Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How often are you worried you'll offend? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: How afraid are you of offending?
    Never...
    38.24%
    Sometimes...
    20.59%
    Often...
    17.65%
    All the time...
    23.53%

24/7 tbh

(Original post by Zargabaath)
    Because PoC just means non white. A black person could be a PoC and an Arab could be a PoC. The black person could be wary of offending the Arab. I also seriously doubt anyone really watches out for offending white people either so the OP is perfectly fine.
    Tumblr definitely does not worry about offending white people. :laugh:

As someone who is white, I don't get offended when it comes that. Considering the struggles those who aren't white face, I feel it would be a bit trivial to complain.

(Original post by Eveiebaby)
    So is this poll only for white, straight people then? I can see that you've implied this in the OP.

Anyway as someone who is a POC, a woman and "different sexuality" (I guess you mean different from the standpoint of being straight) I don't feel worried about offending people with what I say. I don't see how anyone could unless you have such strong prejudices that you literally cannot prevent them from peppering your utterances with negative stereotypes and slurs.
    To disagree from the sexuality standpoint as someone who is, als]o, not straight - discrimination definitely exists within the LGBTQIA+ community, as well. I've met gay people who frown down on bisexuals / pansexuals for not "picking a side" and there is a lot of transphobia from all areas (this is apart from sexuality, but should still be acknowledged). Also, asexuals, when not being completely ignored, also tend to face a lot of cynicism from other parts of the community.

This could apply to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acupofgreentea)
    To disagree from the sexuality standpoint as someone who is, als]o, not straight - discrimination definitely exists within the LGBTQIA+ community, as well. I've met gay people who frown down on bisexuals / pansexuals for not "picking a side" and there is a lot of transphobia from all areas (this is apart from sexuality, but should still be acknowledged). Also, asexuals, when not being completely ignored, also tend to face a lot of cynicism from other parts of the community.

This could apply to anyone.
    I agree that there is a lot of discrimination within the lgbt+ community (and homophobia in many countries where POC originate) but I think they tend to be more conscious of discrimination in general and are more likely to be more sensitive at least to identifying their own discriminative thoughts, even if they are willful and don't want to change.

Those that want to avoid dishing out discriminatory behaviour tend to be more receptive to educating themselves about other disadvantaged groups and make more of an effort to learn the struggles of those from different walks of life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.