Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I good enough for Oxbridge? Proving it here. Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm aiming for A*A*A* to make up for my rather mediocre to poor BCD grades that I currently hold in the subjects in question.
    They are Biology, Chemistry and Further Mathematics respectively.

While A*A*A* would be nice, I need only A*A*A to meet my offer for Cambridge so if time-management continues to be an issue, I will concentrate on Further Maths and Chemistry. I'm concentrating on those for my A*s because I'd need 94% in Bio to get an A* as I only have a B in the A2 CW. I need only get a B in either of the exams to get an A over all in Bio so for this reason it's of a lower priority. But I will try my best with them all .

April Easter break is crazy past paper season so I will be trying to definitely be past paper then by the latest.

Previous Academics

GCSE: 5A2B1C2D
    AS: AAAB
    A2: ABCCD
    A2: predicted + attained A*A*AAC

June Modules

Further Mathematics (a pretty balanced profile. No 3 or higher level applied unit. I considered M3 because I despise both D1 and S2 but it doesn't seem wise)
    FP2
    FP3
    S2
    M2
    D1
    Biology
    Bio 4
    Bio 5
    Chemistry
    F324
    F325

Mid learning
    Not started
    Completed learning

Context for Cambridge offer in lieu of bad grades

You are probably wondering how someone with such poor grades is considering Cambridge and got an offer.
    Here is some context.

Year 10/11

I missed half of year 10 as I had quite the chaotic life in those months. I lived with a relative who didn't believe in western education; I spent some time homeless (on different people's couches/floors not the streets TG) and I was in foster care). I resumed education when I entered a care home in Feb of year 12. I was tutored however they were used to getting people who had special needs or had been out of education for years so we mostly did fun and games :nothing:. To give you an indication of the sort of place...people were given certificates for literally tying their shoelaces. Some tutors were happy to start GCSE work with me though. I did maths and spanish at the end of year 10 and got As in them. Most realised I didn't have the same needs as the others and then started work with me. I got the grades that I did as a result of the circumstances.

College

I moved out in the summer after GCSEs. Finished term in June and moved out July 01 into my first appartment. Rent was paid for thankfully by social services and I was to live alone during college. It was tough going from the centre of about 10 pupils to a college with 2000+ others. I struggled socially but responded relatively well to the academic side of things. I completed the A maths in music I started in year 11 and did ASs in Chemistry, Biology and Music that year. got BAA respectively. I was aiming for Medicine (and Cambridge) so thought I was better off waiting for another year to apply. I thought a Gap Year would do be good and I was confident about getting A*s as I knew I could step up my slow year 12 pace. A relative was diagnosed with dementia in year 13 and I had to care for her emotionally. She became quite depressed and demanding. I found this draining and often skipped skipped school either directly because of threats she'd make regarding her life or something more indirect. I ended the year with about 68% attendance. I never studied at home because I was either occupied with support or just trying to distract myself from problems through media. I did appalingly and got a ton of D-Us which made my respectable AS grades average out as BCC as well as the D I got in Further Mathematics taken in year 13. I suspect that Cambridge saw that I was the top scorer in my centre for GCSEs, saw that I did reasonably well in my first year despite the challenge of living alone and so invited me to interview despite the overall grades. I must have done well enough in interview for them to think I could make their A*A*A offer. Hopefully this answers all of your questions so I don't have to keep explaining myself .

Slow bro's inspiring story
    The first of many posts expressing their incredulity at my Cambridge offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I'm aiming for A*A*A* to make up for my rather mediocre to poor BCD grades that I currently hold in the subjects in question.

I'll edit in my Study Plan. And will do a weekly target check.

While A*A*A* would be nice, I need only A*A*A to meet my offer for Cambridge so if time-management continues to be an issue, I will concentrate on Further Maths and Chemistry. I'm concentrating on those for my A*s because I'd need 94% in Bio to get an A* as I only have a B in the A2 CW. I need only get a B in either of the exams to get an A over all in Bio so for this reason it's of a lower priority. But I will try my best with them all .

April Easter break is crazy past paper season so I will be trying to definitely be past paper then by the latest.
    The revision must start now
    parties are all cancelled
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    With the correct amount of dedication, you'll have no trouble in meeting your offer :thumbsup:

Self-belief is key! :yep:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Thanks

In my case, it's (re)learning for the interim. Revision will be later.

ReputationRep:

I'll edit in my Study Plan. And will do a weekly target check.

I don't want to offend or anything because a Cambridge offer is absolutely amazing but how did you get one with BCD AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You've already done the hard bit (getting an offer), there's nothing to stop you now :sexface:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Well (re)learning in my case but yes!

(Original post by Indeterminate)
    With the correct amount of dedication, you'll have no trouble in meeting your offer :thumbsup:

Self-belief is key! :yep:
    Thanks.
    But it's just going to be hard work. And no more TPIT and hard problem threads to depress me . Now's not the time to feel incompetant.

(Original post by frances98)
    I don't want to offend or anything because a Cambridge offer is absolutely amazing but how did you get one with BCD AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I interview really well. Must be the glasses.

