The Student Room Group

What is the difference between a Physics degree and Physics & Astronomy degree?

I'm looking at universities to apply for 2017, and was wondering what the main differences between the two courses? I am quite interested in Cosmology and Astronomy but would that put me at particular advantages/disadvantages than just doing pure Physics?
Reply 1
A physics degree will normally have little to no content on astronomy/astrophysics but a degree in physics and astronomy will have a significant portion of it in this side of physics. Neither is better than the other normally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on the university, so look at the course structure on the university's website. More generally, a degree in 'Physics' will have no stipulations beyond taking compulsory modules, whereas a degree in 'Physics and Astronomy' will require you to take at least several modules in Astrophysics, and possibly choose Astrophysics topics in your projects.
Reply 3
The astronomy module. It's quite a distinct area of physics.
At my university the Astronomy students just don't get to pick their option modules as they're forced to do the astronomy/cosmology ones. Also when they do labs they get to do experiments that are specific to Astronomy, where as the straight Physics students are given a random experiment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending