Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I am 22 yet still classed as a mature student 😂 I have a daughter who is 3 but will be a month off of turning 4 when I start my course.
    I have yet to receive an offer as I am still waiting for interviews from 2 and the other I have not got my interview until Feb.

Basically, I am just so scared about accommodation and finance! Obviously, being a mother I can not live in halls or live the typical student pot noodle life as I have my daughter to provide for. I have been told I can not work during my course because of placement etc but I'm concerned how I will live! My friends are single and in halls and only get £1000 a month and that is only when they are there, in the 6 weeks they get nothing! Because of this I am worried about how I can afford to rent a house as mine currently with bills costs £780 a month excluding my car insurance, car tax, petrol etc.
    Also, if I take the family accommodation on campus at the one uni that has it or well, any accommodation that the uni has helped me get, will I have to move out in the holidays or can I stay?

I have applied for Norwich UEA, Cambridge ARU and Northampton Uni.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xsimonelouisex)
    Okay, so I am 22 yet still classed as a mature student 😂 I have a daughter who is 3 but will be a month off of turning 4 when I start my course.
    I have yet to receive an offer as I am still waiting for interviews from 2 and the other I have not got my interview until Feb.

Basically, I am just so scared about accommodation and finance! Obviously, being a mother I can not live in halls or live the typical student pot noodle life as I have my daughter to provide for. I have been told I can not work during my course because of placement etc but I'm concerned how I will live! My friends are single and in halls and only get £1000 a month and that is only when they are there, in the 6 weeks they get nothing! Because of this I am worried about how I can afford to rent a house as mine currently with bills costs £780 a month excluding my car insurance, car tax, petrol etc.
    Also, if I take the family accommodation on campus at the one uni that has it or well, any accommodation that the uni has helped me get, will I have to move out in the holidays or can I stay?

If you re a single mum then it's likely you would get dependentsand childcare allowance on top of the normal bursary (the bursary on its own comes to around £400 a month), check out the calculator on the NHS bursary website and then you should get the loan of 2.3k a year. I couldn't say exactly how much you would get as I m not a parent myself but I get about £620 a month just for me if that's any help.
    Most university accommodation contracts for nursing last until July I believe but with your circumstances you can always request an extension.

ReputationRep:
    That is brilliant, thank you for your reply!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    That is brilliant, thank you for your reply!
    Glad to help One other thing is to check if the universities themselves offer any form of financial support, its not always possible because we have nhs support but its best to check as you never know

ReputationRep:
    I shall do then! A lot sadly don't which sucks but as long as I have enough money to live, I don't mind much. Going to suck not being able to work though; I assume placement will keep me busy though! X

ReputationRep:
    I shall do then! A lot sadly don't which sucks but as long as I have enough money to live, I don't mind much. Going to suck not being able to work though; I assume placement will keep me busy though! X
    A lot of my student colleagues work, so it is possible. Bank shifts as an HCA are the easiest to fit around assignments/placements.

ReputationRep:

I was doing nursing for 2 years and it's safe to say that there was a large majority that were mature and quite a lot with children! They seemed to manage, it's about how determined you are as well and I'm sure it'll be all worth it at the end

ReputationRep:
    I hope so, I'm doing the access course at the moment and although I'm finding it hard between having a child and doing my work, I am managing lol

ReputationRep:
    Hi Louise, I'm currently in access and applying for September for mh nursing, I'm 29 with 3 children, my friend is on adult nursing in 2nd year and she is a single mum, she said she gets 1150 a month in bursary that includes £350 a month for childcare and she has to pay around £80 a week towards her rent and is exempt from council tax. Also we are still able to claim our child tax credit and child benefit, hope this helps good luck! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Plus she told me she gets 3 payments a year around £800 each time for her loan payments x

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.