ReputationRep:
    No more gym
    100% revision till end of exams

ReputationRep:
    Then time management will not be an issue
    Name:  g7.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  98.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    Well (re)learning in my case but yes!

Thanks.
    But it's just going to be hard work. And no more TPIT and hard problem threads to depress me . Now's not the time to feel incompetant.

I interview really well. Must be the glasses.
    Must be the hair surely

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!!! Also if you don't mind me asking what did you get for your GCSEs and what course did you apply for?? Sorry just curious
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Best of luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My method of revision for Biology and Chemistry is read and do in chapter questions and end of chapter exam questions. I've also printed out old spec questions for each topic for awhile. Further Maths will bear more thought but for now I'm doing the harder questions of each in chapter exercise then most of the mixed exercise. I will try to find a way to incorporate Bockston and Chandler questions and TeeEm questions.

Week 1
    Chemistry
    Module 5
    Rates (topics .1-.5) in chapters + 8 old spec questions
    Equilibrium (topics .6-.7) in chapters + 4 old spec questions
    Acid and bases (topics .8-.15) in chapters + 8 old spec questions

Biology
    Populations in chapters + 8 old spec questions
    ATP, Photosynthesis in chapters + 8 old spec questions
    Respiration in chapters + 8 old spec questions

Further Mathematics
    Start and complete the 60 question review exercise in M2 book on Projectiles, Centres of masses and Work energy Power
    Complete Matrices chapter in Fp3 and make a start on Vector chapter getting to the middle exercise, if possible.

My week will be Wed-Tue I think. I'm starting late this week - obviously.
    I may do my plan up to week 4 in the OP but I cba rn and there are more important things to do .

(Original post by TeeEm)
    Then time management will not be an issue
    Name:  g7.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  98.5 KB
    Yea, I have to work my ft job but I see people at my workplace balance that, kids and post-graduate study so that's inspiring.

(Original post by Rftra)
    No more gym100% revision till end of exams
    Unfortunately no . As much as I despise the place, I have to go. The endorphins will help and it will positively help my body confidence and self-esteem.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    In to watch

What are the exams that you have in May? :holmes:

BCD and cambridge offer fuaaaaarkkkk

what is the course ?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snickercell)
    Good luck!!! Also if you don't mind me asking what did you get for your GCSEs and what course did you apply for?? Sorry just curious
    My GCSEs are 5A3B2C1D

My conditional offer was the exception, not the rule. Extenuating circumstances + good AS + supportive reference + decent interview performance.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    In to watch

What are the exams that you have in May? :holmes:
    Further Mathematics (a pretty balanced profile. No 3 or higher level applied unit. I considered M3 because I despise both D1 and S2 but it doesn't seem wise)
    FP2
    FP3
    S2
    M2
    D1

Biology
    Bio 4
    Bio 5

Chemistry
    F324
    F325

(Original post by Tabstercat)
    BCD and cambridge offer ****

what is the course ?
    Well I had ABCCD . I did A level maths in years 11 and 12 :holmes:. ASs in Chemistry, Biology and Music in year 12 which were As. A2s in those as well as a full A level in FM in year 13. Year 13 was a disaster.

The Natural Sciences Tripos
    Biological
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    FP2
    FP3
    S2
    M2
    D1

Biology
    Bio 4
    Bio 5

Chemistry
    F324
    F325

Well I had ABCCD . I did A level maths in years 11 and 12 :holmes:. ASs in Chemistry, Biology and Music in year 12 which were As. A2s in those as well as a full A level in FM in year 13. Year 13 was a disaster.

The Natural Sciences Tripos
    Biological though
    Which one of those are retakes? Personally, unless you are a seriously quick writer I would be inclined to avoid D1 at all costs. It's possible to do really well in S2 as it's a few key concepts that you can practice. In terms of Fp2 and Fp3, the content isn't too great but they can really trip up people. Have you considered doing S3 as opposed to doing D1?

Can't help with the other two

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck!!!! You are certainly good enough if you managed to get an offer
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    Which one of those are retakes? Personally, unless you are a seriously quick writer I would be inclined to avoid D1 at all costs. It's possible to do really well in S2 as it's a few key concepts that you can practice. In terms of Fp2 and Fp3, the content isn't too great but they can really trip up people. Have you considered doing S3 as opposed to doing D1?

Can't help with the other two
    All of them . They were the modules I took in '14 plus Fp1 which I have 94 in. I was originally meant to be self studying D1, M2 and S2 as the applied class clashed with music and I refused to drop anything. I didn't and kind of did this cram attempt in the weeks/days before hand to varying degrees of failure.
    Spoiler:
    Show

That's what you get for cramming. I think I tried reading D1 the day off or day before. Anyway, new beginnings! Fp2 surprised me. I did no papers outside of class but I had gotten an A* scrape in the mock before so thought that making it to the occasional pure math class was paying off. Clearly not. I remember predicting 68/75 or so in the real exam so was a shocker. Fp3 was about right. I missed a lot of lessons but most of it made sense and wasn't conceptually difficult.

S2 will require practice, yes! I've not considered S3, no. I've already made my entries but I'll look at the spec description this weekend. Robbie242 has said it's easy but I don't trust those that do STEP.

And thank you for checking me out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.