Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Engine ruined due to common design fault, what are my rights against manufacturer? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have a 2007 fiat panda diesel. There is a major design fault with the air filter box that could result in rain water getting into the cylinders and ruining the engine which could cause thousands of pounds worth of damage or write the car off.

http://totalcarmagazine.com/tech/201...ltijet_engine/

This is a well known problem as the link shows. It's clearly a fault of the manufacturer 'Fiat' and damage directly is a result of this manufacturers design fault not ware and tear or fault of the owner. My car is second hand and well beyond warranty, but this is a well documented and known design fault by fiat.Should my engine be damaged by this defect would I have any rights to claim against Fiat?

Further more should Fiat have recalled these cars when the fault became apparent?

Recently Vauxhall Zafira owners have been refunded after a manufacturer defect caused fires to start in the heating system. Refunds have been granted on cars as old as 2005.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly if you are worried about this pop into your local Fiat dealer parts & service department. IF it is as serious of an issue that you described there SHOULD be a recall issued. If there has been a recall and work has not already been done on your car to prevent this from happening then the dealer should be able to help you out, warranty or not.

Failing that ask on the Fiat owners forum (http://www.fiatforum.com/). Those sites are fantastic for finding fixxes for issues like these. Once you find the fix find a local mechanic (NOT THE DEALER, They WILL rip you off) to implement it for you (or do it yourself) and bobs your uncle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Hi

I have a 2007 fiat panda diesel. There is a major design fault with the air filter box that could result in rain water getting into the cylinders and ruining the engine which could cause thousands of pounds worth of damage or write the car off.

http://totalcarmagazine.com/tech/201...ltijet_engine/

This is a well known problem as the link shows. It's clearly a fault of the manufacturer 'Fiat' and damage directly is a result of this manufacturers design fault not ware and tear or fault of the owner. My car is second hand and well beyond warranty, but this is a well documented and known design fault by fiat.Should my engine be damaged by this defect would I have any rights to claim against Fiat?

Further more should Fiat have recalled these cars when the fault became apparent?

Recently Vauxhall Zafira owners have been refunded after a manufacturer defect caused fires to start in the heating system. Refunds have been granted on cars as old as 2005.
    Having gone to the trouble of finding the article, why not read it as well? It clearly states that if you've got that car/engine combination to inspect the air filter housing, and if it's warped either replace it or find some way of bodging it. There's even a photo showing a warped filter housing, so you know what to look for.

Frankly if you know there's a potential problem, can easily check for it, and do nothing about it, then you don't deserve any sympathy. Recalls are only issued for issues with a significant threat to safety, and this isn't one. I wouldn't expect anything from the manufacturer, you've bought a cheap, mass-produced car, build quality is not going to be exceptional, lifespan is going to be limited.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt the manufacturer will do anything about it, especially if your car is currently working fine. I had a google and apparently there is a mod you can fit to fix the problem or seal the top of the filter housing. If you do that, just remember to not use something that can't be removed when you want to swap the air filter.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.