GigglingSquid319
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm looking at universities to apply for 2017, and was wondering what the main differences between the two courses? I am quite interested in Cosmology and Astronomy but would that put me at particular advantages/disadvantages than just doing pure Physics?
qno2
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A physics degree will normally have little to no content on astronomy/astrophysics but a degree in physics and astronomy will have a significant portion of it in this side of physics. Neither is better than the other normally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unkempt_One
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends on the university, so look at the course structure on the university's website. More generally, a degree in 'Physics' will have no stipulations beyond taking compulsory modules, whereas a degree in 'Physics and Astronomy' will require you to take at least several modules in Astrophysics, and possibly choose Astrophysics topics in your projects.
CCC75
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The astronomy module. It's quite a distinct area of physics.
Terry Tibbs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At my university the Astronomy students just don't get to pick their option modules as they're forced to do the astronomy/cosmology ones. Also when they do labs they get to do experiments that are specific to Astronomy, where as the straight Physics students are given a random experiment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34%
No (493)
66%

Watched Threads