The Student Room Group

Higher Geography CfE 2015/2016

Scroll to see replies

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah we finished it about 2 weeks ago too. Still in school until tomorrow though :/ I bought it too, and I agree - it's pretty useless. It has stuff from the old higher about changing sea levels etc.
Reply 21
Original post by ashleymacleod
Have people finished the course now? We finished the course about 2 weeks before the easter holidays and we still have 3 weeks left after the holidays for revision.

I bought the How to Pass book at the start of the year and it has been useless, probably been used about twice. It doesn't even contain any questions.

I've started revising for the exam already and there is so many things to remember :0

Our school had finished the vast majority of the course by late November/early December. We did the Assignment in mid December and then prelim revision right through until late January. After the prelim we did Hydropshere and then we have just been going back over everything again revising the knowledge.

I am with you on that book, I don't like it. For me it's just overkill. I like the Leckie & Leckie books. The Success Guide is really good in my opinion and there are also Practice Papers and a Grade A Booster book. :smile:
Help!!! Any tips for revising for Higher Geography? Having a really hard time trying to get all the facts into my head?
Any idea is much appreciated! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm exactly the same!! Stressing so much about it 😭
Original post by molly221
Help!!! Any tips for revising for Higher Geography? Having a really hard time trying to get all the facts into my head?
Any idea is much appreciated! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been doing so much revision, but there's so much content to learn that as I'm learning sections I forget parts of other topics. I'm focusing on areas which I find more difficult such as the physical side because I find human and global issues easier. Try to focus on parts of the course which are going to be in the exam and not things which are irrelevant.

I like to summarise a section on one bit of paper by making a poster or a mind map. I find flash cards really useful for geography.

Practising past paper questions is really useful too and especially drawing diagrams to support explanations as it's good to get into the habit of that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by emma_georgia998
I'm exactly the same!! Stressing so much about it 😭

There is so much you potentially need to know but the thing is only about 30% of the things in the course will come up in the exam. There will be at least one topic that is not even covered as there are nine but only eight question (excluding the map skills question: not looking forward to that) come up.

Good luck with studying though x
I've been doing so much revision, but there's so much content to learn that as I'm learning sections I forget parts of other topics. I'm focusing on areas which I find more difficult such as the physical side because I find human and global issues easier. Try to focus on parts of the course which are going to be in the exam and not things which are irrelevant.

I like to summarise a section on one bit of paper by making a poster or a mind map. I find flash cards really useful for geography.

Practising past paper questions is really useful too and especially drawing diagrams to support explanations as it's good to get into the habit of that.

Yes, I have been doing so much revision too. I feel like geography is all I have been doing.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try.

Do you think that the stuff in the 2015 cfe higher paper will come up? or do you think it will be all different questions?
Yes, I have been doing so much revision too. I feel like geography is all I have been doing.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try.

Do you think that the stuff in the 2015 cfe higher paper will come up? or do you think it will be all different questions?

Yeah, I've abandoned my other subjects at the moment haha.

My teacher thinks that different questions will come up, however there is a possibility that things that came up last year could show up. My teacher predicted a question on soils, glacial deposition, land-use conflicts, but it's hard to tell.
Yeah, I've abandoned my other subjects at the moment haha.

My teacher thinks that different questions will come up, however there is a possibility that things that came up last year could show up. My teacher predicted a question on soils, glacial deposition, land-use conflicts, but it's hard to tell.

Haha. Do you do english as well. I do. Its the day before Geography. I don't know how I am going to manage. Haha. I also think the rural topic might come up.

Have you finished the course? What was your assignment on?
Haha. Do you do english as well. I do. Its the day before Geography. I don't know how I am going to manage. Haha. I also think the rural topic might come up.

Have you finished the course? What was your assignment on?

I did higher english last year as I'm in sixth year. English before geography sounds awful, just make sure you manage your time and you'll do fine :smile:

We finished the course about 2 weeks before the easter holidays, so we're just revising now. Have you finished the course?

My assignment was comparing the quality of life between the inner-city and suburbs. I feel like it went okay, but it's hard to tell with assignments.
I did higher english last year as I'm in sixth year. English before geography sounds awful, just make sure you manage your time and you'll do fine :smile:

We finished the course about 2 weeks before the easter holidays, so we're just revising now. Have you finished the course?

My assignment was comparing the quality of life between the inner-city and suburbs. I feel like it went okay, but it's hard to tell with assignments.

