Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is everyone meant to be happy? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do you think everyone is meant to achieve happiness in life? I'm seriously starting to think that I am not meant to be happy. I don't mean it in the sense of I get what I want and I'm still not happy. I mean it more in the sense that when I have happiness it only exists in my life for a short time, before zooming back out. I think so of my problem is I don't know how to make myself happy and I'm dependent on others making me happy. But I don't know how to get out of that trap.

I feel like my life is just awful. I don't even feel like I'm living it. I have nothing in life. Apart from my academics I have achieved nothing life, actually my academic aren't not even anything special (which you can probably tell my grammar in this post). I just don't feel like I have many positives in my life. I don't have any hobby. I have no real interests outside of football and binge watching crappy tv shows. I have no real friends- I had some bad news tonight and I looked on my phone to see if there was anyone I could message to talk about it and there wasn't a single person. I have over 100 contacts on my phone and I barely talk to any of them.

I just sit here and wonder sometimes is this really my life? Is this really it? All I want to be in life is happy. I don't want money, I don't want fame. I just want to be happy. And I just don't feel like that'd achievable at the moment. And so it's made me wonder do you think some people do go through life never actually being happy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thinking2016)
    Do you think everyone is meant to achieve happiness in life? I'm seriously starting to think that I am not meant to be happy. I don't mean it in the sense of I get what I want and I'm still not happy. I mean it more in the sense that when I have happiness it only exists in my life for a short time, before zooming back out. I think so of my problem is I don't know how to make myself happy and I'm dependent on others making me happy. But I don't know how to get out of that trap.

I feel like my life is just awful. I don't even feel like I'm living it. I have nothing in life. Apart from my academics I have achieved nothing life, actually my academic aren't not even anything special (which you can probably tell my grammar in this post). I just don't feel like I have many positives in my life. I don't have any hobby. I have no real interests outside of football and binge watching crappy tv shows. I have no real friends- I had some bad news tonight and I looked on my phone to see if there was anyone I could message to talk about it and there wasn't a single person. I have over 100 contacts on my phone and I barely talk to any of them.

I just sit here and wonder sometimes is this really my life? Is this really it? All I want to be in life is happy. I don't want money, I don't want fame. I just want to be happy. And I just don't feel like that'd achievable at the moment. And so it's made me wonder do you think some people do go through life never actually being happy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends what kind of happiness you seek, if it's just short term happiness and indulgence then you'll never be content for a long period. Take action, you control your own happiness in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Nope! Not all kinds of happiness can achieve. But some of them can achieve and also helpful to lead a happy and conjugal life. lol

ReputationRep:
    I have often asked myself the same question.

Sorry if i go on a bit but I'm trying to summarize all of the thoughts and conclusions I have made about happiness in general

Firstly, your happiness is only controlled by you, and your interpretation of the world.
    People are naturally unhappy with their lives due to the primeval instinct to always want more so that they can survive and overpower any competition. However, even in modern society where people are encouraged to achieve their goals in a more positive way, over-analysis of what you value in life and what you are realistically able to achieve can lead to an increasingly negative view of the world, and this is why more intelligent people tend to suffer from depression more commonly than others... 'ignorance is bliss'.

Unfortunately, I still believe that we live in a deterministic universe, where everything that has or will happen has been 'decided' since the beginning of the universe. This implies that we do not have free will, but instead are simply actors of a play which has already been written, under the illusion that we can make completely spontaneous choices.

Where this leaves the statement i mentioned earlier: 'your happiness is only controlled by you, and your interpretation of the world', I am not entirely sure; but I would guess that, since your views are purely influenced by predetermined factors, you don't actually have any actual control over whether you are happy or sad. Instead you just have to hope that in the future you will be thrown into a situation where you would have thought you would be happy (e.g. a stable relationship), and hope that you will indeed be contempt in this situation, and not then want more in order to be happy.

In conclusion, I believe that we have no actual power to influence the future or our feelings, no matter how much it seems that way. However I still live my life as if I do have this power as I don't see any more ideal alternative. So my advice to you, without trying to promote suicide, is in bold above.
    Of course, this is only my interpretation from a short 16 years of experience. I hope that this helped in some way or another.
    Regards,
    Joe

P.S There's a positive to literally everything if you just look for it!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, everyone deserves to be and should be happy as long as they respect others and do no harm.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Everyone deserves happiness. You should always try to be happy because you owe it to yourself! :yep:

And whenever you see someone who's unhappy (for whatever reason), you should make the effort to help them smile again. That's what life's all about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Everyone deserves happiness. You should always try to be happy because you owe it to yourself! :yep:

And whenever you see someone who's unhappy (for whatever reason), you should make the effort to help them smile again. That's what life's all about!
    What are you made of!? Every comment of yours is full of positivity and inspiring. I can tell you were raised by a Queen!

If only more men were like you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry you feel that way, and I hope you can find your happiness soon because I genuinely believe that everyone can be happy and that happiness is something of our own making. I know it's hard to accept that, particularly when it constantly seems to be everyone else's actions that influence our happiness. Still, I think it's very important to constantly and actively seek whatever makes you happy - you may not have found it yet, but there will be something that does.
    You said you had no hobbies, have you tried exploring new ideas and searching for them? Hobbies don't just come out of nowhere. And in terms of your relationships with the people around you, those take work and effort to build them to a point where you can be happy and natural and really speak with them about your life.
    All I'm really trying to say here is that happiness doesn't just happen, it has to be chased and found and maintained. And if people can do that, then anyone can be happy.
    I hope you can turn this around and find what you're looking for!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrokenLife)
    What are you made of!? Every comment of yours is full of positivity and inspiring. I can tell you were raised by a Queen!

If only more men were like you!
    ^That bit is true

And I appreciate your kind words :hugs: I'd say that I'm made of all that I see in other people

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.