Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    It's all very well saying that, but how will that help us in the short term? At least stopping kids fast food advertising and 'fat taxes' are pro-active measures.
    To re-educate masses of ignorant adults on healthy eating is not going to be very effective without any deterrents. Many things stem down to parental control, but the solution doesn't seem to spring out any easier. The state has to intervene at some level before healthcare costs for obesity stem beyond all control.
    Do you think it is the State's role to tell people what, how, and when to eat? I don't.

Why not create some family food councillor positions? Each family could receive periodic visits from a councillor to ensure that the family meal is both nutricious and delicious, cut up our food into bitesizes and make sure we eat all our greens.

The State does not have to intervene. Re-educate? Surely only the seriously mentally disturbed do not know that;

McDonalds + Zero exercise = Fat *******

If the State want's to intervene then it should start by prosecuting abusive parents who feed their kids as though fattenning a goose for pate fois gras.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Do you think it is the State's role to tell people what, how, and when to eat? I don't.
    No, but it's the state's role to intervene when there is a national crisis. It can no longer be a case of leaving people to it, all predictions point towards an economic and health meltdown as more are more money will be poured into treating obese people and their related disorders.

Why not create some family food councillor positions? Each family could receive periodic visits from a councillor to ensure that the family meal is both nutricious and delicious, cut up our food into bitesizes and make sure we eat all our greens.
    Or a mass cull on people who choose to roll around in their own fat would be more appropriate. The points the last poster made about the fat tax were valid enough , but I dare say it would still send out a message to society that this situation is spiralling out of control.

The State does not have to intervene. Re-educate? Surely only the seriously mentally disturbed do not know that;

McDonalds + Zero exercise = Fat *******
    Yes, but everyone but the 'mentally disturbed' also know that smoking = lung cancer - didn't stop everyone smoking though did it? When it comes to people's will power and controlling a population of obese people, there are few solutions which would exist without the 'nanny state' interfering.

If the State want's to intervene then it should start by prosecuting abusive parents who feed their kids as though fattenning a goose for pate fois gras.
    Yes, but what are practical methods the state has at its disposal?

ReputationRep:
    It's all very well saying that, but how will that help us in the short term? At least stopping kids fast food advertising and 'fat taxes' are pro-active measures.
    To re-educate masses of ignorant adults on healthy eating is not going to be very effective without any deterrents. Many things stem down to parental control, but the solution doesn't seem to spring out any easier. The state has to intervene at some level before healthcare costs for obesity stem beyond all control.

i dont think that stopping adverts would mean anything at this point. this country has got to such a stage with fast foods, that stopping adverts wont make any short term difference.
    Yes, many things do stem down to parental control, so isn't it them we should be targetting at? wouldnt changing them primarily resuly in 'changed' children?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    i dont think that stopping adverts would mean anything at this point. this country has got to such a stage with fast foods, that stopping adverts wont make any short term difference.
    Yes, many things do stem down to parental control, so isn't it them we should be targetting at? wouldnt changing them primarily resuly in 'changed' children?
    Maybe not knowing about McDonalds latest toy or that power-rangers regularly eat at Burger king would make kids less enthused about going to stuff their faces with fatty pretend 'burgers', who knows?
    The question I asked was how would you change parental control without being seen as a super nanny state? We haven't got that much time to be devoting decades in solving the problem - just look at America, but can our NHS cope with such pressures?

I can't stand food from Mcdonalds or Burger King,It's disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe not knowing about McDonalds latest toy or that power-rangers regularly eat at Burger king would make kids less enthused about going to stuff their faces with fatty pretend 'burgers', who knows?
    The question I asked was how would you change parental control without being seen as a super nanny state? We haven't got that much time to be devoting decades in solving the problem - just look at America, but can our NHS cope with such pressures?
    true, the lack of freebie toys might reduce the number of children, but adult education into this matter needs to be regarded. America is completely out of control, but the UK is no way as big as America, and to the best of my knowledge there hasnt even been a television programme on the worrying issues of the growing obeisity population in Britain. Surely this is the best place to start?

ReputationRep:
    true, the lack of freebie toys might reduce the number of children, but adult education into this matter needs to be regarded. America is completely out of control, but the UK is no way as big as America, and to the best of my knowledge there hasnt even been a television programme on the worrying issues of the growing obeisity population in Britain, or the health dangers of eating too much fast food. Surely this is the best place to start?

