Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cover letter help Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to write a cover letter and one of the points on the job spec is 'ability to maintain and build good professional relationships' - and I don't have a clue what example I could give on paper. Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    Have you had a job before? Have you had any jobs?! You don't have to address EVERY single point on the job spec in your letter (unless it specifies this). If you want any help/proof reading then happy to help if you want to PM me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EtherealNymph22)
    Have you had a job before? Have you had any jobs?! You don't have to address EVERY single point on the job spec in your letter (unless it specifies this). If you want any help/proof reading then happy to help if you want to PM me?
    Not much in the way of paid work, a fair amount of work experience/volunteering but I didn't have to write cover letters for any of them. I always thought if you didn't address a point on the job spec that was your application in the bin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Not much in the way of paid work, a fair amount of work experience/volunteering but I didn't have to write cover letters for any of them.
    Well that's good. If you PM me I can give you examples from cover letters where I've talked about relationship building. I have even used being a waitress for this purpose. You can then adapt and put in your relevant experiences of working with people to demonstrate this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EtherealNymph22)
    Well that's good. If you PM me I can give you examples from cover letters where I've talked about relationship building. I have even used being a waitress for this purpose. You can then adapt and put in your relevant experiences of working with people to demonstrate this.
    Thanks, will do
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Not much in the way of paid work, a fair amount of work experience/volunteering but I didn't have to write cover letters for any of them. I always thought if you didn't address a point on the job spec that was your application in the bin.
    You try and address every point in the CV. In the covering letter, you just highlight your three (ish) most relevant skills.

Maintaining and building good professional relationships could be while working in a team of very different ages and backgrounds (maybe retail type jobs) or working with people of different political/academic persuasions during a masters of PhD, so for example convening some academic group with someone of a very different academic persuasion, but making it work.

The other way to look at it is from the answer backwards. You know they want you to talk about effective, timely and sensitive communication, and viewing things from the other person's perspective - so when have you done that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You try and address every point in the CV. In the covering letter, you just highlight your three (ish) most relevant skills.

Maintaining and building good professional relationships could be while working in a team of very different ages and backgrounds (maybe retail type jobs) or working with people of different political/academic persuasions during a masters of PhD, so for example convening some academic group with someone of a very different academic persuasion, but making it work.

The other way to look at it is from the answer backwards. You know they want you to talk about effective, timely and sensitive communication, and viewing things from the other person's perspective - so when have you done that?
    Ah very helpful advice thank you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.