Adventures of a studious, naked snail Watch

Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello everyone and welcome to the house blog of fun!
Tiny bit of background:

Started college in 2012, but dropped out in Autumn 2013 and then worked until Autumn 2015. Now I'm back studying German, Philosophy and A2 Sociology. Feels weird being 19 and still there

What am I gonna blog about?

I'll mainly be posting about my language studies/improvements (German) and probably just _general studying stuff (I really want to get the top grades so...internal...panic).

WHY YOU SHOULD STICK AROUND!!

- I'll be posting some German songs I like, just in case you have an interest.
- I can be a source of motivation to make you studyyyy
- I will be posting cool, literal German words and other German stuff
- I'm awesome

Naked snail?

The German word for slug is "Nacktschnecke" which literally translates as "naked snail" :rofl:
ENJOY!
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Das ist echt gut
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
Das ist echt gut
Asolare
Rep:
?
I probably should have started this on a Monday or a Tuesday, as I have German AS on Tuesday and could think of more to write about but ah well
Weekend

-----
Over the past 2 days I've only paid a slight bit of attention to German. I quickly created a few written vocab lists (to digitise) for some things I was partially interested in learning - e.g. directions, nature, illnesses - it sucks how much of this I would have learnt at GCSE and forgot due to my lack of interest at the time

I also started doing something I've been meaning to do for a while now. To practice my speaking I've started off by taking 5 minutes out of the day to stand in front of a mirror and talk about a topic chosen at random from a list of 20 or so I have. I did it today with "describe 1 english and 1 german film you've seen" and it went pretty ''ok'' but clearly a lot of work needed as I kept umming and ahhing (also need to start using the German filler words more oft too).
Misc

-----
A technique I use for learning words is similar to flashcards, but instead I incorporate pictures. I use a powerpoint presentation and put the english word on 1 side, then the german & a picture on the back. I have to say it has definitely been, so far, the most effective way of learning words for myself. I'd recommend trying it just to say
SONG RECOMMENDATION

----
Okay if you have an interest in German and you don't know CRO then this makes me sad

Ich liebe CRO!!!! Seine Leider sind total fantastisch und macht mich euphorisch fühlen. Die Leider sind ein Mix von Pop & Rap (""Raop"" und er ist besonders beliebt unter Jugendliche.

Dies ist eine meine Lieblingslieder von CRO:

Parting words

---
Ok idk what else to say, sorry i couldn't put more in!! Hopefully I'll have more to say on Tuesday? ENJOY YOUR TINY BIT OF THE WEEKEND
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Report 3 years ago
Good luck with your blog! :woo:
Asolare
Rep:
?
My AS German on Tuesday was cancelled, hence the later update
--
Monday-Friday
--
This week hasn't been that eventful in terms of German & study unfortunately (the same can't be said about friendship drama..eugh). On Thursday we covered some food vocabulary, though it felt like more of a GCSE recap than anything... I think the only new words I can recall learning were starch-free, lentils, and ready meals.

I've carried on practising the 5 minute speaking tasks with myself - I think the most recent topic I did was "choose 1 German and 1 English film and then describe them" which was okay. UNFORTUNATELY I LOST THE LIST OF WORDS I RECORDED THAT I DIDN'T KNOW WHICH IS IRRITATING.

I have a lot of things to do this weekend, but no German homework so I think I'll finish studying German noun suffixes for neutral words, then read ahead through the next chapter of our German textbook and look up vocab I don't know. I also have to plan for a Philosophy essay on cosmological argument next week and I'm hoping I can get an A on it again (my last two results were A then B"+" which is pretty good considering how ****ing difficult it is to write a philosophy essay).

Oh and I've also started reading the German translation of 1984 by Orwell - unfortunately the edition is from like.. the 80's so a lot of the words are spelt differently (e.g. daß vs dass) and there seems to be a strange obsession with hin/her e.g. hin[past participl].
--
SONG RECOMMENDATION
--
Ich mag nur zwei/drei Lieder von ihm, aber er ist noch ein talentierten Musiker. Ich bin der Ansicht, dass dies Lied über die Fixierung der Gesellschaft auf Schönheit... aber ich weiß es wirklich nicht.

