The Student Room Group

Will I have to move out of my accommodation in the 6 weeks?!

Okay, so I am a 'mature student' (I am bloody 23 so it kills me to say that), I have a 3 year old daughter and I have applied for adult nursing for this September.
I am so confused about the housing as I assumed that if I rented a house on the campus (I can not go into halls) that I can stay there until I complete my course but now I've heard that me and my daughter will be made to move out over the 6 weeks holidays and have to find another house to live in for the next semester! I have applied to universities where I have literally no family (I live too far from any unis to drive) so I am petrified about having to move three times during my course, especially with a young child. Family accommodation is very rare and I think UEA is the only uni that offers it on campus, others expect you to rent privately which is very expensive in the places I've applied to. Can anyone help at all to clarify this? I'm hearing too much bullcrap and need help from someone who knows. Thanks!
Reply 1
What uni are you going to?

Student accommodation will usually give you a contract for one academic year, you usually would have to move out over the summer though. A few halls offer summer stays at an additional costs.

however I doubt you will be able to stay in student accommodation with your daughter and therefore will probably need to live in private rented housing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jenx301
What uni are you going to?

Student accommodation will usually give you a contract for one academic year, you usually would have to move out over the summer though. A few halls offer summer stays at an additional costs.

however I doubt you will be able to stay in student accommodation with your daughter and therefore will probably need to live in private rented housing.

I have applied to Norwich UEA, Cambridge ARU and Northampton Uni. Only UEA offer actually family housing as I have found that uni is aimed more towards young and single people, but sad really that they do not cater for people who have families etc lol.
Original post by Xsimonelouisex
I have applied to Norwich UEA, Cambridge ARU and Northampton Uni. Only UEA offer actually family housing as I have found that uni is aimed more towards young and single people, but sad really that they do not cater for people who have families etc lol.

Have you considered whether twin studios or something along those lines would be a possibility?
I plan to only go to UEA so have not 100% checked with Cambridge ARU (Northampton I shall be okay with as my boyfriends sister lives there and has just offered to help). UEA said that all their twin rooms and studio flats are 18 and over so I can not take my daughter. They have houses but they are apparently limited. To be honest if I actually know soon if I have got in then it hopefully will be okay. Just worried about not reaching my credits in my access course x
Original post by Xsimonelouisex
Okay, so I am a 'mature student' (I am bloody 23 so it kills me to say that), I have a 3 year old daughter and I have applied for adult nursing for this September.
I am so confused about the housing as I assumed that if I rented a house on the campus (I can not go into halls) that I can stay there until I complete my course but now I've heard that me and my daughter will be made to move out over the 6 weeks holidays and have to find another house to live in for the next semester! I have applied to universities where I have literally no family (I live too far from any unis to drive) so I am petrified about having to move three times during my course, especially with a young child. Family accommodation is very rare and I think UEA is the only uni that offers it on campus, others expect you to rent privately which is very expensive in the places I've applied to. Can anyone help at all to clarify this? I'm hearing too much bullcrap and need help from someone who knows. Thanks!

I'm afraid you need to confirm with UEA, but it is likely that as their family housing is very limited you would only be allowed to live there for one year. If you wanted to guarentee stability you would need to rent privately- Norwich isn't all that expensive rent wise. However have you considered how you will manage with a child on an adult nursing course? What will happen when you have placements at night?
I have no idea just yet, she will be going to her Nan's from Friday afternoon until Sunday which will help but to be honest, I will work something out. I have a friend who lives in Norwich who would not mind having her, I just do not have any family down there that I could live with. I am hoping I hear back soon so that I can get a private rented house and even if I do not, I will take the family housing and then in that year look for houses :smile: x
To be honest, no matter what the downsides are I want to do this course and have worked too hard to back out now. I will find a way :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending