Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i've asked my friends and most said just write what the colleges want; eg joining clubs, participating in outside of school activities etc. However one of them said that i jave to be honest since if i lie, the teachers would 'bait me out'. So i made a draft and when i gave it to the teacher she said it's too negative and that there's no way they would accept me if i gave them that. And they basically said i should just use lies. Now im really confsed; since if i lie too much they would clock because of my bad-ish ((mostly Bs and Cs and one A)) grades. What would you guys recommend?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animeamanda1412)
    i've asked my friends and most said just write what the colleges want; eg joining clubs, participating in outside of school activities etc. However one of them said that i jave to be honest since if i lie, the teachers would 'bait me out'. So i made a draft and when i gave it to the teacher she said it's too negative and that there's no way they would accept me if i gave them that. And they basically said i should just use lies. Now im really confsed; since if i lie too much they would clock because of my bad-ish ((mostly Bs and Cs and one A)) grades. What would you guys recommend?
    Never lie. It will only do bad things. What I did for my UCAS application was dedicate it to showing my passion. If they see that you are an enthusiastic, wondering mind then that will help you get in. You need to stand out and show your excitement because most people will just write about what they do for extra-curricula activities and how this shows their compitancies. That doesn't mean you should neglect any extra stuff you do do which would show how well rounded you are.

ReputationRep:
    so i have to be honest but at the same time not lie? Ok i'll try that. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming this if for an FE college? If so, I had to make mine the other day. What I included is why I want to do the course and why I am passionate about it, then what makes you an edge of other people for it so things like work experience and stuff and then what you plan to with the qualifications you gain from the course. Throughout amplify your enthusiasm for the course. I wouldn't lie in the statement but it would be okay to exaggerate slightly, good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bslevin)
    I'm assuming this if for an FE college? If so, I had to make mine the other day. What I included is why I want to do the course and why I am passionate about it, then what makes you an edge of other people for it so things like work experience and stuff and then what you plan to with the qualifications you gain from the course. Throughout amplify your enthusiasm for the course. I wouldn't lie in the statement but it would be okay to exaggerate slightly, good luck anyway
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    so i have to be honest but at the same time not lie? Ok i'll try that. Thanks!
    That's the same thing.

It's really not that difficult. You need to talk mostly about why you are applying for that particular subject. That's what ought to be taking up most of your statement. Extra currics such as school sports clubs etc needn't be more than a couple of sentences and if you're not involved in any school clubs you can include things that you don't even do at school such as reading/playing an instrument/sports or exercise/cooking etc. There is no need to lie at all - you have to emphasize what you have and be positive and most of all, show an interest in whatever course you're applying for.

ReputationRep:
    it was supposed to be be honest but at the same time not negative. and thanks! That really got me ideas everyone thankyou!!

ReputationRep:
    it was supposed to be be honest but at the same time not negative. and thanks! That really got me ideas everyone thankyou!!
    Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.