Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering because i'm studying a foundation year. What do i say to people when i'm in my second year of study next year.

Right now this is what i tell people: 'i'm a first year but i'm doing a foundation year'. I feel embarassed by even saying this but i will feel more embarassed when all my coursemates will be in 2nd year and i will do first year again

Also i know this will sound deluded but do you think i should challenge my Leader of the department to accelerate my course and possibly finish maybe in 2 years or it could be 3? I just do not get along with my foundation year group and next year i will be with them. I hear Nottingham Trent University, BCU can make foundation year skip to second year but i don't know about my university

or i could just drop out tbh and do a 2 year degree lol.

ReputationRep:
    You are probably thinking of a foundation degree. Not the same thing. Ask the uni but I doubt they'll let you skip the whole of year 1 out, for started you'll be short 120 credits at level 4.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You're probably best off saying 'I'm a first year ... but I did a foundation year'. I think most people would assume that second years are in their second year of an undergraduate degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    You are probably thinking of a foundation degree. Not the same thing. Ask the uni but I doubt they'll let you skip the whole of year 1 out, for started you'll be short 120 credits at level 4.
    Right now i do two modules of first year and two modules of foundation. I want to ask my leader to keep the first year modules i do and then next year complete the following four first year modules and add 2 year modules, because next year i would do a second year foundation module which i don't want to do.

It sounds complicated i know but if it means no then i may leave and just do a 2 year fast track degree elsewhere

ReputationRep:
    Or should i say something like 'i'm a second year but i'm doing first year'

Pisses me of that me, a 21 year old got tricked to do a foundation year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uyi 95)
    Or should i say something like 'i'm a second year but i'm doing first year'

Pisses me of that me, a 21 year old got tricked to do a foundation year
    Why you didn't go straight into the degree? Generally, there will be a good reason why someone is doing a Foundation year. Not sure how anyone could be "tricked" into it.

And don't get tangled up with other people's perceptions of you as a Foundation/first year/second year/third year. There's really no status implied by any of those. Nobody cares whether you're one thing or another. The only difference between a Foundation and final year student, is the haggard look that third years develop in the weeks running up to the dissertation hand-in deadline!

Accelerating a set three year degree course is rarely possible, as one year will build on knowledge gained during the preceding year. Plus a syllabus can change from year to year as lecturers leave or take sabbaticals,

Also, don't get too invested in the idea of accelerating your course or transferring to another, until you find out whether it's feasible. Uni credits aren't automatically transferrable and if you want to go to a different uni you may find that you have to start the application process all over again. You'd be better advised at the moment, to throw your energies into getting the best possible mark in your current course, to support whatever you decide to do next. You're past the UCAS deadline for next September anyway, so you automatically have limited options.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.