Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Haha I know a girl who has "crazy eyes" if you met her you would know what I mean. But she is the sweetest girl in the world, love her to bits.
    Haha aww, sometimes our perceptions are totally the opposite to what somebody is really like!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VannR)
    At Royal Holloway, attendance to all lectures is mandatory - we have to sign a register for EVERY SINGLE LECTURE/TUTORIAL/SEMINAR.
    What happens if you miss more than one lecture?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    Haha aww, sometimes our perceptions are totally the opposite to what somebody is really like!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So true, I make a concious effort to try not to prejudge people now.

ReputationRep:
    So true, I make a concious effort to try not to prejudge people now.
    Definitely - I tend to be pretty accurate in sensing what a person is really like after a few minutes of speaking but generally I don't like to just think of something horrible about them by just looking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely - I tend to be pretty accurate in sensing what a person is really like after a few minutes of speaking but generally I don't like to just think of something horrible about them by just looking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty lucky in that I rarely meet bad or *****y people

of the ones I have met...yeah I knew it straight away.

ReputationRep:
    What happens if you miss more than one lecture?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can miss lectures, but if by the end of the year you have less than 80% attendance it is a very serious offence which can result in expulsion.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty lucky in that I rarely meet bad or *****y people

of the ones I have met...yeah I knew it straight away.
    Haha that's awesome. Yeah, you tend to just get some kind of vibe - especially when they're not being genuine and have some "fake nice" act on. That puts me off a loott.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I decided to go to a school because it was known to be one of the best. It also has a reputation of being very rigorous. So I dislike that I can work my *** off to still only get OK grades.. -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VannR)
    You can miss lectures, but if by the end of the year you have less than 80% attendance it is a very serious offence which can result in expulsion.
    I see! Out of interest, what are the societies like at RHUL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha that's awesome. Yeah, you tend to just get some kind of vibe - especially when they're not being genuine and have some "fake nice" act on. That puts me off a loott.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Most of the crappy people I've come across don't even bother pretending to be nice, though in a way I suppose I prefer it as it makes them easier to avoid.

ReputationRep:
    I see! Out of interest, what are the societies like at RHUL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The societies here are actually fantastic. There are dozens of them from general interest ones (e.g Harry Potter, Left-Wing, Anime) to sports (e.g. lacrosse, fencing, horse riding, karate) to music (e.g. opera and a Cappella) and that's on top of all of the ones for each subject and the religious/ethnic group societies.

There really is something for everyone, and the socities I know of do things at least once or twice a week.

ReputationRep:
    The guild of students. A politically correct, toothless waste of space with ridiculous SJW, free speech infringing motives.

ReputationRep:
    Theres this particular lecturer that has a strict email policy. If we want to ask them anything we have to arrange a meeting because he thinks its better to talk face to face. We can only send him emails to arrange a meeting, meaning that if we just have a simple yes or no question, we have to go and see him. I dont understand why he cant just answer simple questions by email.

ReputationRep:
    That I'm graduating this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JB1807)
    Theres this particular lecturer that has a strict email policy. If we want to ask them anything we have to arrange a meeting because he thinks its better to talk face to face. We can only send him emails to arrange a meeting, meaning that if we just have a simple yes or no question, we have to go and see him. I dont understand why he cant just answer simple questions by email.
    That's annoying! We have one lecturer that won't respond unless we follow his strict requirements of an email. Sometimes the requirements don't even fit what we'd like to say!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VannR)
    The societies here are actually fantastic. There are dozens of them from general interest ones (e.g Harry Potter, Left-Wing, Anime) to sports (e.g. lacrosse, fencing, horse riding, karate) to music (e.g. opera and a Cappella) and that's on top of all of the ones for each subject and the religious/ethnic group societies.

There really is something for everyone, and the socities I know of do things at least once or twice a week.
    Wow that's amazing! I really wish it was like that here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, don't worry. I feel you none of my flatmates speak to each other at all and the one I thought was friendly and genuine has.. A dark side.

I'm glad you have course friends though, otherwise it'd feel even more depressing. Just pretend you live alone (easier said than done because of the seeing the disgusting mess others leave) and then maybe you'll feel better - at the end of the day you have met people you'd potentially live with in the future and that's incredible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, I don't have to pretend anymore. I just got back tonight and it appears both of them are gone, no sign of either of them all their stuff is completely gone. Don't really know how to feel about this at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JB1807)
    Well, I don't have to pretend anymore. I just got back tonight and it appears both of them are gone, no sign of either of them all their stuff is completely gone. Don't really know how to feel about this at the moment.
    Wow - were the two of them close? If so, maybe they moved out together and do not take that personally at all because I'm sure you're a great person who they missed out on becoming friends with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    culture revolves too much around partying and isnt academic enough. UCL atmosphere is more muted and more suited to my approach i think
    My uni had quite a big party culture but at the same time in lectures you were there to get stuff done it struck a good balance and no pressure until stuff had to be handed in unless you kept up with the work which was nice.

- It's in Glasgow
    - The campus is badly lit
    - the canteen food is sh*t
    - The library is nearly always packed to the rafters
    - Lack of study spaces outside of the library
    - Construction work constantly on the go
    - Pretentious young people who comport themselves as if they believe they are very special, intelligent, and desirable.
    - Other students
    - Poorly organised online library portal
    - Crappy email client
    - Emphasis on learning as means to be seen and heard, build a reputation, fill up one's CV, and out-do others
    - Old university syndrome: bit stuffy, academically pretentious, and resistant to progress/change
    - "Good but not great uni syndrome" chip on the shoulder when compared to the real high-flying institutions.
    - Other students
    - Crappy sound systems in lectures
    - People thinking it's okay to just walk into you
    - People hogging computers by leaving their stuff at computers to claim them whilst they go off and chat or have their lunch; similar thing happens in the gym
    - herd / tribe mentality
    - Pride and arrogance thinly veiled by false modesty
    - The fact that nearly everyone seems to be trying to act out some preconceived role rather than just being a person and letting things happen
    - The seemingly relentless anxiety and neuroticism of students which is often covered by a compulsion to talk oneself up and put others down
    - The alcohol-centric social activities
    - Lack of space to just chill, chat, or read
    - Pageantry
    - That the principal's salary is in excess of ten times that of many of the staff
    - Other students
    - The "I'm a grown-up now" act
    - Children who are constantly poised for one-upmanship argument
    - Other students
    - I could go on......

I sometimes go to the local public library because, quite frankly it's a nicer environment and more dignified than pretty much anywhere on the uni campus.

Mine would be the lack of active societies. (Aberdeen Uni)

Edit: someone mentioned that we should say our university names so feel free to add that in

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.