The Student Room Group

Is democracy bad in Muslim countries?

My theory is this Arab spring, these revolutions in Muslim countries to try and force more democracy is actually harmful. The revolution might have been sponsored by other countries who do not want these countries to progress.

I believe the culture/history of those countries do not allow them to have democracy as they will return to their barbaric past.

Democracy imo in the UK/US leads to some form of communism, and I believe similarly in Muslim counties, it leads to Wahhabism (authoritarian form of Islam).

Therefore, we do not need more democracy in those countries, we actually we need less.

Discuss.
They just don't want freedom, we should accept that stay civil and let them decide what's best for them.
how does democracy in the UK/US lead to communism???

and why do you think democracy in the middle east leads to Wahhabism?
Original post by booyahkasha
how does democracy in the UK/US lead to communism???

and why do you think democracy in the middle east leads to Wahhabism?

look buddy that's my theory im not a scientist to know how countries work
Original post by MrKmas508
They just don't want freedom, we should accept that stay civil and let them decide what's best for them.

totally agree, repped
In Tunisia the Arab Spring actually resulted in a liberal democracy for the country,much to the approval and support from its citizens who are proud of the democratic accomplishments, and in general are strongly opposed to the terrorist groups carrying out attacks. The country is proof that democracy is not completely impossible in the ME. However it does seem to be the case with certain countries.
Reply 6
The Western style democracy does not work ...
Look at Libya now
Original post by childofthesun
In Tunisia the Arab Spring actually resulted in a liberal democracy for the country,much to the approval and support from its citizens who are proud of the democratic accomplishments, and in general are strongly opposed to the terrorist groups carrying out attacks. The country is proof that democracy is not completely impossible in the ME. However it does seem to be the case with certain countries.

Interesting. Democracy is seen as something like an end goal. I think it's more of a procedure. With the end goal reflecting a civilisation's basic instincts.
I am still wary about this whole democracy business. I do not believe the US actually cares about the democracy in the Middle East. Even with the revolutions in the ME, I have a hunch the US is sponsoring these uprisings.
Original post by TeeEm
The Western style democracy does not work ...
Look at Libya now

I agree. I do politics and I have to write essays about how to make countries more democratic, all I want to say is that some countries certainly would be better off without it.
Maybe they'd be better of with a monarchy, or a constitution. But the people themselves don't know what they want.
Original post by MrKmas508

"let them decide what's best for them"

I've never understood how someone could hold the sentiment behind this.

"let them decide what's best for them" means letting them decide what's best for their children, what's best for people not in favour, and what's best in the long run.
Muslims have democracy- they vote for Sharia law. That is their democracy but it goes against human rights. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending