Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been in Uk for about 3 years. I started my year 10 ( first year of GCSEs ) in Uk, I went to an international private school where I was doing my GCSEs but they told me that I can't do the English language and literature for my GCSEs because at that time my English wants really good. a year later I moved to another city and I went to some normal state school, they said my English is good enough to start doing English language and literature for my GCSEs. ( that was since my year 11 ) I finished my GCSEs and, unfortunately, my grades were not very good.
    I got an A* for Persian, B for maths ( OCR ), B for RE, C for Art, C for chemistry ( I did triple science and I got A, B, C and a D for 4 exams that I did for it ). for my biology and other subjects I got Ds. I didn't fail in any subject, as they say, D is a pass but it was so hard for me to apply for levels as I wanted to do sciences and maths. I found a good sixth form school were they told me that my grades are just because of my English and they said I can start doing levels. at the moment, I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Persian and EPQ for my AS levels. I am retaking English language and I got B.I want to do Medicine in University ( or Dentistry ). I'm trying to add some work experience and as I said I'm doing Persian and EPQ as well just to make my application strongermy question is if I got 4 As in my exams for AS, when I go to apply for university do they apply me? is there anything else I should add t my courses or application? if I did very well in AS and in my personal statement I explained to reason I did badly in GCSEs. would they not ask for GCSEs when they see I've got 3 to 4 As in AS which is harder than GCSEs??

ReputationRep:
    As exams are no longer counted after 2016 entry so I'm not sure what unis will look at. You will have to check each individual uni. Work experience would be good. Care homes, hospitals anything of that sort looks really good.

You will have to avoid GCSE heavy unis and you may not meet the requirement for a lot of unis so you will need to check that. Start looking at admissions pages for the universities.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mliela)
    As exams are no longer counted after 2016 entry
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait what ???

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=mliela;62218177]As exams are no longer counted after 2016 entry so I'm not sure what unis will look at. You will have to check each individual uni. Work experience would be good. Care homes, hospitals anything of that sort looks really good.

You will have to avoid GCSE heavy unis and you may not meet the requirement for a lot of unis so you will need to check that. Start looking at admissions pages for the universities.
    Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOT
    Thank you. what do you mean by that the exams are not counted after 2016??
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    Wait what ???
    [QUOTE=aligh;62218941]
    (Original post by mliela)
    As exams are no longer counted after 2016 entry so I'm not sure what unis will look at. You will have to check each individual uni. Work experience would be good. Care homes, hospitals anything of that sort looks really good.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOT
    Thank you. what do you mean by that the exams are not counted after 2016??
    I think they mean that the changes to a-levels mean they are now linear and anyone starting a-levels this year won't be sitting as exams.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ForestCat;62219079]
    (Original post by aligh)

I think they mean that the changes to a-levels mean they are now linear and anyone starting a-levels this year won't be sitting as exams.
    Oh I see, that makes much more sense. So therefore there must an prodigious value on predicted grades and mocks then I assume.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=mil88;62219147][QUOTE=ForestCat;62219079]

Oh I see, that makes much more sense. So therefore there must an prodigious value on predicted grades and mocks then I assume.[well my teachers say that for maths a levels are not changing and AS will be counted and for sciences the AS will be only useful for predicted grades that you are going to give for universities]

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=aligh;62219581][QUOTE=mil88;62219147]
    (Original post by ForestCat)

Oh I see, that makes much more sense. So therefore there must an prodigious value on predicted grades and mocks then I assume.[well my teachers say that for maths a levels are not changing and AS will be counted and for sciences the AS will be only useful for predicted grades that you are going to give for universities]
    but can someone help me about my main question please? is there anyone who has applied for medicine? did they look at your GCSEs and if they did what did how important it was compared with AS
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=aligh;62219635][QUOTE=aligh;62219581]
    (Original post by mil88)

but can someone help me about my main question please? is there anyone who has applied for medicine? did they look at your GCSEs and if they did what did how important it was compared with AS
    The bare minimum you need in maths, English and science is a C, so any gsces less than that would have to resat. You'd have to contact individual universities to see if they would take English being your second language as extenuating circumstances.

Are you taking Persian as a foreign language a level? Because most universities won't recognise it if you're already a native speaker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ForestCat;62219079]
    (Original post by aligh)

Yeah sorry. It was meant to say AS exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=aligh;62219635][QUOTE=aligh;62219581]
    (Original post by mil88)

Many of the universities I picked had a minimum cutoff. For example a minimum of 6 As at GCSE. But after that they weren't too important. Other unis have minimum requirements in English and maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.