Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    lol I'm actually going now...

Dunno about you but I'm just working on my dissertation, why are you awake this late?
    Just can't sleep

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THE EPIC Panda)
    "Safe Space"
    What uni is this so i can avoid it for life?

ReputationRep:
    The NUS and the "Safe Space" and "No Platform" rules.
    What is safe space and no platform?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackien1)
    What is safe space and no platform?
    So the definition from Wikipedia for a safe space is as followed.

"In educational institutions, safe-space (or safe space), safer-space, and positive space are terms used to indicate that a teacher, educational institution or student body do not tolerate perceived anti-LGBT violence,harassment, hate speech or disagreement, but rather are open and accepting to opinions aligned to their own, thereby creating a safe place for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and all students."

So from the definition you can see that it is a hug box. Only allowing one opinion to be heard while disagreement is silenced. This is really bad for a university as it should be about the sharing of ideas and not silencing them.

If you want to see the NUS stance on safe space look HERE . I would like you to remember what you think free speech is and apply it to what NUS is saying there.

The second part, No platforming

Here is the dicription of the NUS no platform policy

Basically, it is used to stop speakers with apposing views to the NUS from coming to speak at universities.

(Original post by Lawliettt)
    What uni is this so i can avoid it for life?
    You can't. Every university follows these policies to a greater or lesser extent. Thankfully, I haven't seen this sort of *******s at my uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJStudent)
    Plymouth University

A lot of effort seems to go into censorship for sake of creating a "safe study space".
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    When you nod your head, but you wanna say no....

Well, first they removed The Sun newspaper from the SU, then banned Blurred Lines from playing in the SU...those were the recent ones, I struggle to remember further than that...Oh, also the "Know the Line" campaign, as if any reasonable human being doesn't know the difference between flirting and rape. It's frankly insulting.

(Original post by Numero Uno)
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    I don't like being in my flat. I'm a first year student and I have to go back for my second semester in a week.

Basically since the start we've kept ourselves to ourselves and the only conversation has been a bit of small talk in the kitchen. I partly blame myself for not making more of an effort, but they are just as bad. To make things even worse one of them is extremely messy. Sometimes I wonder whether he just throws food on the floor to annoy me. One of them appears to have moved out over Christmas so now theres just 2 of us.

I swear that this is the reason why I'm not enjoying uni at the moment. I'm enjoying the course and I've made some friends. I've also joined a society that is very active, and we often have social events. The flat is just very lonely and depressing. I feel like a large part of my uni experience is missing, and sometimes I end up crying in my room (and I'm a guy!). The loneliness just makes me want to be at home, and then I get homesick.

I really hope I can get to live in a house with my course mates next year. This has been a lonely, depressing and socially awkward 4 months in the flat, and I'm not looking forward to the next 4.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    UCL - accommodation

expensive, you don't get to choose, **** hole and the list goes on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JB1807)
    I don't like being in my flat. I'm a first year student and I have to go back for my second semester in a week.

Basically since the start we've kept ourselves to ourselves and the only conversation has been a bit of small talk in the kitchen. I partly blame myself for not making more of an effort, but they are just as bad. To make things even worse one of them is extremely messy. Sometimes I wonder whether he just throws food on the floor to annoy me. One of them appears to have moved out over Christmas so now theres just 2 of us.

I swear that this is the reason why I'm not enjoying uni at the moment. I'm enjoying the course and I've made some friends. I've also joined a society that is very active, and we often have social events. The flat is just very lonely and depressing. I feel like a large part of my uni experience is missing, and sometimes I end up crying in my room (and I'm a guy!). The loneliness just makes me want to be at home, and then I get homesick.

I really hope I can get to live in a house with my course mates next year. This has been a lonely, depressing and socially awkward 4 months in the flat, and I'm not looking forward to the next 4.
    Hey, don't worry. I feel you none of my flatmates speak to each other at all and the one I thought was friendly and genuine has.. A dark side.

