Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HOW TO PASS AQA AS PHYSICS NEW SPEC (especially data analysis) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    recently did my AS level mocks (straight after Christmas) and didn't do as well as I'd hoped in physics. I am doing the new AQA specification, where my AS grade won't actually count towards my final grade. I have been achieving mainly As in the end of unit tests we've completed, and a couple of Bs. I revised by trying to learn the syllabus, and I did put in a lot of work even though it was Christmas. I have just been told I achieved a D (2 marks off a C). I'm devastated, I always thought I was 'alright' at physics. Is there any hope for me getting an A/B grade this summer and if so how??

I have not yet seen my paper, but have been told I need to work on application of knowledge and data analyisis.

In short can I improve my mock grade from a D to an A/B in the summer?? And if so how??

Thank you xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in revision methods/ techniques others have used to achieve higher grades

ReputationRep:
    just do past papers again and again
    theres not much to memorise you just have to make yourself used to those harder questions

did you have the multiple choice questions?
    they are a nightmare for just 1 mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishea16)
    just do past papers again and again
    theres not much to memorise you just have to make yourself used to those harder questions

did you have the multiple choice questions?
    they are a nightmare for just 1 mark
    Yes we did - they were awful!! We also had a large data analysis section which asked us about capillaries, which really put me off! The problem about past papers is that they're all for the old spec - it sucks being the 1st year to do an exam

ReputationRep:
    yh true

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing this exam too?? How are you finding it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hello1232123)
    Are you doing this exam too?? How are you finding it?
    awful is an understatement

ReputationRep:
    does anybody have good notes for revision?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this too, it's really annoying how there are now past papers to practice that is specific to the type of set up of the new exam

ReputationRep:
    How are people revising for this exam? Especially as now all of the content can be on either of the two exams, whereas it used to be particles, quantum and electricity for paper 1 and then mechanics, materials and waves for paper 2

ReputationRep:
    Guys I know the new papers are hard but the good thing is, is that were all struggling together (hopefully) so lets just pray that its for 50% for an A grade

ReputationRep:
    legit the new spec specimen As papers are the worst papers i have ever sat no word of a lie, all i am doing is learning stuff that can be learnt so i can mess up on the stuff that is not learnable (aka quikeneins tube from specimen paper)

ReputationRep:
    How do you prove the sn formula and the un formula?

ReputationRep:
    Guys can I just get some help.

Can some confirm that AC circuits and anything related to that isn't on the new AS spec.

Am learning AS physics this year and hate the fact both papers could have content from the whole as spec.

Also would anyone be able to provide me the 2015 specimen paper as I believe it's not on a public domain.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inam97)
    Guys can I just get some help.

Can some confirm that AC circuits and anything related to that isn't on the new AS spec.

Am learning AS physics this year and hate the fact both papers could have content from the whole as spec.

Also would anyone be able to provide me the 2015 specimen paper as I believe it's not on a public domain.

Thanks
    You are correct about AC circuits if you're with AQA. We only have to consider DC (battery) circuits.

The 2015 specimen papers(s) (set 1) is available on the AQA website.

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry yh AQA, also would it be possible to mention any other big removals.

And thanks for the info.

ReputationRep:
    just to confirm, is paper 1 the multiple choice paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by money-for-all)
    just to confirm, is paper 1 the multiple choice paper?
    No, that's paper 2.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.