--
Parting Words
--
I don't have much to say here again! But I will leave you with another amusing German word - one of the ways of saying ''queue'' is ''Warteschlange" which literally means ''wait snake''.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Okay so I kinda forgot about this for a while and got very lacklustre about German, but I got back on track recently so yay.
----------

Recent updates:

> I have my official speaking exam in 4 weeks and it's bringing me to total tears.
> I have a mock speaking exam in 6 days which is bringing me to total tears.
> My working at/predicted grade for German AS was changed from A/B in December to now A!!!!!
> I have a parent's evening...which I'm going to by myself... in 5 days.
> On my most recent German essay I managed to score 33/35 (18/20 on content and 5/5 on grammar, vocab, and accuracy) which is my highest yet and the highest in the class this yearrr!!!
> My teacher told me in private I was her star student and I wanted to cry with joy yes I AM GONNA BE A TEACHER'S PET FOR ONCE.
> I managed to accidentally use Konjunktiv I correctly and astonish my teacher...as myself.

Today:

So today I've been making some notes on various topics for my German mock oral exam this coming Thursday. I've been creating ''scraps of answers'' to possible questions (e.g. effect of tv on children, whether advertising is good/bad, a film I've seen recently) and employing more complex structures. I've started using past tense conditional passive constructions (ex: wenn der Fernseher nicht geschaffen worden wäre,....) and using Konjunktiv I constructions wherever i) possible and ii) they would be the only option and not sound 'stiff'.

Started clearing up some gaps in my grammar today - covered the Konjuktiv I in more detail (before I just vaguely knew what it was and that you use 'sei' for is/was) and passive constructions in other tenses. Borrowed ''Aktion Grammatik'' von our college library and will see if there's anymore stuff in there I need to go over. Also been using my own copy of Wort für Wort which has been a gottsend *+*

Did some practice grammar (cloze) tests today using old AQA past papers online - did all four of them and got 9/10 on every single one; the bloody irregular verbs keep throwing me offffffffffffffff. I also need to learn some modal particles at some point (Hammer's German Grammar book appears fantastic for this) which should be the last major grammar hurdle for me. Vocab from here on innn.

So yeah that's all woops that was a lot of text um do I have a song recommendation hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yes:

Geiles Leben

!
---
Oh and in more general good news, all my predicated grades in my subjects have been bumped up to AAA (no pressure...)
Asolare
Rep:
?
Recent news:

- Realised I pause so much and say "um" too many times when trying to practice for a German speaking discussion X.X
- Realised I sound a lot more German when I am incredibly ill, but then struggle to actually speak...
- Just ordered a book on Amazon called Don't Sweat The Small Stuff and fingers crossed it'll have some nice advice.
Weekend
Grammar:

I've been recapping Konjunktiv II (Subjunctive 2) again - this site http://www.dartmouth.edu/~deutsch/Gr...junktivII.html - has some pretty good information about other uses of Kon II outside of just conditional.

I've also made 2 powerpoints with about 100 irregular verbs for me to try and learn; set out as :
3rd person present: hilft *(sometimes this just says ''regular'' if it's only irregular in past tense)
3rd person imperfect: half
past participle: geholfen
I also need to try and recap all the various forms of modal + auxilliary verbs (I'm sure I know most of them) just so I don't have to keep pausing to think about them,

Vocab:

Haven't focused too much on this over the weekend; I'm trying to collate a list of vocab that I could use for each of the 4 topics in the speaking exam (alongside the vocab that I already have & know). I believe I've got enough now to make a list for Medien, but not for Kultur or the others!

I also feel like I should learn more opinion phrases; I mean like, I know a few, but it's like once I use one of them then I think nope not using it again.

And in the Summer I kinda wanna devote each of my weeks to learning vocab from one specific area in German - e.g. pollution, sexuality/gender, religion, easter idk. that'd be fun.

Speaking test:

I keep trying to practice this using old cards and stuff but ;( i keep finding it so difficult not to pause and come out with um and ahh and then I realise i'm not using specific vocabulary and keep forgetting to form the complex sentences and back up MY OPINIONS ITS SO DIFFICULT THROWS A CHAIR. I'm gonna hopefully get some more practice with someone in my German class so that should be good =]

So yeah that's all again here's a pic of a sloth
Asolare
Rep:
?
Recent News:

- Realised that trying to revise my German words is basically my life now
- Had to mark my own philosophy essay today?? it's almost as if a teacher is maybe paid to do that as part of their job idk???
- Realised my aim is to be able to sing along to CRO's "Intro" (song) at the same speed
Monday
Grammar:

Once again, not too much today. Recapped the passive when I had to explain it to someone else and I took a quick look in Hammer's grammar book for more German modal particles - I've covered aber (+aber auch) & allerdings, I need to go through more but vocabulary is just overwhelming me :'(

Vocab:

Found loads of vocab from the Kommunikationstechnologie section which I just... do not recall us doing in class or me ever writing down and recorded down some vocab from Ehe-Partnerschaft & Werbung. I've pretty much collated all of the vocab I need now - just a few more words from Ehe & Partnerschaft and I should be good to revise the **** out of them over the next two weeks.

