The Student Room Group

Choices, oh choices.

International student here. Applied for CS and got offers from UWE (320 points), City University London (BBB), Birmingham City (BBC), De Montfort (280 points) and lastly, waiting to hear from Nottingham Trent.

I'm predicted AABb (maths, physics, ICT and english language..respectively) but not being able to actually attend opens days, it's pretty difficult to decide on what university to pick. I was hoping for City but rent in London will be an continuous burden. In that regard De Montfort seems better since living costs are WAY more affordable in Leicester, at least. But I'm not exactly sure how well it's regarded?

Basically, yeah. I'm not so sure about the rest of them either... :colondollar:
Hence, help me choose please.

I'd be very grateful! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you mad? Why have you applied to **** unis... when clearly you have fantastic grades in solid subjects... what is wrong with you man?!
Original post by HipsterDalek
International student here. Applied for CS and got offers from UWE (320 points), City University London (BBB), Birmingham City (BBC), De Montfort (280 points) and lastly, waiting to hear from Nottingham Trent.

I'm predicted AABb (maths, physics, ICT and english language..respectively) but not being able to actually attend opens days, it's pretty difficult to decide on what university to pick. I was hoping for City but rent in London will be an continuous burden. In that regard De Montfort seems better since living costs are WAY more affordable in Leicester, at least. But I'm not exactly sure how well it's regarded?

I agree with the other person. You have really high/good predicted grades yet you have applied to mediocre universities. @TrojanH

With the predicted grades you have you could have applied to:
King's college London, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Exeter, Southampton etc.
^ A lot better universities with your predicted grades.
Reply 3
Original post by TrojanH
Are you mad? Why have you applied to **** unis... when clearly you have fantastic grades in solid subjects... what is wrong with you man?!

nop, not mad at all. :K:
I know I could've got into better universities but being an international student means having to pay CRAZY amount of tuition fee which tbh, for me, would not be a possibility..

Hence, why I had to choose these, as you put em, "****" unis instead. :smile:
(also why I want to pick the best from ones I've applied to..)
nop, not mad at all. :K:
I know I could've got into better universities but being an international student means having to pay CRAZY amount of tuition fee which tbh, for me, would not be a possibility..

Hence, why I had to choose these, as you put em, "****" unis instead. :smile:
(also why I want to pick the best from ones I've applied to..)

That was really horrible what TrojanH said. If you feel like those unis are good for you, then by all means go for them!

Have you applied to do a year in industry or are they all just the normal 3-year courses?
Reply 5
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I agree with the other person. You have really high/good predicted grades yet you have applied to mediocre universities. @TrojanH

With the predicted grades you have you could have applied to:
King's college London, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Exeter, Southampton etc.
^ A lot better universities with your predicted grades.

As I replied to the other person: Better universities = increased fee.
(around an increase of 5000-6000 pounds! :s-smilie: )

So yeah. I'm okay with the current picks. Though I don't know which ones to finalise..? :smile:

(on a sidenote, I do have a vague future plan: if I DO manage to afford better unis in an year, I'd be willing to transfer in the 2nd year. What are my chances? :redface:)
Reply 6
Original post by thecatwithnohat
That was really horrible what TrojanH said. If you feel like those unis are good for you, then by all means go for them!

Have you applied to do a year in industry or are they all just the normal 3-year courses?

see? you're so kind. :biggrin: Thanks for that uplifting reply.
And no didn't pick an year in industry. Probably would go for a masters (look at me talking about masters when I still gotta finish dat stupid a levels! :u: ). But if I do change my mind, then hmm could try to transfer to an year in industry course. (if that's possible i.e. :h: )
Reply 7

You realise he's underselling himself, right?

He'll get a loan to cover it anyway, but clearly he can get into really good place, especially as an international student - he can get into top unis that are internationally recognized and are going to permanently make it much easier for him and his career.

What I said wasn't horrible... what is good for one student may be bad for another, these things are relative to student caliber. This guy's obviously a student of high caliber and so would have a much easier time landing the dream career he's wanted if he took up an offer from a stronger university.

But, it is his choice at the end of the day. Personally, if I'm already spending crazy amounts of money to further my education, I may as well spend that little bit extra to go to a far better university.
(edited 8 years ago)
see? you're so kind. :biggrin: Thanks for that uplifting reply.
And no didn't pick an year in industry. Probably would go for a masters (look at me talking about masters when I still gotta finish dat stupid a levels! :u: ). But if I do change my mind, then hmm could try to transfer to an year in industry course. (if that's possible i.e. :h: )

Honestly, don't pay any attention. People on here are obsessed with the top 10 unis but if they're not convenient for you, then don't feel pressured to apply for them.

It's also good that you're aspirational, because you'll know where you want to go with your degree. :yep:

In all honesty I think that a year of industry will do you a whole lot of good, simply because it'll give you the hands-on experience that employers are looking for (they're always complaining about graduates being unprepared for the workplace) which 3 year courses don't really do. If you do change your mind, it shouldn't be much of a hassle. :smile:

If you need help comparing, perhaps look at uni stats, and focus mainly on the level of student satisfaction, formal contact hours, graduate salaries and costs to actually live in the area!
Reply 9
Honestly, don't pay any attention. People on here are obsessed with the top 10 unis but if they're not convenient for you, then don't feel pressured to apply for them.

