Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BAN Sharia Law and the use of Sharia courts within the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    Also, for anyone who's interested, this is a very enlightening debate about Sharia Law conducted at UCL. The speakers against it are Maryam Namazie and a Human Rights lawyer who gives a legal argument and unequivocally shows how Sharia Law violates many of our human rights laws.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    lol
    Alya from corrie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    By recognising Sharia courts, you give a legitimacy to the "clerics" that run them. Therefore, Muslims will go and see them first. If you forbid them, their influence will obviously decrease. That's the whole point.
    The reason we allowed Sharia arbitrations was to improve legal engagement between the Muslim community (deferential to Sharia) and government. The idea that we suspend this apparatus and somehow that engagement will remain is not really logical.

What is more likely is that things will revert to how they were before Sharia arbitrations were recognised, viz. Muslims will give deference to Sharia and not engage English contract law. That will only serve to ostracise and separate our communities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Also, for anyone who's interested, this is a very enlightening debate about Sharia Law conducted at UCL. The speakers against it are Maryam Namazie and a Human Rights lawyer who gives a legal argument and unequivocally shows how Sharia Law violates many of our human rights laws.

You know most members on here and most people in the UK are not advocates of Sharia Law and don't need a lecture on it, everyone knows it violates human rights which is why Sharia Law is not legally recognized in the UK nor does anyone want it to be legally recognized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    You know most members on here and most people in the UK are not advocates of Sharia Law and don't need a lecture on it, everyone knows it violates human rights which is why Sharia Law is not legally recognized in the UK nor does anyone want it to be legally recognized.
    I know, but it's still discriminatory in civil and family matters and thus any manifestation of Sharia should be banned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyCherry)
    You do know that Sharia law is for Muslims ONLY, so why the hell would that concern you??!
    Replace Sharia Law with 'Holocaust' and Muslims with 'Jews' and realise how flawed your argument is.

ReputationRep:
    Replace Sharia Law with 'Holocaust' and Muslims with 'Jews' and realise how stupid your argument is.
    ROFL you must be joking/trolling? The holocaust was intended to exterminate all Jews and it certainly wasn't done by Jews, Sharia Law is something that Muslims choose to follow, Jews didn't choose to be gassed in the chambers. Get out of here.

I know, but it's still discriminatory in civil and family matters and thus any manifestation of Sharia should be banned.
    I do get where you're coming from now but still... A lot of the Muslims it affects in Britain actually want to be governed by sharia. What can be done about that?

ReputationRep:
    ROFL you must be joking/trolling? The holocaust was intended to exterminate all Jews and it certainly wasn't done by Jews, Sharia Law is something that Muslims choose to follow, Jews didn't choose to be gassed in the chambers. Get out of here.
    Haha true. My point was that just because something doesn't concern me directly doesn't mean I can't be against it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    To be honest, my comparison was just as stupid

ReputationRep:
    Well you cannot ban it just because you don't like it, it's really none of anybody's business and Muslims will live according to Sharia law whether it's banned or not, they don't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    I do get where you're coming from now but still... A lot of the Muslims it affects in Britain actually want to be governed by sharia. What can be done about that?
    Well what I'd say to that in one word is "tough". This is Britain, if Muslims wanted to also to be governed by Sharia's penal code here in which amputations and executions are carried out, should we say yes to that too?

ReputationRep:
    Haha true. My point was that just because someone doesn't concern me directly doesn't mean I can't be against it.
    Just because you are against something doesn't mean that it should be banned though. I am against smoking, teenage pregnancy and Islam, that doesn't mean I would support any of those being outlawed. We can't just ban people leading ****ty lives, it's their choice.

ReputationRep:
    Well what I'd say to that in one word is "tough". This is Britain, if Muslims wanted to also to be governed by Sharia's penal code here in which amputations and executions are carried out, should we say yes to that too?
    That is against British law. Nobody would say yes to that just like nobody says yes to Sharia courts either since it is not recognized. Do you really fail to understand that?

ReputationRep:
    Well you cannot ban it just because you don't like it,
    Well, actually you can. If a petition is put forward and agreed upon that it is unacceptable to take place in the UK then it will be banned.

it's really none of anybody's business and Muslims will live according to Sharia law whether it's banned or not, they don't care.
    It is our business because people are being discriminated against, this is a matter of law, not belief. People can believe what they want, including that Sharia should be implemented, but when those ideals become institutionalised and actually practised then they become everyone's business, for obvious reasons.

Well they will care and the point is that its influence will enormously decrease if banned. Saying "things are still done even if illegal" is not an argument in any sense of the word because that applies to all illegal things so by this line of logic nothing should be illegal!

