The Student Room Group

Bryony's Path to University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Oh, I see. Why did you do all of Maths in 1 year? I'm only going as far back as 2011 compared to 2008 as I won't have any time left over to do Madasmaths papers, which are more crucial for me than doing further back papers. I came across the Madasmaths website from a renowned Maths expert on this website. :shh:

I used solomon papers during my AS maths and they put me off completely as I found their content a bit alien. Madasmaths papers are more challenging and in chronological order of difficulty + within Edexcel syllabus = more resources. :heart:

A2 grades were BBC in maths, physics and history. Wbu?
I'm resitting Maths and Physics and hold offers from UCL/KCL(A*A*C=AAA average)

My past papers are showing potential just need to develop speed thats all. Wbu? How's everything going for you? :smile:

I was planning to do Further Maths and so did Maths in the first year however my grades didn't allow me to. I might have a look at the MadasMaths website. I got BBCC in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics (AS) and a D in Maths A2. Past papers are going well, averaging about 73 in M1, C1 and C2 (haven't tried the rest of the modules yet) in the correct time so I've got to work on the other papers and doing more mechanics as that is my weak point.
Reply 61
Sunday 28th February

Today I plan to do the following:

-Chemistry Redox Sheet (Important, due in tomorrow!)
-Chemistry Electrode Potentials Sheet
-M1 June 2005
-Physics notes on at least one topic from each module (Unit 2, 4, Applied, Turning Points)

I have no idea how long this will take me but if I have time left afterwards I will do:
-C2 January 2006
-Chemistry, condensing notes from unit 2 (chapter 1)

Hopefully this will keep me busy but if by some miracle I finish all of this there is always more I can do.

Bryony (:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 62
A Positive Day

Sunday 28th February

Today I feel as though I have had an incredibly productive day. I have completed the following:

-Chemistry Redox Sheet
-M1 June 2005 (71/75-slight improvement on last time)
-Physics notes on the following topics:

Rotational Dynamics [Applied Physics]

Radians [Unit 4]

Resolving a Vector on a slope [Unit 2]

Free-body Force Diagrams [Unit 2]

Principle of Millikan's Determination of Q [Turning Points]

Significance of Millikan's Result [Turning Points]

I didn't do the second Chemistry sheet as I realised that we are yet to cover it in class and so I don't want to do it wrong. I also made mini chocolate éclairs for Sunday lunch and helped with cooking it.

Bryony (:
Reply 63
Monday 29th February

Today is the day when I only have 2 lessons! Which means I three frees. I also have hockey after school so have an hour then. However I won't get any work done this evening as my Aunt is home on leave from Laos where she has been for about 9 months and so I want to spend some time with her.

What I plan to do today:

-Physics Notes (One from each module)
-C2 January 2006

This should probably take me a while but if I have time to spare I will do extra notes on Unit 2 Physics

Bryony (:
Reply 64
Tuesday 1st March

Okay so yesterday wasn't great; I barely got anything done which isn't good. So I'm going to carry my list over from yesterday (effectively giving myself an extra day to complete yesterday's list)

Bryony (:
Original post by BryonyG98
The grow your grades competition. This blog is to track my progress over the next few months in the hope of improving ny grades.

M1 really isnt that bad, i just had a bad day and my results suffered because of it unfortunately!

I could have taken AS further maths this year as i have learnt the majority of the content however it was decided by myself my parents and my school that it was in my best interests to only pursue Maths and aim for an A* as opposed to getting two Bs

Thank you!

What subjects are you studying? I presume you are either in year 12 or 13 as you are doing m1 and clearly you are studying maths :smile:

Bryony (:

good luck with this good to see its going well it gives me inspiration :smile:
and yeah im in year 12 doing maths further maths chemistry economics but failingggggggg mechanics :frown:doing m1 and m2
Reply 66
A Week Long Round Up

Sunday 6th March

Okay so as you may have noticed I have not been posting much this week. This is due to how hectic it has been and I just haven't had a chance to come online and update my blog of check TSR at all. So now I feel I owe you an update so I am going to write one for the week.

Monday- I did actually post on Monday but it was a busy day. It was the first day since July that my Aunt has been home. She is an English teacher in Laos and so I spent time with her. I also had indoor hockey in the evening which took out a lot of my time. However I did have some study periods on Monday and got some maths work done.

Tuesday- In the evening I had hockey training and this is the day when I only have 1 study period which kind of sucks. However I did get 2 Maths Papers done. C1 (96UMS) and M1 (64/75). These were both done under exam conditions so I was fairly happy with these results.

Wednesday- I went to Bristol University for the day to do a Chemistry Assessed Practical. It went fairly well although I got a yield of 140% because I didn't let my product dry enough which is kind of annoying. I then Lifeguarded in the evening and so didn't get home until late.

Thursday- This was my only free evening this week. I got a lot of Physics notes done today as a sort of catch up from the rest of the week. We finished the assessed practical today (written paper) and I have got to say I am not overly optimistic. I also did a C2 Paper today but I haven't had the result back yet.

Friday- I started an M1 paper but only did the first three questions. I did get full marks on these though. I am going to finish it on Tuesday as my teacher won't be in. The afternoon was filled with CCF Parade practice which I have to say was rather dull. I then had Guides in the evening. I also did some Chemistry Questions in my study period.

Saturday- Yesterday was the most hectic of all. Driving over 110 miles and playing both a hockey and a netball match at different ends of the county. I managed to pull my hamstring so the drive home was rather longer than expected. Saturday night is our "family time" and so we had a catch up from the week as it feels as though I have hardly seen them!