Oh and after that I'll need to get vocab for Sport & Urlaub [it won't come up in my oral but obv. on the written euerhgh].

Mock Speaking Test:

Still crying over this and haven't really practised any speaking today, I read some German aloud but didn't do any questions and stuff which is narughghghg.

Tomorrow I'm gonna ask this [cute] guy in my German class if we can practice German together outside of class more often and also on Thursday before I do the mock speaking and break down. That should be fun ^.^.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Recent News:

- I keep buying easter eggs for people then eating them .. . . . . .
- Did a small 5/6 minute mock speaking card practice with teacher today and was much better than I thought
- Got someone's phone number and yeah i think they're cute i hope we can speak more.
Monday
Grammar:

Modal.****ing.Particles. Honestly I've only looked about 4/5 in total but it's the fact that some of them - yes I'm looking at you auch and doch - have an insane number of ways of modifying a sentence. Apart from that my other Grammar seems to be okay except a minor mishap with Präpositionen.

Vocab:

Finally coming to the end of the creation of all my powerpoints for vocab (at ****ing last), will make it much easier to start revising the vocab again over the holidays I learnt a handful of new vocab in my class today regarding friendship & love & whatnot.

Mock Speaking test:

Feel more confident about it on Thursday. Gonna practice with 2 people on the day beforehand and just gotta try to not pause so much and keep saying errrrrrr. I think I'll be okay!

Others:

Starting Philosophy revision today...turns out I forgot a lot...and we have a mock the first day back...so yay.

woop
Asolare
Rep:
?
Recent news:

- I bought another easter egg and have managed not to eat it...think my self control has returned.
- Saw loads of people for the last time today for 2.5 weeks, sniffles.
- Went to my parent's evening (by myself =///) appointments and they were all great My German teacher said she's quite astonished by how I've done so well in German AS considering my GCSE grades and how long it's been since I did German; she also said I seemed to be a ''natural linguist'' and seem to be able to understand concepts and lots of grammar instantly which is also amazing. And my Philosophy teacher marked my essay on the test which I failed omfg it was an E grade and I just I TOLD HER NOT TO MARK IT FOR A REASON LOL.
Wednesday
Grammar:

Unsurprisingly modal particles - made notes about eben, eh, denn and another one I can't recall. I also went through the Passive in Hammer's German Grammar book and omfg just when you think you understand something... The ''dummy subject'' es is so irritating I can't understand how the Germans came up with it. It's like, if you want to say "there is dancing" you could say "es wird getanzt" which looks like it translates as it is being danced and it's just mindblowing.

Vocabulary:

Nearly finished all the powerpoints, only got 1 or 2 left to do then woohoo. I don't think there's bounds of vocabulary I have to recall now - just a few specific, strong words here and there that I can just throw in to make me sound cooler. Also need more opinion phrases because I am fed up of saying Ich bin davon überzeugt...

MOCK SPEAKING TEST:

IS TOMORROW AT 11AM LORD HELP. I should be okay, my teacher told me I just need to relax more and she believes I'll do really well on the actual speaking exam. Gonna do a lot of practice tomorrow with someone beforehand and I hope I can practice with him in the holidays cause hes <3 adorable and nice <3 yes <3 ich bin mich in ihn vernarrt <3 =D.

fini
Asolare
Rep:
?
Recent news:

- I decided to start learning French ..help me
- I did my German speaking mock and it wasn't that bad 15 minutes flew by like nothing.
- I ate another easter egG BUT THIS ONE WAS BOUGHT FOR ME SO.
Thursday & Friday
Grammar:

German: M to the o to the d to the etc. particles again. I keep trying to go over them but it's so hard trying to recall all of their possible meanings - the only ones I'm relatively certain on are aber, allerdings and eh (I literally mean ''eh'', it is a modal particle I'm not just typing it as an expression).
======
French: Back to the very basics. Personal pronouns, verb conjugation and gender =)

Vocab:

German: Just gotta revise basically all of my vocabulary half term now... about 1000 words or so to get drilled in my head (I probably know a fair few already but I'm guesstimating the total ). Ehe & Partnerschaft will be the hardest as there aren't that many specific words you can use - especially when simply trying to describe one's personality.
=====
French: Don't even know where to start. I'll obviously need to get the basic modal & auxiliary verbs and then just try to build up a basic vocab of about 30 words that I can use to form practice sentences. Probably basic personal stuff about age, what I study and so on.

