Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I do Chemistry or Business at A-Level? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I definitely want to do Physics, Maths and History at A-Level, but I am undecided on my 4th choice. I understand that Business is considered a "soft" subject, but think two sciences might be too much for me. If there are any added benefits for taking Chemistry and Physics together I would also like to know. If there are any other subjects that people would like to suggest, in I'm all ears.

Here are the results from my recent mocks if they help,

Physics - A*
    Chemistry - A
    Biology - A
    English Lang - C
    English Lit - A
    Business - A*
    History - A*
    Maths - B
    ICT - B

Thanks for all the help in advance!!

ReputationRep:
    Do business !!! chemistry is horrible

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CDin19)
    I definitely want to do Physics, Maths and History at A-Level, but I am undecided on my 4th choice. I understand that Business is considered a "soft" subject, but think two sciences might be too much for me. If there are any added benefits for taking Chemistry and Physics together I would also like to know. If there are any other subjects that people would like to suggest, in I'm all ears.

Physics - A*
    Chemistry - A
    Biology - A
    English Lang - C
    English Lit - A
    Business - A*
    History - A*
    Maths - B
    ICT - B
    On the other hand, chemistry fits nicely between maths and physics, which you are definitely taking..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpha0)
    On the other hand, chemistry fits nicely between maths and physics, which you are definitely taking..
    Yeah you could say that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpha0)
    When you say Chemistry is horrible, do means in terms of difficulty, or is it just a bad subject altogether?

ReputationRep:

Physics - A*
    Chemistry - A
    Biology - A
    English Lang - C
    English Lit - A
    Business - A*
    History - A*
    Maths - B
    ICT - B
    Depends, what you want to do at uni?

ReputationRep:

Physics - A*
    Chemistry - A
    Biology - A
    English Lang - C
    English Lit - A
    Business - A*
    History - A*
    Maths - B
    ICT - B
    You already have 3 desirable subjects - so taking a "soft" subject will be good as you have already done well in Business at GCSE and likely to do well with not that much effort in ALevel too. So i would say give Business the go ahead. Chemistry takes ALOT of effort. Especially with maths AND physics on your timetable - you are better of with business.

PS: Retake you English Language GCSE - Uni's want a minimum of B (Good Uni's)

ReputationRep:
    Do chemistry unless you want to do business at uni... I dont remember the exact words but theres a richard branson quote that says 'take a good job opportunity now and learn how to do the job later'. Chemistry is a very valuable subject and you will be able to do well if you work hard enough youll do well. dont deprive yourself of opportunities because you think youre not good enough

ReputationRep:
    I do Chemistry and it is the worst subject ever but I still enjoy learning it sometimes. It is so difficult. It depends on what you are thinking of studying at uni. I think you should have a look at the spec of the exam board for both subjects and choose which one you would enjoy learning the most. It is difficult to study an A Level subject if you don't like it that much, it pretty much makes it harder for you to understand things.
    Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polerat)
    Depends, what you want to do at uni?
    Would prefer Physics and Astrophysics, but if my grades are not good enough in maths and physics than ill have to go with a history degree, probably ancient history. (most uni's want A* maths or/and physics and an A in another subject)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonest)
    I do Chemistry and it is the worst subject ever but I still like it a bit. It is so difficult. It depends on what you are thinking of studying at uni. I think you should have a look at the spec of the exam board for both subjects and choose which one you would enjoy the most.
    Good Luck
    To be honest, I don't think I'll be able to cope with two sciences but i do like chemistry and thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help guys, means a ton!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joosofsucksess)
    Do chemistry unless you want to do business at uni... I dont remember the exact words but theres a richard branson quote that says 'take a good job opportunity now and learn how to do the job later'. Chemistry is a very valuable subject and you will be able to do well if you work hard enough youll do well. dont deprive yourself of opportunities because you think youre not good enough
    Thanks for the advice, and i agree with you that chemistry is a valued subject

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I don't think I'll be able to cope with two sciences but i do like chemistry and thanks
    Yh I agree, I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths and I have no time to study Maths because I'm always studying the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry... do you want to die brah?
    With Chemistry the rule is : if you don't need it for your degree, don't do it

ReputationRep:
    For physics degrees you might find that unis ask for physics and one other science, which is worth looking up on their websites. Some may and some may not count maths as a science

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    You are 100% right bruh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    chat **** get banged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nat9393)
    For physics degrees you might find that unis ask for physics and one other science, which is worth looking up on their websites. Some may and some may not count maths as a science

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the advice, i will check the uni's i have in mind

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.