ReputationRep:
    true, the lack of freebie toys might reduce the number of children, but adult education into this matter needs to be regarded. America is completely out of control, but the UK is no way as big as America, and to the best of my knowledge there hasnt even been a television programme on the worrying issues of the growing obeisity population in Britain, or the health dangers of eating too much fast food. Surely this is the best place to start?
    The "If" programme on BBC2 summed up what would happen if things were left as they are quite accurately IMHO.
    We have quite a few programmes on the issue, but it's getting people to take notice that's the problem. But the power of the media should never be underestimated - the only thing which really needs considerable change is attitudes.

ReputationRep:
    The "If" programme on BBC2 summed up what would happen if things were left as they are quite accurately IMHO.
    We have quite a few programmes on the issue, but it's getting people to take notice that's the problem. But the power of the media should never be underestimated - the only thing which really needs considerable change is attitudes.
    i totally agree, the attitudes of some people really shock me. it seems as if they are going out of their way to become dangerously ill,shoving aside any given adivce. then they will try and put the blame on the government. those types of people can really wind me up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ovalorbit)
    I was just wondering if everyone else on this site was disgusted with fast food giants like Burger King and McDonalds.

It seems that the government wants to reduce obesity and health problems in children, yet lets these companies put advertising on television that directly appeals to them.

The companies also treat their workers badly, leave the non-biodegradable litter that is piled high on our streets and I don't really want to know what's in the food.

Who actually eats this junk and supports these evil corporation?
    First of all it is your own fault if you dont get that eating hamburgers 5 days a week is going to make you obese. It doesnt matter if you eat Hamburgers, Salmons or the so miraculously descriobed olive oil; If you eat a lot of fat without burning callories you will increase your waistline. During the years McDonalds has been sued for having to hot coffe, to tasty hamburgers, to much sugar in their soda and I dont know what else. Please give them a break. I typically eat at Burger King rather than McDonalds because the food there actually taste like food (This is the case in Norway, dont know about britain) however it doesnt mean I judge everyone who would happen to like McCardboard. When it comes to how these companies treat their workers they are hardly the worst employers out there and they do follow governmental regulations much better than many small companies with nothing to lose do. As for the litter in the street, you cant really blaim McDonalds. That would be like blaiming Volvo when I go speeding.

ReputationRep:
    i totally agree, the attitudes of some people really shock me. it seems as if they are going out of their way to become dangerously ill,shoving aside any given adivce. then they will try and put the blame on the government. those types of people can really wind me up!
    The people who really get on my nerves are those who try and sue companies like McDonalds for "causing" their obesity. If I had my way they'd be dangling head first off the big "M" sign on the motorway left there to sweat their excess weight off,

ReputationRep:
    The people who really get on my nerves are those who try and sue companies like McDonalds for "causing" their obesity. If I had my way they'd be dangling head first off the big "M" sign on the motorway left there to sweat their excess weight off,

now thats funny!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone keeps saying thats its the persons own fault that they are obese so it is thier problem but what happens in 20 years time when obese people are filling up NHS beds and using all its facilities. The problem is on the verge of exploding but with all these fast food companies constantly pressing unhealthy, fatty foods who stands a chance of preventing it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    no. since 2000 their efforts in waste management and recycling have won awards.

Among 10 Highest Ranked Companies for Governance Practices, Corporate Behavior, and Social Responsibility (2004)—GovernanceMetrics International
    Most Respected Company in Food Service Sector (2003)—Business World (India)
    Among "Most Respected Companies" for Social Responsibility (2000, 2003)—Financial Times of London
    Among "Most Admired Companies" for Social Responsibility (2000 – 2002, 2004) (Top Ranked in Industry in 2004)—Fortune
    Among the Top 100 Corporate Citizens (2001 - 2002)—Business Ethics
    Number 5 in Reputation for Corporate Social Responsibility (2001)—Wall Street Journal
    Among Top 10 Companies in Corporate Social Responsibility (2000 - 2002)—Exame (Brazil)

Environmental Leadership Award (2001)—Audubon Society
    Recycling Works Recognition Award (2001)—National Recycling Coalition
    WasteWise Partner of the Year (2000)—U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
    Vision For America Award (1999)—Keep America Beautiful
    Green Lights Retail Partner of the Year (1998)—U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
    Queen Mother's Award for Environmental Improvement (1997)
    Corporate Conservation Leadership Award (1995)—Conservation International

