Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Core 3 - 21st June 2016 AM Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ainsleyy)
    Yeh tan4x = something with a 3 and a 4. I think I got the same aswell. 0.16...
    For that question the range was from pi/4 to pi/2 so 0.16 was out of the range the real answer was 0.86 or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Okay i started the cot2x question, got halfway and then did B because i got stuck... i went back to it but ran out of room so I wrotr "continued on the next page." On thr next page i continued from where I left off... I got to the answer but idk whether they'd allow this.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. I just kept trying variations of Rcos/sin(x +/- alpha) until I had one that worked. Solved in the same way as the previous part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenOfNachos)
    Any predictions for 100 UMS?

ReputationRep:
    Guys what did you do for 5i? You differentiated to get something like 3cos4x - 4Sin4x. I then put that into RCos(4x+c) format and got a value of x = 0.16...
    Couldn't any other way of doing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizbox)
    They're exactly the same, ln2.5 is the simplified version
    Do you think full marks will still be given to 0.5 ln 6.75?

ReputationRep:
    The turning point had to be between pi/4 and pi/2 so the answer was 0.9 something
    Wasn't the range -pi/4 to pi/2?
    That's what I remember it as actually so maybe me and thehollowcrown are right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozzie97)
    i completed the square but quadratic formula would work too.
    get in sonnn i was so worried about that

(Original post by AhnafR)
    Guys for 4a) i wrote x=1/2ln(25/4) instead of ln5/2. Did it say to simplify and how many marks would i lose?
    I don't think I said to simplify

I hope it didn't anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecomaths)
    Why don't we?
    Because the grade boundaries won't have been decided yet, as they're based on how well people perform. And if we've all done really badly then they'll be a lot lower than normal anyway.

This idea that maths exams are 'unfair' is really irritating me tbh. I've f-ed up multiple exams this year, so I get that it's frustrating, but it we can't blame Edexcel for the fact that we can't do every single question. Most people can't, that's kinda the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rk_)
    i also couldn't find the sign change. I had the interval as [1.2565,1.2575] *something like that* but couldn't get a sign change ANYWHERE!!!!
    it was so frustrating but hey it was only two marks apparently

ReputationRep:
    WHAT THE **** WAS THAT

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mpwb12345)
    Will send u it
    Is it possible for you to send me a copy too? Please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaxyBeast98)
    How many marks was question 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    7 (seven)

ReputationRep:
    What was question one as i didn't get -5 and 6 as the answer, i did work this out in part b though. how many marks would i lose as would be under part b workings not part a?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lfcrules)
    Do you think full marks will still be given to 0.5 ln 6.75?
    hope so.. I got this too

ReputationRep:
    that exam was easy. For the cotx question, I changed the equation in terms of tan2x=2/3. Then worked out the four values of x.

ReputationRep:
    Guys for the last question if I left a as 1/0.2 would I still get the mark?

ReputationRep:
    I didnt know 4sin4x was the same as 2sin2ycos2y. I thought it only worked for Sin2A only. Overall it was decent. A bit harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    I am pretty sure I got this as well (my answer was deffo smaller than the one that other people are quoting). Wasn't this the question with Tan4x = 4/3 or something like that?
    Yeah that was one of the 4 solutions but then when you looked at the boundaries which I think were pi/2<pi/4 0.9463 was the only one which fit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.