OTHER REVISION:

Okay I have a mock Philosophy test the first lesson back so I need to revise for a lot of that as well - I think I'll be okay but there's a lot of the arguments I need to remember in premise-step-conclusion format so that I get good marks yo.

Oh here's a French song I was listening to which is really like I guess cheesy-ish pop and also uh well if you find the English translation, it's on a very weird theme xD

That's all =]
Asolare
Rep:
?
Ah dear, I forgot about this! Hehe.

Recent news:

- I was home alone for 2.5 days and loved every minute of it.
- A book I ordered (Don't Sweat The Small Stuff) arrived and I'm very glad I purchased it.
- I decided to start re-reading "Nausea" by Sartre again today, but I'm not sure why...
- I have no idea what titles to put on this post today uhh
Revision in general
Been going pretty okay tbh, I feel like I should be achieving a bit more but still - so far so good. Philosophy has been the easiest thus far (but wait until I get to philosophy of religion and have to remember like 5 different ontological arguments!!!) and German's been pretty good too - just me crying at all the words I still don't know hehe.
DEUTSCH
So I've reached an astonishing place whereby I seem to be able to remember German words incredibly easily and in big numbers. I've been able to remember 30+ new words a day with very little effort and I'm kinda astounded why I can do it now. . So now I've been going through all of my handouts and a few past papers + examiner's reports to grab the words I don't recognise and learn them (they're mostly verbs tbh).

I've communicated to a friend that we should practice some more speaking when we get back from the holidays - she got 1 mark off a B in her mock speaking so with more practice she should be able to get there! Oh and yes I GOT 46/50 WHICH WAS AN A WOOHOOOOO I went absolutely crazy and jumped on the spot ...literally... I've never felt so proud of myself .

I did a reading/writing/listening past paper on Monday and got 97/110 (88%) (wrongly counted 96 and realised my mistake) which is great 'cause it's the best result I've had so far incl. in-class. I realised I dropped marks easily because I rushed - esp. the reading section - so to prove a point I did just the reading section from a paper today and took it slower.....and I got 30/30 so!! I've figured out one of the problems I'm having
Je veux français apprendre(?)
So I don't even know where I'm going with this. I'm trying to learn basic french verbs but their conjugation is so bloody bizarre??! I've maybe accrued somewhere between 50-100 words that I can use to form sentences but there's so much I've overlooked - like well "accusative pronouns" [called this in German idk about French] and forming longer sentences with connectives. I've taken a look at negative sentences also which seem relatively easy

Rn I'm just trying to stick to Duolingo, Lingvist and listening to French music each day so my interest doesn't wane off.

DAS ALL
Paracosm
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
x
You like Yelle? Try "Complètement fou" by Yelle :lol: similar genre
Asolare
Rep:
?
(Original post by iEthan)
You like Yelle? Try "Complètement fou" by Yelle :lol: similar genre
I always mean to go through their albums on Spotify but never get round to doing it - I'll keep this in mind and listen to it tomorrow.

Oh well it's technically tomorrow now, so today
Asolare
Rep:
?
I did try that song fyi, it sounded pretty good also ^

Recent News:

- I decided to try and learn british sign language as well...jfc I need help
- I have made a commitment to learn 100 words/terms a week or so (and regularly review them after) on topics I'm interested in for German.
- I received a spare easter egg from my grandparents which was nice.

Revision in general

It's been CHOPPY, I've been managing to force myself to do a lot more revision and I'm ploughing through philosophy a lot quicker, but as a result my german has dropped drastically and I'm finding it hard to force myself to learn any kind of french at all. ... lazinesssss... but nevertheless I shall power through. Only a week to go until my proper philosophy mock D:

DEUTSCH

I've not been doing muchhhh. I've managed to conquer about 70 out of 100 irregular verb forms I've been tryna learn and I've picked up words here and there & actually properly started trying to read German version of 1984 and not just skipping pages and reading random bits from it (A). I need to do another mock test tomorrow and try and focus INSANELY hard on the listening section as it's where I drop the most marks. YEah also the thing I mentioned in recent news - already started and the topic ima do first is government cause it'd be nice to learn some basic political vocab.

Je veux francais apprendre

Cryy it's hardddd but I am managing slightly better - I'm still picking up vocab but I am ignoring word order, tenses and basically all the important things..... i keep tellingm yself i'll focus on it soon but it gets pushed behind german nd philsoophy. arghhghghg

thts all i cba to format right now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (14)
16.09%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (6)
6.9%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (16)
18.39%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (11)
12.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (11)
12.64%
How can I be the best version of myself? (29)
33.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed