Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone.

I hope someone one will be able to give me a good insight of the palaeontology and evolution course at Bristol university.

I have a few questions, I'm currently considering to chooses this course as its a great passion of mine! Can anyone tell me how many days a week the course is and how your finding the experience of it all...is it really hard work? I know uni won't be plain sailing and I'm going to have to put a lot of work into it. Any information will be greatly appreciated, thankyou in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racheldbz)
    Hello everyone.

I hope someone one will be able to give me a good insight of the palaeontology and evolution course at Bristol university.

I have a few questions, I'm currently considering to chooses this course as its a great passion of mine! Can anyone tell me how many days a week the course is and how your finding the experience of it all...is it really hard work? I know uni won't be plain sailing and I'm going to have to put a lot of work into it. Any information will be greatly appreciated, thankyou in advance.
    Hello, current second year Palaeontologist here. Lectures run 5 days a week, with differing numbers of lectures per day (generally anything from 1-4 lectures a day). Wednesday tends to be mornings only, as the afternoon is reserved for interuniversity sports events (or so I understand). The course requires more work than A-levels, so I would say that it is relatively hard work, though whether this is any more intense than a pure biology or geology course I'm not certain.

If you have any course specific questions, feel free to ask and I will answer the best I can.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thankyou so much for your response! That's amazing your in your second year, how did you find your first year? Also what qualifications did you have to get accepted on the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racheldbz)
    Hey, thankyou so much for your response! That's amazing your in your second year, how did you find your first year? Also what qualifications did you have to get accepted on the course?
    It was very enjoyable, though some parts more than others lol (for example I discovered rather unexpected interest in botany, while also coming to the conclusion that I really don't enjoy petrology). But that's the great thing about the first year, the course is so broad that you can find out for yourself which fields interest you most.

As for qualifications, unfortunately I can't really answer that directly as I took a gap year and therefore applied with my A2 levels already complete, so I wasn't given any conditions. I believe the current entry requirement is AAA (one of which must be biology), though Bristol does have a policy of sometimes offering a lower entry requirement (e.g. AAB) if you have an EPQ, though they really like this qualification either way - I did mine on Permian synapsids.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.