history of grade boundaries, or just an average of what 80-90-100 UMS will be? Hoping to bring the grade up with C3 and get an A* after C4 inevitably brings it down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    Okay this really confuses me. How are we meant to know that the graphs will intersect twice when sketching it :s?

Bro this pic really over complicates it, firstly just take away the modulus and equate them. After equating them one of the modulus functions will be negative and the other positive and then find the value of x by re arranging. The other x value is by making both the mod functions positive and re arranging to find the other x value then draw the diagram to see where one of them is bigger than the other
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David_Waddell)
    And can you find the total UMS you need for an overall grade?
    You need 80% of the total UMS (600) for an A, 70% for a B etc. An A* is achieved if you get 80%+ AND 180 UMS or more from C3/C4.

ReputationRep:

There's a past paper Q I think it's June 2014 or 2015, but it asks you to solve when the two lines only intersect once. And that's because the answer gave you x>3/4 and x<3/4. In this case, it's clear that x=3/4 and only intersects once. Any other case, the two lines would intersect more than once. Unless the domain restricts it from doing so or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veldt127)
    Does anyone have a history of grade boundaries, or just an average of what 80-90-100 UMS will be? Hoping to bring the grade up with C3 and get an A* after C4 inevitably brings it down
    I went through them today and for 90UMS in C3 for the past 6 years it has been between 65-70 with an average of 67

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay_O)
    I have just finished G4 and got 63/75 with a few silly mistakes, similar with S3. I found both okay, Im unsure on G3 though. Might be worth a look? How are you getting on?
    I got 71/75. Couldn't do 1b, didn't think of quadratics at all. But then again this paper didn't have functions on it so it might not mean much for me. I may have a go at G3 if it has functions on it. I really like differentiation and trigonometry. I don't really like functions and I can't even remember the rest of C3

ReputationRep:

Where is this question from, which paper? Looks like a functions question I need to digest overnight
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    This is quite random but how the hell do you draw 2|3 -x| +5
    I got it via drawing the 3-x modulus and translating/transforming it.
    BUT how can you do it using critical values?
    It doesnt seem to work and i get a reflected graph instead?
    So for x< 3 I get the line 2x - 1, for x >3 i get -2x + 11. This is a reflection of the actual graph and I dont understnad what i've done wrong.

Zacken Could you explain?
    You've got the two cases the wrong way round, that is why it's a reflection. I got the same equations at you at first, but now I see it differently.

When x>3 for example, 3-x will be negative, so mod(3-x) = x-3, giving you 2x - 6 +5 = 2x -1.

ReputationRep:
    Here's the attachments, I'm not sure how to do Q6c. How did they get T - 20? Where did it come from?
    Attached Images

• Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tow)
    Does anyone know where T - 20 came from on the C34 Jan 2016 paper? Q6c. Thanks!!
    Please link the paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tow)
    Here's the attachments, I'm not sure how to do Q6c. How did they get T - 20? Where did it come from?
    SeanFM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by particlestudent)
    I got 71/75. Couldn't do 1b, didn't think of quadratics at all. But then again this paper didn't have functions on it so it might not mean much for me. I may have a go at G3 if it has functions on it. I really like differentiation and trigonometry. I don't really like functions and I can't even remember the rest of C3
    Yeah thats exactly what im thinking, functions didnt come up, and anything to do with arctan/sin/cos then im screwed... Trig can go either way got me but so far so good i guess.. Yeah differentiation is good to, really hoping for a calm c3 paper as messed up m2 :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    You've got the two cases the wrong way round, that is why it's a reflection. I got the same equations at you at first, but now I see it differently.

When x>3 for example, 3-x will be negative, so mod(3-x) = x-3, giving you 2x - 6 +5 = 2x -1.
    If in doubt, couldn't you just sub in values for X and Y?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.