Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if everyone else on this site was disgusted with fast food giants like Burger King and McDonalds.

It seems that the government wants to reduce obesity and health problems in children, yet lets these companies put advertising on television that directly appeals to them.

The companies also treat their workers badly, leave the non-biodegradable litter that is piled high on our streets and I don't really want to know what's in the food.

Who actually eats this junk and supports these evil corporation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ovalorbit)
    I was just wondering if everyone else on this site was disgusted with fast food giants like Burger King and McDonalds.

It seems that the government wants to reduce obesity and health problems in children, yet lets these companies put advertising on television that directly appeals to them.

The companies also treat their workers badly, leave the non-biodegradable litter that is piled high on our streets and I don't really want to know what's in the food.

The aim of the corportations is to survive and if possible thrive. Its not their fault if parents are too stupid to provide their children with a healthy diet.

ReputationRep:
    i for one oppose from buying their products, omg their salds like 5g of fat its scary.
    However i only liek the fact they annoy eastern muslims,
    There food is ok however, but its not what the pictures show on the menu

ReputationRep:
    I don't eat there and I think their ads are one tv way too much. Their veggies alternatives are nasty aswell.

ReputationRep:
    But i don't understand how the government can let them get away with it when they are saying they are focussed on the nations worrying health. Can't they be force to reduce all the fat, salt and sugar. Surely it would reduce the NHS bill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    The aim of the corportations is to survive and if possible thrive. Its not their fault if parents are too stupid to provide their children with a healthy diet.
    i completely agree. there are so many parents out there who feel 'sorry' for their children and feed them junk.
    on saying that, however, there are many children who eat because of stress, bordem, unhappiness behind their parent's back. I think some advertisements can be very mis-leading for these people. as the junk food dominates the organic food by far, i think the public need to be made mre aware of the healthier options.

ReputationRep:
    Can't they be force to reduce all the fat, salt and sugar. Surely it would reduce the NHS bill?
    No they cannot. People know that the food is unhealthy the responsibility for its ill effects are their own alone. The only thing the government could possibly do is prevent the companies advertising at certain times or at all as they do with cigarettes.

ReputationRep:
    No they cannot. People know that the food is unhealthy the responsibility for its ill effects are their own alone. The only thing the government could possibly do is prevent the companies advertising at certain times or at all as they do with cigarettes.
    but despite having advertised the effects of cigarettes, the number of people smoking hasnt shwon to drop. salt is a major sause for high blood pressure etc, but as well as advertising it, the NHS has to make sure that each product filling the shelves hasnt got the quadrupal amount of daily saly intake.
    surely putting less salt in the foods is healthier for us and cheaper for them??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    but despite having advertised the effects of cigarettes, the number of people smoking hasnt shwon to drop. salt is a major sause for high blood pressure etc, but as well as advertising it, the NHS has to make sure that each product filling the shelves hasnt got the quadrupal amount of daily saly intake.
    surely putting less salt in the foods is healthier for us and cheaper for them??
    It would undeniably be healthier for us, if it were cheaper for them they would do it. I suspect the high level of salt is to ensure people buy drinks as well. But still the government have no right to tell the company to put X amount of salt in its food - people know its unhealthy and its not the responsibility of mcdonalds to ensure people eat what they should.

In referrence to the stats for cigarette users i think any illness which people gain as a result of smoking should not be the responsibility of the taxpayer, if people choose to destroy their own bodies knowingly they should pay for its treatment themselves.

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with eating McDonalds once in a while, but plenty wrong if its ate on a regular basis. So the blame should be pointed away from the fast food giants.

ReputationRep:
    but despite having advertised the effects of cigarettes, the number of people smoking hasnt shwon to drop.
    Where did you get that from? The warnings printed on cigarette packets have shown to reduce the number of smokers, that's why they're considering putting the graphic pictures on as well. It has also been quite successful in other countries.

ReputationRep:
    In referrence to the stats for cigarette users i think any illness which people gain as a result of smoking should not be the responsibility of the taxpayer, if people choose to destroy their own bodies knowingly they should pay for its treatment themselves.
    Bit of a shady area considering the tax generated from smokers pays for their treatment several times over. The government could always tax something else but then non-smokers would also fit the bill even if treatment of lung cancer etc. decreases considerably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    There is nothing wrong with eating McDonalds once in a while, but plenty wrong if its ate on a regular basis. So the blame should be pointed away from the fast food giants.
    that's a good point.a lot of people complain that the foods sold in burger king etc are unhealthy, but the public must be aware of this before being able to say it, and yet they still feed on it. i think it has all got to do with 'taste' and the 'yummy' foods which 'i will enjoy eating'. combined with the lack of exercise, the result would be fat brits!

ReputationRep:

Why do fast food companies have to suffer because people can not control their weight? What is this logic? If you have a tendency towards yoyoing in weight or just piling it on, then move away from the burger. If you like it and can't then move your arse and do some excersise.

It's bordering on ridiculous as now people can even sue fast food giants if they become obese. In the US this is happening. YOU and YOU alone are responsible for your body. You think its a temple? Cool go organic and munch on the odd burger now and then. Don't make it a habit. Personally I don't like fast food as such. It's filled with perservatives and its not really a proper burger. It's not called junk food for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    It's up to the individuals what they eat. Adequate education is provided through secondary school about healthy options of foods, and various other things. If people still wish to eat unhealthy products it's their own fault if they get obeise.
    I personally have a mcdonalds or burger king about twice a month, just as a treat lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Outrageous)
    Why do fast food companies have to suffer because people can not control their weight? What is this logic? If you have a tendency towards yoyoing in weight or just piling it on, then move away from the burger. If you like it and can't then move your arse and do some excersise.

It's bordering on ridiculous as now people can even sue fast food giants if they become obese. In the US this is happening. YOU and YOU alone are responsible for your body. You think its a temple? Cool go organic and munch on the odd burger now and then. Don't make it a habit. Personally I don't like fast food as such. It's filled with perservatives and its not really a proper burger. It's not called junk food for no reason.

wow...didnt no obese people sue the fast food giants!! it really annoys me when all people can do is blame without even considering their own actions

ReputationRep:
    wow...didnt no obese people sue the fast food giants!! it really annoys me when all people can do is blame without even considering their own actions
    Yes, it's disgusting that people can sue McDonalds etc. Thankfully it doesn't happen very often as it's frequently difficult for them to shift their fat asses anywhere near a court-room.

Referring to fast food giants, I think they do need to be controlled by a certain extent by the government. Advertising is a very powerful tool especially where children are concerned, and the numerous "I'm Lovin' It!" adverts do no good whatsoever in helping children understand future implications on their health.

I'm all for a fat-tax on junk food, that certainly be pro-active in improving the obesity problem, if only slightly.

ReputationRep:
    You say education is provided but its really not! Yes I have been taught what is healthy and not but has anyone bothered to teach me how to make easy, nutritous meals properly? No! It's because of my own research, work and learning from my parents that I know how to cook. Now more and more people are living off fast food, ready mades and general rubbish. These fast food companies are now protraying thier food as healthy so what is the average person who hasn't had a proper food education meant to think?

ReputationRep:
    I know. It's like TAKE responsibility for your own actions. But it's always eaier to blame the others. Pfft.

ReputationRep:
    There is a valid reason why society doesn't work well if allowing individuals to "take responsibility for their own actions" and use their common sense. People are thick.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.