So now onto today. Again it is going to be rather busy as it is Mother's Day. I also have a fair amount of work to catch up on and I do my study planner for the next few weeks for the competition. I WILL post this evening stating what I have done today and hopefully a picture of my new Study Planner.

Bryony (:
Reply 67
Just a brief update to let people know what is going on. For the past 2 weeks I have been ill and so have been unable to update this blog. It is now the Easter Holidays and so I will be ramping up my revision. I will hope to update properly this evening with a full revision timetable etc.
Original post by BryonyG98
Just a brief update to let people know what is going on. For the past 2 weeks I have been ill and so have been unable to update this blog. It is now the Easter Holidays and so I will be ramping up my revision. I will hope to update properly this evening with a full revision timetable etc.

Oh no! Are you okay? It's okay that you haven't updated the blog. I hope you feel better soon! Good luck making the most of your Easter holiday! Mine doesn't start until next week but I wish it was sooner! :smile:
Reply 69
The Start of a New Me

Monday 21st March

So over the past two weeks, what with being ill and everything; my work ethic took a bit of a hit. However I have now got better and am willing to put in all the work required to make up for what I didn't do. It is now the Easter Holidays and having taken the weekend off with my friends, I am now ready to work. I have already made a revision timetable for the next few days. Each day I have many breaks but based on my timetable I will be doing about 7 hours a day which I feel is plenty given I aim to take one day off per week.

I aim to post every morning before 8:30 (when my revision day starts) and then after 8:30pm which is the latest I plan to work.

So the plan for today is that:

08:30-10:00 C3 Bronze 1
10:15-10:30 Mark Paper (Scored 65/75)
10:30-12:00 Chemistry Unit 2 June 13 (I changed this, as having started the paper I was struggling and so have instead done mind maps on The Boltzmann Distribution, Collision Theory and Halide Salts with c.H2SO4)
12:15-13:00 Exam Solutions S1 6-8 Notes
14:00-15:00 Unit 2: Moments in Levers, Couples, Centre of Mass
16:30-17:30 C2 Jan 06
17:30-17:45 Mark Paper
19:00-20:00 Unit 5: Significance of Young's double slit experiment

So far, I have done everything on my list for the correct unit. Over the total holiday I plan to do 120 hours revision. For me that is 10 hours per module (although I will probably alter this and spend more time on C3 and C4 and less on C1 and C2)

Bryony (:
Reply 70
Tuesday 22nd March

So yesterday I did everything other than the exam solutions notes which I think it pretty good. I also got double the physics notes done in the same time.

Today I have planned:

08:30-09:45 M1 June 06
09:45-10:00 Mark Paper
10:00-11:15 Chemistry Unit 4 June 11
16:15-16:30 Mark Paper
16:30-18:00 C4 Bronze 1
19:00-19:15 Mark Paper
19:15-20:15 Physics Unit 4: Derivation of formulae, Centripetal Force

The reason for the big gap in the middle of the day is because I am going into town with a friend (: If I get time I will also do the S1 notes I was meant to do yesterday.

Bryony (:
Reply 71
Monday 28th March

Clearly, updating every day just wasn't working. I have too much revision to do to even find the time to think about updating this. Instead I will just update when I can.

Last week wasn't amazing in terms of revision; it was filled with family catch ups and meeting up with friends. This leaves me with a ton of revision to do over the next few weeks.

Today, I have already done a C4 Bronze 1 Paper and got 72/75 which isn't bad for a first attempt. I have also made notes on Chem 5 Fuel Cells. This totalled 2.75 hours, which isn't bad for the morning. I have a load more planned for the afternoon but I will update you more on this later (or when I get a chance). As it is bank holiday Monday, my parents and I are heading out for dinner at a pub this evening so I my have to work a bit later than planned.

Bryony (:
Reply 72
The Pomodoro Technique

Monday 4th April

Over the past few days I have discovered the Pomodoro technique. Now if you don’t know what this is, I am going to give a very brief explanation. The idea is that you do 25 minutes of work (which is 1 pomodoro) and then take a 5-minute break. After 4 pomodoros you take a longer break (15-20 minutes). I have found that this method works well for me as I am able to work for significantly longer periods of time without losing focus. I personally use the app ClearFocus, it was free (on android) and allows me to set the time I want to work and the breaks I want. It also gives me statistics on how much work I have done each day.

I have decided that this will be a niche point in my revision. Well at least that is what my head of sixth form would call it. I plan to work for at least 10 pomodoros a day for the next week as I have a week left of Easter (I go back on the 12th of April). 10 pomodoros works out to be 5.5 hours including breaks which I feel is reasonable as if I feel up to it I can do more if I want. I think that my problem so far is that every time I try to start revision it looks too daunting and it is much easier to not do any; with this method I will gradually up the amount of work I do so that it becomes second nature.

When I return to school I have planned when the pomodoros will be done. When I first arrive at school I will do 1 pomodoro before everyone else arrives; as I will be driving in I can get there earlier. Each day I have 2 study periods (except a Thursday and Friday when I will do extra at the weekend or in the evening) in each of these I will do 2 pomodoros. I will then do 5 pomodoros at home each day or potentially in random points during the day.My next niche point will be on the 18th of April when I will increase the amount of pomodoros that I do per day. This is exactly 1 month before my first exam; C1, with C2 the following week. Fortunately, these are my only 2 exams before half term. Both of these have been going fairly well with my averaging 97UMS on mock exams and I have another test the week I get back.

My next post is going to be on positive habits which I will write when I get a chance!

Bryony (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending