Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How are A Levels different to GCSEs? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In many of my GCSEs, I'm planning just to memorise information and then regurgitate it in the exam, but I've heard A Level isn't like this... Apparently you have to really understand the content and it's not just memorising facts and figures.

I hoping to take Geography, English Lit, Biology and there is a slight possibility that I might take Chemistry because I do enjoy it, it will keep doors open for me in case I want to do medicine, but I'm finding C3 (AQA GCSE) quite difficult at the moment which is worrying lol.

My mum told me that A Levels aren't necessarily more difficult, she said that you aren't as guided by the teacher, you have to enjoy the subject, and she told me I'll be fine but it might take me awhile to get used to it or something.

I'm just worried about the difficulty of it all... I head Biology is a fat textbook worth of information to learn and Chemistry is apparently one of the hardest A Levels!

So, how are A Levels different to GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romansholiday)
    In many of my GCSEs, I'm planning just to memorise information and then regurgitate it in the exam, but I've heard A Level isn't like this... Apparently you have to really understand the content and it's not just memorising facts and figures.

I hoping to take Geography, English Lit, Biology and there is a slight possibility that I might take Chemistry because I do enjoy it, it will keep doors open for me in case I want to do medicine, but I'm finding C3 (AQA GCSE) quite difficult at the moment which is worrying lol.

My mum told me that A Levels aren't necessarily more difficult, she said that you aren't as guided by the teacher, you have to enjoy the subject, and she told me I'll be fine but it might take me awhile to get used to it or something.

I'm just worried about the difficulty of it all... I head Biology is a fat textbook worth of information to learn and Chemistry is apparently one of the hardest A Levels!

Just focus on your GCSE and get the best possible results you can especially if you want to do medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khanpatel321)
    Just focus on your GCSE and get the best possible results you can especially if you want to do medicine.
    I admit that info is useful but how is that relevant to what the OP asked :lol:

ReputationRep:

They are difficult and the content is far more than GCSE. Yes Chemistry and Biology are pretty much one of the hardest A-levels.

There's no need to worry: if you work hard throughout the year than you'll get good grades, just like GCSE.

ReputationRep:

Well, concentrate on your GCSE's at the minute so you get the best grades you can. Its always better to understand the information even at GCSE level because you may get questions where you have to apply your knowledge to other situations (for the sciences)

I am doing Biology and Chemistry at A level. Biology is a lot harder than GCSE, not only is there a LOT of things to learn like definitions and stuff but you have to thoroughly understand the concepts because the questions will most likely be on substances you've never heard about and you'll have to apply your knowledge of proteins or something to this new situation. Chemistry I would say isn't quite as hard as Biology because there are more calculations in Chemistry and definitions.

However they are both great A levels and I really, really hope I haven't put you off taking them though because they are really interesting and even though you don't get guided as much, the teachers are still there for help if you need them! I would go for it!!

Good luck with your GCSE's, I would definitely take Biology and Chemistry!

ReputationRep:

Tip for GCSEs -

Forget about A-levels, sixth form and university and focus on the present. If you look too far ahead, you'll trip up.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to say but A-Levels are typically a lot harder for most people. The information is given to you a lot faster so you have to read up out of lesson and the questions are more related to context in some subjects rather than just facts. A-levels are a lot more independent with you needing to do work out of lesson and such but you do have a better relationship with teachers so you can talk to them about any work really.

I have heard a few people say that A-levels were harder than university courses as they're more intensive but I'm not too sure. If you're committed and willing to put away a good few months for your exams then I'm sure yourll do fine

ReputationRep:

Hi! I'm taking both biology and chemistry at A-level (though I'm currently doing them at AS). Biology is generally quite straight forward at GCSE as, as you said, it's pretty much regurgitating information. I can tell you it's been a bit of a slap in the face at A-level because I've gone from getting straight As-A*s at GCSE to getting Cs in my mock exams. In both bio and chem, you really do need a thorough understanding as the exam questions will NEVER ask you about something you've looked at in class - it will all be about applying your knowledge (for example, someone will be doing an experiment and you'll have to say what happened and why, or explain what conditions you'd need for a certain reaction) which really takes a lot more thinking about.

But it is possible!! I'd just say choose subjects you enjoy, and make sure you do read outside of school In biology sometimes my teacher even skips over some *tiny* parts of the syllabus and just expects us to read up on it at home and ask him if we're confused.

Good luck in your GCSEs!!!

ReputationRep:
    With biology A level, the material isn't that hard to understand, there is just an awful lot of it to learn. With chemistry there is not as much to learn as with biology but it can be tricky to understand. I don't think chemistry is as hard as some people make out. My advice really is only take them if you genuinely enjoy them, because otherwise it will be impossible to stay motivated, and work hard from day one. Don't coast along and try to cram at the end.
    I can't speak for your other a levels.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.