ReputationRep:
    Just because you are against something doesn't mean that it should be banned though. I am against smoking, teenage pregnancy and Islam, that doesn't mean I would support any of those being outlawed. We can't just ban people leading ****ty lives, it's their choice.
    When did I say it should be banned just because I am personally against it? This is all just my opinion and I'm sure many other British people would be against Sharia courts as well (a lot of people don't even know they exist).

ReputationRep:
    That is against British law. Nobody would say yes to that just like nobody says yes to Sharia courts either since it is not recognized. Do you really fail to understand that?
    What are you not understanding here? The civil actions of Sharia law, some of which are also against British law happen in the UK too. Why do you think Theresa May has ordered an inquiry into Sharia Courts on the basis that they are discriminatory against women?

ReputationRep:
    Well, actually you can. If a petition is put forward and agreed upon that it is unacceptable to take place in the UK then it will be banned.
    Rofl you know exactly what I mean, no need to be pedantic.

It is our business because people are being discriminated against, this is a matter of law, not belief. People can believe what they want, including that Sharia should be implemented, but when those ideals become institutionalised and actually practised then they become everyone's business, for obvious reasons.
    Nobody is being discriminated against. British law protects people from being discriminated against so if someone feels that that is happening to them, they can go to the police. Those ideals have not become institutionalized, since Sharia isn't the law of the land in the UK. If my family and I implemented our own rules and laws doesn't mean that that it would suddenly become institionalized, it would have no legitimacy regardless of the fact that we followed it and if we did anything that was against British law we would be prosecuted.

Well they will care and the point is that its influence will enormously decrease if banned. Saying "things are still done even if illegal" is not an argument in any sense of the word because that applies to all illegal things so by this line of logic nothing should be illegal!
    It wouldn't decrease at all, it would just be done on the down low. Delusional brainwashed people are not going to stop doing what God is telling them just because you decide it's illegal. They have their own Sharia law so whether it's illegal in the 'real world' is of no concern to them because they don't live in the real world rofl you are so naive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyCherry)
    You do know that Sharia law is for Muslims ONLY, so why the hell would that concern you??!

Besides, a similar petition was signed 2 years ago and the government responded. So good luck with that! :rolleyes:

As this e-petition has received more than 10, 000 signatures, the relevant Government department have provided the following response sharia 'law' has no jurisdiction in England and Wales and the Government has no intention to change this position. :grin: :clap2::clap2::clap2::happy2::happy2:
    Sharia principles are the code of personal religious law governing the conduct of Muslims. They can extend into all aspects of people's lives, but provided an activity prescribed by Sharia principles does not contravene the law of England and Wales, there is nothing that prevents people living by Sharia principles.Britain has a proud tradition of religious tolerance, within the law. We expect individuals and groups to exercise their religious beliefs in a courteous and considerate manner and to respect the rights of others. Freedom of expression is the hallmark of a healthy society; however, mutual concern and respect for our fellow citizens is essential if we want our neighbourhoods to be places where everyone can play their part and feel that they belong.There are a number of Sharia councils in England and Wales which help Muslim communities resolve civil and family disputes, by making recommendations, which they hope the parties will abide by. They are not part of the court system in this country and have no means of enforcing their decisions. If any of the decisions or recommendations they make are contrary to national law (including the Equality Act 2010)then national law prevails. This is no different to any other council or tribunal - whether or not based on Sharia principles.There can never be reliance on the fact that an act that is permitted under Sharia principles is a justification for committing what is, under the law of this country, a criminal act or indeed a breach of civil law such as the Equality Act 2010. Muslim women, for example, can find legal recourse in the legislation that has already been enacted, for example forced marriage issues, regardless of what is stated within Sharia principles.This Government will challenge behaviours and views which run counter to our shared values. Promoting fairness in society is one of the Coalition Government's core commitments. This is everyone's responsibility; it is only together we are able to develop a stronger and more cohesive society.There can be no question of there being a parallel system of law in this country.
    /thread

ReputationRep:
    When did I say it should be banned just because I am personally against it? This is all just my opinion and I'm sure many other British people would be against Sharia courts as well (a lot of people don't even know they exist).
    Yes, British people are against Sharia courts, which is precisely the reason why it is not legally recognized. There isn't really a need for non-Muslims to know that they exist since they have no impact on anybody aside from those who LIKE to follow Sharia Law in their private lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drummerz)
    /thread
    As has been noted, this isn't factual. There is now a new government and Theresa May has ordered a probe into Sharia Courts because they are inherently discriminatory, especially towards women.

Given all the polemics going on lately regarding Islam, I am fairly certain that this will be an issue discussed in Parliament before long and eventually banned.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.