It's also good that you're aspirational, because you'll know where you want to go with your degree. :yep:

In all honesty I think that a year of industry will do you a whole lot of good, simply because it'll give you the hands-on experience that employers are looking for (they're always complaining about graduates being unprepared for the workplace) which 3 year courses don't really do. If you do change your mind, it shouldn't be much of a hassle. :smile:

If you need help comparing, perhaps look at uni stats, and focus mainly on the level of student satisfaction, formal contact hours, graduate salaries and costs to actually live in the area!

He could go to a Uni in his home country of equal stature to these places for much less.
Original post by TrojanH
You realise he's underselling himself, right?

He'll get a loan to cover it anyway, but clearly he can get into really good place, especially as an international student - he can get into top unis that are internationally recognized and are going to permanently make it much easier for him and his career.

What I said wasn't horrible... what is good for one student may be bad for another, these things are relative to student caliber. This guy's obviously a student of high caliber and so would have a much easier time landing the dream career he's wanted if he took up an offer from a stronger university.

But, it is his choice at the end of the day. Personally, if I'm already spending crazy amounts of money to further my education, I may as well spend that little bit extra to go to a far better university.

SOLID POINT and I would if it were just a "little bit" extra.
nonetheless, do appreciate your input. :smile:

PS. I'm a girl :biggrin:
Original post by TrojanH
x

A student may go to a really good university and get a great degree opening the door to many job opportunities but at the end of the day, as we get older the actual talent in the field will get sifted from the medicore and on that level, there is no 'I went to uni x which is better than yours' because the focus will be on the experience they have and how good they actually are at what they do than what grade they got on a uni certificate.

ALRIGHT! *self note to transfer to year in industry asap :biggrin: *
I'll go check uni stats now. THANK YOU, you kind stranger. :u:
(oh & just curious. are you in a CS course too..? :smile: )
A student may go to a really good university and get a great degree opening the door to many job opportunities but at the end of the day, as we get older the actual talent in the field will get sifted from the medicore and on that level, there is no 'I went to uni x which is better than yours' because the focus will be on the experience they have and how good they actually are at what they do than what grade they got on a uni certificate.

If the candidate wants to open more doors for herself then going to a better Uni is a must nowadays... there is NO "i went to a uni thats better than yours" but there IS "im sorry but your application has been rejected"... it's just competition of the graduate market.

I'm not saying a person who goes to a mediocre uni won't get a job, if they do the internships, the summer projects and whatnot, they probably have just as good a chance as the rest of the candidates, but there are so many people applying to X position that if you COULD go to a better university, have a better education, then you probably WOULD have the edge over the rest.

if i was the candidate i would probably try to figure out to pay less by going to a cheaper uni and then transferring in the second year like she suggests, but at the end of the day, university is not just about RANK, there are many reasons why these top unis are in demand... dismissing this entirely is just absurd.
ALRIGHT! *self note to transfer to year in industry asap :biggrin: *
I'll go check uni stats now. THANK YOU, you kind stranger. :u:
(oh & just curious. are you in a CS course too..? :smile: )

Here is the site in case you have any trouble finding it. :smile:

Indeed, I've applied for Software Engineering specifically :h:
Original post by TrojanH
x

Preach Brother!

There's a nice saying "spend nice or spend twice."
Umm OP The tution fee difference between Nottingham and City is £2000.
The fees for kcl this yeare 14000.Only Surrey and Exeter are expensive for international students

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey. Leicester isn't a very nice place. Nottingham is much nicer, Birmingham is a fantastic city, and UWE will be great for other reasons - the West is lovely.

Leicester and Nottingham have very similar living costs. Birmingham will be slightly more expensive,UWE much more so and then City.

Just food for thought.
Original post by jontyfernz
Umm OP The tution fee difference between Nottingham and City is £2000.
The fees for kcl this yeare 14000.Only Surrey and Exeter are expensive for international students

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a difference of 400£ between Nottingham and City (£12,600 and £13,000 respectively) and KCL is £16,250. UWE is even cheaper. So one contribute to living costs with that difference in tuition fees. :smile:
Original post by Smonnie
Hey. Leicester isn't a very nice place. Nottingham is much nicer, Birmingham is a fantastic city, and UWE will be great for other reasons - the West is lovely.

Leicester and Nottingham have very similar living costs. Birmingham will be slightly more expensive,UWE much more so and then City.

Just food for thought.

Just the kind of answer I was looking for! :smile:
I've heard good things about Bristol too. Birmingham's like the 2nd London in us foreign people's perception :tongue: which is awesome but Birmingham City Uni is much lower in the league table than the rest of em so... not really sure Birmingham. Oh and why'd you say Leicester isn't nice..? I mean how's Nottingham better? Don't mean to sound rude but I'm genuinely curios (and clueless.. :colondollar:).

Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending