Speaker's Statement: TSR National Liberal Party

Watch
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

I can now officially confirm that the proposal to create a new party in the Model House of Commons has been approved and will be eligible to stand at the next General Election or by-election.

In making this decision the following factors were considered:
  • Whether the party fits an ideological niche not adequately filled by the current MHoC parties.
  • Whether there is support for the formation of this party amongst the TSR electorate.
  • Whether there are members ready to generate activity and contribute to the party.
  • Whether the general mood of the House is favourable to this change.
  • Whether the formation of a new party would benefit the House and make it more enjoyable for users.
I believe a 'TSR National Liberal Party' meets these tests.

I have spoken with the CT and the now unused TSR Libertarian Party sub-forum will be appropriated to give this new party a home. Whilst this process may still take a few days I give my congratulations to the proposers of the new party and in the meantime will allow them to put forward a representative to the Crisis Committee in time to vote in the ongoing election for Chair.

RayApparently
Speaker of the House
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 4 years ago
Huzzah! :woo:

a noble chance Plantagenet Crown Davij038
SakuraCayla
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do we even have by-elections?
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kay_Winters)
Do we even have by-elections?
We do but none will happen before tge GE
SakuraCayla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
We do but none will happen before tge GE
I know parties have internal elections for MPs and such, but with our system any vacant seat is only vacant as an MP has stepped down or has lost an internal vote of no confidence, the seat remains with the party. I'm just curious how a by-election would happen with our electoral system
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know parties have internal elections for MPs and such, but with our system any vacant seat is only vacant as an MP has stepped down or has lost an internal vote of no confidence, the seat remains with the party. I'm just curious how a by-election would happen with our electoral system
By-elections happen when a seat has gotten less then a 75% voting record in 2 consecutive terms
SakuraCayla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
By-elections happen when a seat has gotten less then a 75% voting record in 2 consecutive terms
That, to me at least, doesn't seem really practical, I might have a think on a way to change that to make it more useful
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That, to me at least, doesn't seem really practical, I might have a think on a way to change that to make it more useful
As in you think they should happen more often?
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Congratulations a noble chance and the rest of the team, I hope you'll prove to be a much needed breath of fresh air for the MHoC!
SakuraCayla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
As in you think they should happen more often?
I wouldn't make them easy to happen, just concentrate it over one term instead of two, maybe something like if a seat drops below 70% voting, and doesn't improve having given the party time to replace the candidate it goes up for by-election. To me something like that makes more sense, in anycase I'll have a think on the issue, and I'll stop filling this thread with off-topic discussion
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Congratulations a noble chance and all the other members. Interesting times for the MHoC
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't make them easy to happen, just concentrate it over one term instead of two, maybe something like if a seat drops below 70% voting, and doesn't improve having given the party time to replace the candidate it goes up for by-election. To me something like that makes more sense, in anycase I'll have a think on the issue, and I'll stop filling this thread with off-topic discussion
Sorry, I ment 2 consecutive reveiws (so 2 months in a row)
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nice.
SakuraCayla
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Sorry, I ment 2 consecutive reveiws (so 2 months in a row)
Ah, that makes more sense and seems more reasonable
a noble chance
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)

I can now officially confirm that the proposal to create a new party in the Model House of Commons has been approved and will be eligible to stand at the next General Election or by-election.

• Whether the party fits an ideological niche not adequately filled by the current MHoC parties.
  • Whether there is support for the formation of this party amongst the TSR electorate.
  • Whether there are members ready to generate activity and contribute to the party.
  • Whether the formation of a new party would benefit the House and make it more enjoyable for users.

I have spoken with the CT and the now unused TSR Libertarian Party sub-forum will be appropriated to give this new party a home. Whilst this process may still take a few days I give my congratulations to the proposers of the new party and in the meantime will allow them to put forward a representative to the Crisis Committee in time to vote in the ongoing election for Chair.

RayApparently
Speaker of the House
Many thanks to you for the time you've spent considering us and liasing with the CT and of course for ultimately deciding to approve us!

:headbang:
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)

RayApparently
Speaker of the House
How does it feel to join me in the (occasionally) proud father club?
TheThiefOfBagdad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yay!
Thanks to everyone who was involved in bringing this together and thank you all for the warm support.
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Excellent news! I look forward to a new perspective being provided in debates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fantastic news!
Imperion
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Noice selection m9 :cool:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (279)
33.94%
No (543)
66.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed