Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to firm Exeter for sept 2016. Anybody else holding an offer or looking to start at Exeter for mathematics? Genuinely can't wait to start
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mythological)
    I've decided to firm Exeter for sept 2016. Anybody else holding an offer or looking to start at Exeter for mathematics? Genuinely can't wait to start
    I'll be doing Nat Sci but intend to do a lot of maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'll be doing Nat Sci but intend to do a lot of maths
    I Had a choice between Bristol and Exeter, both require AAB but Exeter just looks like an amazing place to live albeit maybe not as good as Bristol for mathematics. To be honest I would only pick Oxford or Cambridge over Exeter judging by the open days.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Had a choice between bristol and exeter, with the same grade requirements but the exeter just looks like an amazing place to live albeit maybe not as good as bristol for mathematics
    Have you been to either?

ReputationRep:
    What offer do you have?
    What maths modules are you taking for alevel?

ReputationRep:
    Exeter is up and coming and I recently heard good things about its Maths Department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayamiami)
    What offer do you have?
    What maths modules are you taking for alevel?
    I'm doing FP2 and FP3 this year along with S3 for further maths and I shall be doing C3, C4 and D1 for normal maths. I know I'll probably get A*A or AA for double maths, it's just my third subject, politics, which I'll probably get a B in.
    EDIT: Oh and I have an AAB offer you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Exeter is up and coming and I recently heard good things about its Maths Department.
    It's got more of an applied approach to mathematics and I'm more of a pure kinda guy and although they offered that at Bristol, I think I'd be happier at Exeter

ReputationRep:
    It's got more of an applied approach to mathematics and I'm more of a pure kinda guy and although they offered that at Bristol, I think I'd be happier at Exeter
    How do you know you are pure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    How do you know you are pure?
    I don't very much like applied modules

ReputationRep:
    I don't very much like applied modules
    have you seen pure maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    have you seen pure maths?
    Love it :P proving equations and finding why things work gives me a buzz

ReputationRep:
    Love it :P
    Not many people have seen pure maths before they go to University, so I will take your word for it.

All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Not many people have seen pure maths before they go to University, so I will take your word for it.

All the best!
    What do you think F(urther)p(ure)2/3 are? Applied modules Also did a bit of number theory on my own, actually wrote about it in my personal statement

What do you think F(urther)p(ure)2/3 are? Applied modules Also did a bit of number theory on my own, actually wrote about it in my personal statement
    They are 'method' modules

Pure maths is stuff like graph theory, combinatorics, (maybe differential geometry?), topology, group theory, number theory, knot theory, chaos theory...

Calculus, vectors and complex numbers are used all the time in Mathematical Physics

ReputationRep:
    What do you think Fp2 and Fp3 are? Applied modules
    ... more applied than pure.
    Their correct classification withing the grand scheme of Maths is "methods".
    Definitely not a shred of pure maths in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    ... more applied than pure.
    Their correct classification withing the grand scheme of Maths is "methods".
    Definitely not a shred of pure maths in them.
    shots fired *pew**pew*

ReputationRep:
    shots fired *pew**pew*
    I am going to wish well again, wherever you go, and maybe we will revisit this thread after you start University next year

all the best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.