Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Art and Design National 5 Watch

Announcements

I was wondering if anyone can provide a sample answer for analysing the products, paintings or compositions in Art and Design. Use any past paper question - I just want an example so I know how to word my answers since my prelims are coming up. I am currently doing 4 highers and 1 national 5 and I am rubbish at analysing. In national 5 English, I got a B and I have no idea how I got it since me (and my teacher) thought I was going to get a D. I looked at the past paper questions, and they all ask to analysis a picture. The only way I can think of to revise for my Art and Design is from a sample answer but I cannot find any national 5 Art and Design sample answers online - maybe it is my rubbish research skills.It is usually 10 marks - if anyone can provide just 1 sample answer I would really appreciate it.Also if anyone has some tips on how I could revise for Art and Design then please tell me. The sample answer is the only thing I can think of at the moment - I have the introduction sample answer from my teacher but I would like others that I could compare along with my own sample answer.

If you cannot provide a sample answer - that's okay. Just some tips on how I could revise would do. Sample answers was the only thing I could think off to revise for my Art and Design prelim but if you have any other suggestions, I would like to hear them...

*Sobs* :bawling: Why is it when I need help nobody replies... The only person that does reply is me. Why? WhY? WWWWHHHHYYYYY?
    Maybe I write it in such a way that people are like 'STAY AWAY FROM THAT PERSON!' I have gotten 69 views and not a single one has replied.

This is what you do when you are bored and nobody replies. You write to yourself and pretend they are not you...
    There's an idea!

Hello, my name is Sam.
    I am rubbish at analysing as well! I got a C in Art and Design National 5 and a D in English, so I cannot really help you with a sample answer and I could actually use some tips myself. Sorry I wasn't able to help but I have an idea too!
    Let's be rubbish together!!!!!
    Best Regards,
    Sam

Please... just someone reply. I. AM. DESPERATE. I thought I was going to fail my prelim today until I was told that it had been rescheduled because some people didn't feel prepared.
    The prelim is what determines if I am able to sit the course or even pass my exam.
    Comeon, there must be someone who has done art and design and can give me some tips or even a sample answer. :console:

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your teacher if you're this stuck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How to analyse Art and Design in 3 three easy steps for National 5:
    1. Look at piece of art
    2. Think about the piece of art
    3. Write about what you think about the art - TOP TIP: Include some fancy words, maybe some vocabulary your teacher has used in class to describe works of art.

Sorry I couldn't resist - If you couldn't tell I never took art.

Seriously though, alana is right you should by now have gone and spoken to your teacher about this, although admittedly if your prelim was meant to be today its probably a bit late.

Thank you so much - alana_p and PTS_99
    I am not that great with talking to teachers - I might go to talk to them but then end up walking away. It's easier asking on threads - nobody really knows you.
    The prelim has been rescheduled - which is actually a relief.I looked at the art picture but I don't really have an opinion of any example of art.If I like it, I just like it - if I don't, I just don't. That's basically it. I mean one of the past papers had a painting by Henri Matisse with goldfishes. I didn't even know they were supposed to be goldfishes. They are just some orange oval shaped things:
    Name:  19-_goldfish-and-palette_henri-matisse-ri.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  498.2 KB

I don't know whether that image is too small for you to see the details but search Henri Matisse, goldfish and palette.
    And the marking scheme said that the thing next to the bowl of goldfish is supposed to be a lemon. I thought it was an orange. How am I supposed to get marks if I cannot properly identify the objects in the painting.
    I am not that great at fancy vocabulary either.
    I know you were being sarcastic PTS_99 but thanks all the same. And thanks Alana - just for replying. :cute:

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, I'm always glad to spread sarcasm around in a world that's already full of it.

*That was not sarcasm*

ReputationRep:
    It can be really daunting talking to teachers, but would you rather fail? You do really need to tell your teacher youre struggling, they get paid to help you so just ask them. And as soon as you tell them you're struggling, that's it over and they can help you. I haven't done n5 art, so can't help you, but let's be honest this thread is going nowhere. Unless you want to fail, I suggest you talk to your teachers and get over the hurdle of your anxiety of talking to them unless there's gonna be a lot of issues in other subjects too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

PTS_99 - Okay...
    Well... I was actually hoping for someone to give me a structure of how to write for art and design ...like the introduction, what to put in the conclusion, when stating what is in the painting how to write it in such a way that is bound to get you the marks required- stuff like that.
    Maybe I didn't make that clear.
    But seriously - I do mean thank you for replying - not many people reply to my questions or threads on other sites. :cute:
    alana_p - ... It's not as simple as that but I will try and talk to the teacher - though it is highly unlikely. I will just try my best at the prelim - that was what I heard some of my classmates say - they are just going to write what is in the picture and hope for the best.
    'let's be honest this thread is going nowhere' - yeh, but I don't think you can delete threads so... :indiff::sigh::ta:

ReputationRep:
    hey :0 i'm sure you've had your prelim by now and maybe you've already talked to your teachers and consolidated your knowledge or w/e, but here's what i do anyway
    the critical questions confused me a lot at the start of the year? but really all you need to write is absolute bull. as long as you can validate your point there's no way you can go wrong.
    first of all, take some time at the beginning of the question to actually study the artwork, taking note of the headings you'll need to refer to. in our school, we're taught to try and make three points for each heading. once you're ready, just take down the headings and write your answers in bulletpointed statements- you won't lose marks and it's much easier for the markers to read, as well as being faster to write. loads of people who take art in my school complained about the length of the exam being really short, so time-saving is a must.
    for your conclusion, make sure you don't repeat what you've said beforehand as these marks won't count. consider this as an opportunity to refer to different 'buzzwords'; i.e if the question asked you about composition, colour and tone, you could instead mention pattern and technique in your conclusion.
    to make a point, don't simply state without validating. always say why the artist has used a specific set of colours, or techniques, etc.
    hope this helped! if it didn't then i apologise. has your school given you a list of vocabulary to use while answering these questions? if they haven't i'll be happy to share mine, but if you don't need it that's fine too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.