Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people run away from arguments on TSR? Watch

Announcements

I see this happening all the time. There's an argument and all of a sudden someone stops replying.
    Is it becasue the person you're debating with is so stupid you can't even bother to continue replying or you've been defeated so you run away?
    I personally take debates on here as learning experiences and will graciously accept that I've been beaten and let the user know (normally via pm). Especially if the user was able to pass his/her points across without the use of slander and abuse.

Also what's with this thing where if you and a particular Tsr member disagree on something, they will then proceed to ignore you anytime you quote them or make it a point to disagree with every single thing you post? :lol: that's just immature. You can't honestly have a chip on your shoulder for such a small reason.
    There are lots of people on here who I disagree with on most things but if they post something funny/good I'll rep them regardless.

So do you guys run away from arguments? If yes, why?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    I see this happening all the time. There's an argument and all of a sudden someone stops replying.
    Is it becasue the person you're debating with is so stupid you can't even bother to continue replying or you've been defeated so you run away?
    I personally take debates on here as learning experiences and will graciously accept that I've been beaten and let the user know (normally via pm). Especially if the user was able to pass his/her points across without the use of slander and abuse.

Also what's with this thing where if you and a particular Tsr member disagree on something, they will then proceed to ignore you anytime you quote them or make it a point to disagree with every single thing you post? :lol: that's just immature. You can't honestly have a chip on your shoulder for such a small reason.
    There are lots of people on here who I disagree with on most things but if they post something funny/good I'll rep them regardless.

Sometimes I give up on trying to educate idiots

EDIT: I am laughing right now cause this is my most repped post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    This. PRSOM

I don't come here to waste my time trying to convince people who can't be convinced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    i strongly agree

ReputationRep:
    Because ain't nobody got time for that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I just can't be bothered to argue/debate a lot of the time. Whoever is disagreeing with me probably (in my opinion) has no intention of changing their viewpoint anyway

ReputationRep:
    because Tsr members start being mean to them and persuading them that they are wrong....
    or sometimes many people sending alot of messages and they just gave up to reply them again and again
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I avoid D&CA like the plague here and News and Current Affairs. It's just not something I enjoy.

But anyway when a debate turns into an argument.. that's as far as it goes here or so I hope.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

There comes a point where you realise that you're not getting anywhere with the conversation. That's a good time to stop replying.

ReputationRep:
    Because 'running away' is actually very dignified. It stops it progressing further and getting worse. The VAST majority of arguemsnts on here are completely pointless, so walking away from it is a very sensible way to end it. Sometimes you just become too involved in a virtual argument over the Internet , and you sometimes just need to wake up to real life and realise 90% of the stuff u argue about through technology you wouldn't have the time to think about, or the politeness to say in person. Which is the way it should be
    • Welcome Squad

Sometimes it gets the the point where they write complete essays and you ain't got time fo dat shiz

ReputationRep:
    If I wanted a debate where both me and the other person learned something and grew in some way, I sure as hell wouldn't do it on TSR...arguing online is just something I avoid because the opinion of strangers is largely irrelevant to me

(Original post by may_1)
    Because 'running away' is actually very dignified. It stops it progressing further and getting worse. The VAST majority of arguemsnts on here are completely pointless, so walking away from it is a very sensible way to end it. Sometimes you just become too involved in a virtual argument over the Internet , and you sometimes just need to wake up to real life and realise 90% of the stuff u argue about through technology you wouldn't have the time to think about, or the politeness to say in person. Which is the way it should be
    Good point +1

(Original post by SeanFM)
    I avoid D&CA like the plague here and News and Current Affairs. It's just not something I enjoy.

But anyway when a debate turns into an argument.. that's as far as it goes here or so I hope.

I warn you never to venture there :afraid:
    You will lose your soul
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Good point +1

I warn you never to venture there :afraid:
    You will lose your soul
    :eek4: wouldn't want that. duly noted.

ReputationRep:

Sometimes u just keep repeating yourself and keep going around in circles so there's no point bothering with the person anymore so you just dont reply to them anymore.

ReputationRep:
    All I know if/when I don't reply (probably the equivalent of running :dontknow: ) there will be nothing more to elaborate on...
    Or he/she is just a lost cause

(Original post by alexschmalex)
    If I wanted a debate where both me and the other person learned something and grew in some way, I sure as hell wouldn't do it on TSR...arguing online is just something I avoid because the opinion of strangers is largely irrelevant to me
    Lol at me genuinely thinking most British youth on this site are smart and intelligent :facepalm: I honestly need to start avoiding the D&CA
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I try not to argue because then it looks like i'm trying to defend something. If my believes are considered right by me then i dont need no one else approval really.

ReputationRep:
    This.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.