Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the difference between being transgender and just being like a male? Watch

Announcements

What's the difference between being transgender and a woman that just happens to like the same things as guys? I'm female and have been a tomboy since I was about 7. I enjoyed fighting and sports in the playground as I prided myself on being faster and stronger than others. I was always stronger and quicker than my male cousin who was 2 years younger than me but taller. At 14 I got up at 5 am in the morning to do pull ups on my bunk bed,sit-ups and step ups (I must have thought step ups would get me fit lol). I liked the look of my muscly arm and toned stomach I guess gaining muscle was like 'my thing' in life. Other girls were talking about boys but I never really fancied guys my own age (just had crushes on male teachers).

The guys that I liked the look of I just used as a role model and kind of tried to be like them in personality. Ive always done this,not really copy, but been intrigued by certain people. I noticed that I had developed breasts (though they have always been tiny) and since they didn't contribute to a toned defined body I didn't think much of them, I thought they would look a bit odd with muscle but they didn't really bother me. I've never been the feminine type I'm very laid back and quiet don't really do chit chat. Now I'm past my mid twenties I've not changed I do think I'd have been better as a guy as I like nothing feminine or girly at all the things I pride myself on most are physical strength, fitness and being mentally tough too, I like animals but am not a people person the sight on a baby does nothing for me.

When people say the word transgender it fits me in a way but then there are lots of tomboyish women. I don't even know if transgender even exists I just see myself as a female who likes all the typical things males might like.

ReputationRep:
    Transgender is what gender you identify as and your sex is different to what you identify as. You may like football, cricket, boxing etc... but you may still register yourself as female and are therefore a female who likes male things while being a female in terms of sex (physical gender role, i.e. you have a vagina).

So, pretty much that. Let's say I was transgender and being sexually male and registered myself as female in my mind, it would make me transgender. Now my actually being gay (I actually am), I register myself as male but I just like the same sex and register myself as male.

Make sense?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.