Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Product Design A Level - would it be useful if i want to pursue a publishing career? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i'm currently taking graphic products as a gcse. I want to do Product Design as an A level next year because I think it would help me for getting a publishing job in the future.

so, if you've done a Product Design A Level (or AS) how hard is it? do you personally think it would be a useful A level for the publishing industry?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    x

ReputationRep:
    CoolCavy
    You do Product Design don't you?
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
    i'm currently taking graphic products as a gcse. I want to do Product Design as an A level next year because I think it would help me for getting a publishing job in the future.

so, if you've done a Product Design A Level (or AS) how hard is it? do you personally think it would be a useful A level for the publishing industry?
    (Original post by Kholmes1)
    CoolCavy
    You do Product Design don't you?
    i do indeed AS atm thanks for tagging me :hugs:
    in response to the OP:
    it really isn't that hard imo, in fact i would say compared to my other A levels both the exam and the coursework are the easiest subject. The workload isn't horrendous either, especially not compared to art (do both and managing just fine ). As long as you are organised with your portfolio and get it done on time then it isn't stressful and the theory side is actually very interesting and quite straightforward i think it might not directly (not as much as something like english) but in combination it would help i think as you learn all about batch production, manufacturing methods etc
    any questions feel free to ask and i hoped that helped a bit x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    i do indeed AS atm thanks for tagging me :hugs:
    in response to the OP:
    it really isn't that hard imo, in fact i would say compared to my other A levels both the exam and the coursework are the easiest subject. The workload isn't horrendous either, especially not compared to art (do both and managing just fine ). As long as you are organised with your portfolio and get it done on time then it isn't stressful and the theory side is actually very interesting and quite straightforward i think it might not directly (not as much as something like english) but in combination it would help i think as you learn all about batch production, manufacturing methods etc
    any questions feel free to ask and i hoped that helped a bit x
    thank you!

so, what do you actually do in product design? what's the main focus on?
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
    thank you!

so, what do you actually do in product design? what's the main focus on?
    hey sorry for the late reply, ironically i was doing PD coursework :lol:

well i would say that the main focus is on practical (making and designing) as i have 7 lessons of practical a fortnight but 3 lessons of theory a fortnight however it is 50% 50% so do not neglect the theory side as you can't get a good mark without it xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    hey sorry for the late reply, ironically i was doing PD coursework :lol:

well i would say that the main focus is on practical (making and designing) as i have 7 lessons of practical a fortnight but 3 lessons of theory a fortnight however it is 50% 50% so do not neglect the theory side as you can't get a good mark without it xx
    I never knew what Product Design was I thought it was just kind of like graphics. Is it like a mix between resistant materials and graphics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kholmes1)
    I never knew what Product Design was I thought it was just kind of like graphics. Is it like a mix between resistant materials and graphics?
    From experience of doing both resistant materials and graphics at GCSE, what I've found so far with PD( I'm half way through the AS) is that it leans towards the resistant materials side massively with only aspects coming from graphics. For example, the only graphics content covered so far has been paper and card and printing methods compared to the rest being resistant materials based.
    It's such a good course and is easily done without any previous background in the subject I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Take product design after u have taken triple science

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsandaLFC)
    Take product design after u have taken triple science

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Triple science is irrelevant to PD, even double is which is what I did. None of the course content involves much science. Only thing I have came across that is mildly science based is the bio plastics section and even that was taught as if no one had done science nor has it ever appeared on a science specification that I've followed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.