Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking GCSE Maths a year early Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    You don't need UPNs to take exams (they only exist for state school pupils), you need UCIs - unique candidate identifiers.
    Oh yes - that was what I meant - I can't believe the poster was able to sit the exam without this information and surely only the school has this number?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Oh yes - that was what I meant - I can't believe the poster was able to sit the exam without this information and surely only the school has this number?
    The other school may just have reckoned he was too young to have one yet and created one for him without checking with the school where he was enrolled (very bad manners but it happens). Landing up with 2 causes problems (as you are then seen as 2 different people) but they can be amalgamated with a bit of effort.

ReputationRep:
    The other school may just have reckoned he was too young to have one yet and created one for him without checking with the school where he was enrolled (very bad manners but it happens). Landing up with 2 causes problems (as you are then seen as 2 different people) but they can be amalgamated with a bit of effort.
    Assuming ths story is 100% true ... and of course it's the school he didn't bother to tell which has all the work to sort it out!

ReputationRep:
    Assuming ths story is 100% true ... and of course it's the school he didn't bother to tell which has all the work to sort it out!
    Yh i like to lie to random people on the internet on a studeny forum. I can pm you a picture of my year 9 gcse certificate if thatll make you happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally)
    Yh i like to lie to random people on the internet on a studeny forum. I can pm you a picture of my year 9 gcse certificate if thatll make you happy.
    No, just explain how your school sorted it out for you - you cannot have two UCIs.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this has been said but I just wanted to add that it is better to have an 8 in the new more difficult syllabus then an A in the old syllabus which will be considered by employers as less good by the time we get to be employed. Also, if the rest of your set is not doing it then it is unlikely the school will make an exception for you as they then have to deal with a) students who would have liked to have done it but didn't ask so didn't get the opportunity and b) you who has no reason to be in the lessons so would need a teacher to supervise you doing something else during those times.
    Our school definitely agrees with the first point as they normally enter the top group into maths a year early and then they do further maths however this year instead they have decided the top group are going statistics this year and then the new syllabus of maths next year so hopefully we can get mostly 9s with a few 8s in the class.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No, just explain how your school sorted it out for you - you cannot have two UCIs.
    Maybe the school did as ours did and gave them to us in year 7 on our student identity cards and we keep them until we leave sixth form so the op would have known it when he took the exam (even if the op didn't know that it was what is was)

ReputationRep:
    I have literally no idea. I dont remember having to deal with any hassle to be honest. Ill ask my mum when i get home, if there was any technical issues back then, she'd know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally)
    I have literally no idea. I dont remember having to deal with any hassle to be honest. Ill ask my mum when i get home, if there was any technical issues back then, she'd know.
    I hope you did put it on your UCAS application.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I hope you did put it on your UCAS application.
    At GCSEs you don't do UCAS lol so the op won't have done a UCAS application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    At GCSEs you don't do UCAS lol so the op won't have done a UCAS application.
    Mentally's profile says he is 18 so it is pretty likely he is applying/has applied to uni.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Mentally's profile says he is 18 so it is pretty likely he is applying/has applied to uni.
    Oh oops for some reason had it in my head that Mentally was the op who is obviously not 18 if he's doing GCSEs and is in year 10.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.