I know, I am dreading it but like you said if i manage my time I should be fine. You are very lucky you have done english. Are you doing advanced english?

Thats very similar to mine although was coming the environmental quality across a transect of the CBD, Inner city and suburbs.

I thought the assignment was really hard. I didn't feel like we had very much time.
I know, I am dreading it but like you said if i manage my time I should be fine. You are very lucky you have done english. Are you doing advanced english?

Thats very similar to mine although was coming the environmental quality across a transect of the CBD, Inner city and suburbs.

I thought the assignment was really hard. I didn't feel like we had very much time.

Nope I'm not doing advanced english, don't think I would be able to cope with it or any advanced highers haha. I did advanced history and dropped it after 3 weeks.

The assignment involved a lot of individual work which I didn't mind tbh. We started our assignments in September and then had the write up in December which was great because I didn't have assignments for other subjects at that time.
Reply 32
Does anyone have any predications about what the physical environments formation question will be on? Last year they had the formation of a stack and a sandpit which I'm quite envious of. I'm worrying about it because of the amount of possible features it could be on. I'm leaning to it being on a glacial feature but I'm not sure which one, then again, it could also be a soils formation question.
Original post by tiff4ny
Does anyone have any predications about what the physical environments formation question will be on? Last year they had the formation of a stack and a sandpit which I'm quite envious of. I'm worrying about it because of the amount of possible features it could be on. I'm leaning to it being on a glacial feature but I'm not sure which one, then again, it could also be a soils formation question.

My teacher thinks glacial deposition might come up. Really hope it doesn't 😭
Reply 34
My predictions (although I obviously can't make any assumptions):

Physical Environments
Atmosphere (less likely to appear, in my opinion)
(Global heat budget/oceanic circulation/ITCZ)

Hydrosphere
(Hydrological cycle)

Biosphere
(Podzol/Gley)

Lithosphere
Probably depositional/fluvio-glacial (Terminal Moraine/Drumlin/Eskers/Outwash Plain)
(Rural Land Use Conflicts in a glaciated upland area)

I think Hydrosphere, Biosphere and Lithosphere are most likely to appear; although I think Lithosphere may be worth 10 marks meaning there would only be one other PhysEnv. question.

Human Environments
Population
(Migration)

Rural
(Causes and impact of Rural Land Degradation)

Urban
(LEDC Traffic/MEDC Housing)

I think there may be 2 rural questions (10 marks) and one urban question (5 marks)

Global Issues (Dev. & Health and Climate Change only)
Development & Health
(Causes of Malaria/Development Indicators)

Global Climate Change
(Causes of climate change/Impact of climate change)

Remember these are only my predictions having looked at the Specimen and 2015 Papers; although I am fully aware that the content of these do not necessarily dictate or indicate what will appear this year.

Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ROC10

Physical Environments

Hydrosphere
(Hydrological cycle)

Biosphere
(Podzol/Gley)

Lithosphere
Probably depositional/fluvio-glacial (Terminal Moraine/Drumlin/Eskers/Outwash Plain)

I think Hydrosphere, Biosphere and Lithosphere are most likely to appear; although I think Lithosphere may be worth 10 marks meaning there would only be one other PhysEnv. question.

Human Environments
Population
(Migration)

Rural

Urban

I think there may be 2 rural questions (10 marks) and one urban question (5 marks)

Development & Health

Global Climate Change

Remember these are only my predictions having looked at the Specimen and 2015 Papers; although I am fully aware that the content of these do not necessarily dictate or indicate what will appear this year.

You missed out Brown Earth soil which could also come up. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
You missed out Brown Earth soil which could also come up. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

It could but these are just my predictions and I think one of the other two are more likely to appear this year. :smile:

Who knows though.
Aww sorry I thought you were outlining the biosphere course. Just making sure that you knew that was in course 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Aww sorry I thought you were outlining the biosphere course. Just making sure that you knew that was in course 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's okay. :biggrin:

Do you have any predictions for what might come up this year? :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by ROC10

Physical Environments

Hydrosphere
(Hydrological cycle)

Biosphere
(Podzol/Gley)

Lithosphere

Human Environments
Population
(Migration)

Rural

Urban

Development & Health

Global Climate Change

Your predictions are really similar to mine which I hope is a good thing!! I really feel like atmosphere will come up and it'll be either ITCZ and/or Oceanic Circulation. In terms of Biosphere my teacher predicted brown earth soil as that hasn't came up in a long time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending