Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does/has your accent become more "proper" since you started studying at Cambridge? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Have you found that, the longer you spend in Cambridge studying, the more "proper" your accent becomes?

Or did your accent remain the same for the duration of your time there?

ReputationRep:
    Speaking for my daughter, who arrived with an American accent, yes, her accent has become markedly British and, I suppose, "proper". Her case is atypical, however, because she has lived in France and Italy, learning the languages like a native speaker with each move. So this is just another move - I do not believe it is contrived so much as unconsciously fitting in.

ReputationRep:
    It happened to me, and as far as I can tell it happens to pretty much everyone who starts out not speaking flawless RP.

ReputationRep:
    Some do, some don't.
    It's the same wherever you live. Some people get influenced by the accent of surrounding more easily than others/some find it more difficult to change their accent.
    It also depends on how much you want to change it or you'd rather keep your accent for identity, too.

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't changed. Only been here for a term though. I'll get back to you

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that the actual local Cambridge accent is fairly Essex-y, and although there are a lot of students from private schools and/or the South-East, there's actually a huge variety of backgrounds at Cambridge, and not one noticeable uniform accent.

I didn't have a very strong accent before I started - fairly neutral with some West Midlands intonation, and it did change while I was there, but mostly through picking up bits and pieces of other people's pronunciation. Most people do this subconsciously.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is irrelevant to the thread but I already have a very 'proper' accent living where I do in rural Oxfordshire, it'd probably put those students to shame

ReputationRep:
    I moved to Sheffield for uni and I have picked up a bit of a Yorkshire twang

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.