Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm new here - go easy on me
    Question re MA in English Literature -
    I have a BA in Communications and am looking to apply to King's MA in Contemporary Literature, Theory and Culture.
    While I am fluent in English, I am not from the UK and have a few questions re the application essay - 4,000 words related to the field of study.
    Can anyone advise whether this essay is meant to be classically academic in form, meaning - thesis-type research question, reference to academic sources, bibliography etc.? Or is it more "free form", as in - mainly meant to display my English writing skills?

ANY information, advice and/or examples would be so incredibly helpful!
    Many thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    The application essay is meant to show that you have the capacity to succeed on the course. So, yes, it should display a skill for writing in engaging English, but that isn't the only important thing. For a course in literature and culture, you will also need to display a flair for analysing literary works, knowledge of the chosen topic, an ability to engage critically with the written word. Personally I would say that things like sources and bibliography are not particularly relevant (except to show that you know how to use them properly, I suppose), it's more the content of your essay that matters.
    Most UK students who have studied a relavent subject for their first degree would submit an example of written work from their studies, so that should give you some idea of what kind of work should be submitted.

ReputationRep:
    I can't personally help with this question unfortunately but have you tried posting in the international postgraduate section?

Best of luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.