Need braces again will nhs help??? PLEASE GIVE ADVICE

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi really urgently need advice/help. I'm 17 turning 18 in a couple of months. Had braces for about 19/20 months when I was 13-15. When I got them off I was given a Hawley wire retainer for my top teeth but no retainer for my bottom teeth. Almost immediately they started to shift but the dentist wouldn't listen to my concerns and I left it thinking I'd be fine . It's been over 2 years I've had them off and my teeth are terrible , a year ago I went back and he said stop wearing your retainer although I continued to do so but now it no longer fits at all, I wore it everyday for about six months when I first got it and nightly up until now but my teeth have a really severe open bite and top two teeth are really potruding and bottom teeth are all messed up aswell. He also shaved one of my teeth that was drifting downwards and it is noticeably smaller than the symmetrical one on the other side. Talking about the tooth next to my top front teeth. I want to complain about this and I really need braces again will I manage to get them on the nhs again . I'm so upset and depressed about this, my orthodontist had retired now so should I speak to my regular dentist about this ?? I had a tongue thrust which my dentist knew about but he still didn't give me the right retainer. Please understand I'm not being dramatic in any way this is not for cosmetic reasons , I have a severe open bite about 5mm and teeth are really potruding. I feel so let down by my dentist, he's ruined my teeth and left me with half a tooth after the shaving so even if I get braces again that will be noticeable. It's ruined my self confidence and my life , is there any chance I will get referred again and if not could anyone recommend any private dentists on Birmingham that are good With braces. Thankyou so much for reading.
Katy4341
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey! I'm really sorry about your situation- sounds like it's effecting you a lot more than just cosmetically speaking
First steps I think are speaking to your current dentist as quick as you can. Being just 17 you're still eligible for ortho treatment on the NHS (but that will only be if you can get an app before you turn 18, I think). Some of my friends treatment ran until they were 19 and theirs was free.
In the meantime, do you have any evidence ie. photos of your 'old' and 'new' teeth. I think it would be good to show your dentist or the ortho the damage they have caused. If it sounds as bad as you described you may be eligible for some kind of compensatory treatment, though I am unsure as to how this works.

At the end of the day firstly you need to go and speak to someone as you're not a dentist yourself, then you can move forward with a plan you'll probably hear this all the time but your teeth might not be as noticeable as you think, it won't be what everyone concentrates on. Good luck all the same x
A.Roy2016
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi really urgently need advice/help. I'm 17 turning 18 in a couple of months. Had braces for about 19/20 months when I was 13-15. When I got them off I was given a Hawley wire retainer for my top teeth but no retainer for my bottom teeth. Almost immediately they started to shift but the dentist wouldn't listen to my concerns and I left it thinking I'd be fine . It's been over 2 years I've had them off and my teeth are terrible , a year ago I went back and he said stop wearing your retainer although I continued to do so but now it no longer fits at all, I wore it everyday for about six months when I first got it and nightly up until now but my teeth have a really severe open bite and top two teeth are really potruding and bottom teeth are all messed up aswell. He also shaved one of my teeth that was drifting downwards and it is noticeably smaller than the symmetrical one on the other side. Talking about the tooth next to my top front teeth. I want to complain about this and I really need braces again will I manage to get them on the nhs again . I'm so upset and depressed about this, my orthodontist had retired now so should I speak to my regular dentist about this ?? I had a tongue thrust which my dentist knew about but he still didn't give me the right retainer. Please understand I'm not being dramatic in any way this is not for cosmetic reasons , I have a severe open bite about 5mm and teeth are really potruding. I feel so let down by my dentist, he's ruined my teeth and left me with half a tooth after the shaving so even if I get braces again that will be noticeable. It's ruined my self confidence and my life , is there any chance I will get referred again and if not could anyone recommend any private dentists on Birmingham that are good With braces. Thankyou so much for reading.
Go to your dentist as soon as possible. As long as your dentist refers you to get braces before the age of 18, you will still get it free even if you actual treatment starts after age of 18
oliver.jcm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey man, I'm currently experiencing e.a very similar issue. I had braces on my top row of my teeth and once the braces were removed, my tongue thrust began to make my teeth move back to their original position. A few months into having my braces off I discovered mewing and orthotropics, hence beginning me to fix my oral posture. But yet, the damage was already inflicted by my tongue thrusting in the initial few months of having braces off. I'm just curious as to what came of your situation as I'm currently devastated about the position of my teeth and the fact that they are still slowly reverting back to their original shape. Hope you receive this message and get back to me, thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (35)
33.33%
No - I have already returned home (11)
10.48%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
21.9%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
6.67%
No - I live at home during term anyway (29)
27.62%

Watched Threads