Human Resources Initiative of the Year (2004)—Initiative magazine (New Zealand)
    Best Company to Work For (2003) (also ranked among best, 1996–2002)—Exame (Brazil)
    Among Best Employers to Work For (2003)—Hewitt Associates (Australia)
    Among the 20 Best Places to Work (2003)—Great Place To Work Institute (France)
    Best Practices in Human Resource Management (2003)—Thailand Productivity Institute
    Among the Top 10 Best Places to Work (2002)—Oxford Group (Denmark)
    Among the 20 Best Places to Work (2002)—Great Place To Work Institute (Mexico)
    Investor in Human Capital (2002)—Institute of Management & Institute of Labor and Social Affairs (Poland)
    Among the Top 10 Companies to Work For (2001)—Globe and Mail (Canada)
    Best Developer of People (1999)—PM kompetens (Sweden)
    Employer of the Year (1997-1999)—Australia National Training Association
    Argh they must have bought all those awards from the awarding bodies. They're all corrupted. McDonald's is corrupted, politicians are corrupted, there are aliens everywhere and they even kidnapped my cat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ovalorbit)
    Everyone keeps saying thats its the persons own fault that they are obese so it is thier problem but what happens in 20 years time when obese people are filling up NHS beds and using all its facilities. The problem is on the verge of exploding but with all these fast food companies constantly pressing unhealthy, fatty foods who stands a chance of preventing it?
    Yeah, that's why I think the state have no option but to intervene.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    McDonald's is corrupted, politicians are corrupted, there are aliens everywhere and they even kidnapped my cat.
    I probably ended up in a burger!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's why I think the state have no option but to intervene.
    Why not spend more money in the NHS now, instead of on *****y common-sense advertising which boils down to "EATING FATTY FOODS MAKES YOU FAT". It doesn't work.

How on earth can the state intervene on our eating habits? Re-introduce rationing? Oh, you want a BigMac, that'll be 3 stamps please.

If somebody wants a burger they're going to eat it whether or not you tell them it's bad for them. Look at smoking - the warnings are plastered all over cigarette packets yet millions still do it and thousands die from it. There's nothing the state can do, and I for one don't see the point in wasting billions trying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Why not spend more money in the NHS now, instead of on *****y common-sense advertising which boils down to "EATING FATTY FOODS MAKES YOU FAT". It doesn't work.

How on earth can the state intervene on our eating habits? Re-introduce rationing? Oh, you want a BigMac, that'll be 3 stamps please.

If somebody wants a burger they're going to eat it whether or not you tell them it's bad for them. Look at smoking - the warnings are plastered all over cigarette packets yet millions still do it and thousands die from it. There's nothing the state can do, and I for one don't see the point in wasting billions trying.
    I just love that extensive report that concluded: "fatty foods may be addictive"...wow what a revelation!

ReputationRep:
    Why not spend more money in the NHS now,
    If things continue as they are, the NHS will grind to a stand-still. What do you want to spend the extra money on?

instead of on *****y common-sense advertising which boils down to "EATING FATTY FOODS MAKES YOU FAT". It doesn't work.
    Really? Maybe with fatty food but 'common sense advertising' has made quite a considerable impact on smokers. The figures dropped sufficiently enough to introduce pictures of diseased organs on packets (mirroring the success of other countries which tried this technique)

Fat tax? Introducing more compulsory P.E. in schools? Healthy eating instilled as part of the curriculum at an early age in schools? Compulsory health check ups at regular intervals throughout school? Parents forced to attend education classes if kids show continued signs of obesity? Banning kids fast food adverts? Lowering prices of basic healthy foods to meet EU standards?

There's nothing the state can do, and I for one don't see the point in wasting billions trying.
    Because if we don't, health care will have to become privatised as the NHS will not beable to afford the spiralling costs of managing obesity and we'll have a nation of unfit, fat, unhealthy, lazy *******s.
    It's not a case of leaving it down to individual choice anymore, it's too late for that.

ReputationRep:
    Fat tax? Introducing more compulsory P.E. in schools? Healthy eating instilled as part of the curriculum at an early age in schools? Compulsory health check ups at regular intervals throughout school? Parents forced to attend education classes if kids show continued signs of obesity? Banning kids fast food adverts? Lowering prices of basic healthy foods to meet EU standards?
    Ok, but it must not go to far. You should not impose indirect taxes greater than those necessary to compensate for negative externalities.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.