I'm glad you have course friends though, otherwise it'd feel even more depressing. Just pretend you live alone (easier said than done because of the seeing the disgusting mess others leave) and then maybe you'll feel better - at the end of the day you have met people you'd potentially live with in the future and that's incredible!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJStudent)
    When you nod your head, but you wanna say no....

Well, first they removed The Sun newspaper from the SU, then banned Blurred Lines from playing in the SU...those were the recent ones, I struggle to remember further than that...Oh, also the "Know the Line" campaign, as if any reasonable human being doesn't know the difference between flirting and rape. It's frankly insulting.
    Not too major then, but pretty OTT to be honest though. never mind can always be worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    Hey, don't worry. I feel you none of my flatmates speak to each other at all and the one I thought was friendly and genuine has.. A dark side.

I'm glad you have course friends though, otherwise it'd feel even more depressing. Just pretend you live alone (easier said than done because of the seeing the disgusting mess others leave) and then maybe you'll feel better - at the end of the day you have met people you'd potentially live with in the future and that's incredible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    So the definition from Wikipedia for a safe space is as followed.

"In educational institutions, safe-space (or safe space), safer-space, and positive space are terms used to indicate that a teacher, educational institution or student body do not tolerate perceived anti-LGBT violence,harassment, hate speech or disagreement, but rather are open and accepting to opinions aligned to their own, thereby creating a safe place for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and all students."

So from the definition you can see that it is a hug box. Only allowing one opinion to be heard while disagreement is silenced. This is really bad for a university as it should be about the sharing of ideas and not silencing them.

If you want to see the NUS stance on safe space look HERE . I would like you to remember what you think free speech is and apply it to what NUS is saying there.

The second part, No platforming

Here is the dicription of the NUS no platform policy

Basically, it is used to stop speakers with apposing views to the NUS from coming to speak at universities.

You can't. Every university follows these policies to a greater or lesser extent. Thankfully, I haven't seen this sort of *******s at my uni.
    I see, so then how would you suggest a uni go about policing the people who are like, bigots? Are you saying the whole idea of safe space is stupid or specifically that the unis are overdoing it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Do elaborate?
    Which bit in particular?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    Which bit in particular?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The bit I bolded about your flatmate having a dark side? I was intrigued.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I know my username references a song that begins "high on a hill was a lonely goatherd" but FFS, Y IS ROHO ON SUCH A ****ING MASSIVE HILL?!?!?!?!?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    UCL - accommodation

expensive, you don't get to choose, **** hole and the list goes on
    :afraid:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This is what's stressing me out the most about UCL! :blushing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    :afraid:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This is what's stressing me out the most about UCL! :blushing:
    UCL is overrated. However, you can choose your accommodation to an extent. I played my preferences to get the halls that I wanted and it worked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    UCL is overrated. However, you can choose your accommodation to an extent. I played my preferences to get the halls that I wanted and it worked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Overrated?! I've never heard that been said about UCL before! In what way would you say it is overrated, if I may ask?
    Oh that's good to hear then.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I can't really think of anything that is wrong with the university compared to other unis. It's 250 miles away from my home, but obviously that's just my problem. It's 3 miles out of town as well, but I expect that that is true at most campus unis. In hindsight maybe I should have chosen a city uni nearer my home.
    I go to Lancaster by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackien1)
    I see, so then how would you suggest a uni go about policing the people who are like, bigots? Are you saying the whole idea of safe space is stupid or specifically that the unis are overdoing it?
    Well your first point, people should be entitled to their opinions, regardless of if you or others agree or disagree with it. Universities are not there to police the thought of others. If that person is actively harming others on university grounds, then the university should intervene as it would be in breach of laws surrounding hate speech. These bigoted options should be challenged just like any other opinion.

My stance on safe spaces is that they stifle free speech in universities and they actively harm the ability of opposing opinions to be heard.

Yes there are universities that take it too far. If I take the example of Goldsmiths University, they go way overboard. Their former "diversity" officer Bahar Mustafa organised an event about diversity, but didn't allow white men to attend. Now this breaches UK law, but she was shielded by the uni and wasn't prosecuted. This is the sort of stuff I get annoyed at.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.