Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Emma Watson petition to go to 'the jungle' without bodyguards Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayyylmaoo)
    I agree that we should not paint everyone with the same brush. We should also not paint all migrants with the same brush that they're in dire need or are extremely warm people, etc, all this overly positive tripe that is endorsed by left wing media. It works both ways, for consistency. The point is quite the opposite to painting everyone with the same brush. Being naive enough to endorse mass migration without consideration for the lack of background checks etc which permits events such as those that happened in cologne to occur is ironic at the very least. Ironic as sexual harrassment of women etc is such a widely discussed feminist topic. Nothing like hypocrisy though ehh.
    That wasn't my point. My point was that these people who are like 'OMG OUR POOR WOMEN!!!' want to send a young women into a group of people that they believe are mostly/all rapists. So much for caring about 'their women'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Well I'm glad to hear that The media certainly doesn't portray that which is quite shameful
    Obviously I'm just one person but I've had nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raaachek)
    Totes with Student403 on this one - your posts always slay to the max! xD

Whereabouts in Germany are you?
    haha thanks!

Berlin year abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    I think you're missing the point. I don't think its to 'teach her a lesson', I doubt anyone believes she ever would go. What it does is points out the hypocrisy in what she's saying, in her multimillion pound home can she really have the same concerns about the number of refugees in the country as normal people? Would she be willing to live with these people? No, then why would we let them live with us?

For the record I think we should be doing more the help the refugees, I just don't agree with what you've said.
    What celebrity 'lives among the masses'?
    (Just to point out, she did go to uni like a normal person)

I'm pointing out these people's hypocrisy in that they claim to care about victims of sexual assault - funnily enough, less so when they're committed by natives... hmm - but want to send a young woman into a group of people who they believe are mostly/all rapists? So... do they care about 'their women' or are they using victims of sexual crimes perpetrated by migrants to make a point..? I think I know which one I believe they're doing.

(N.B. I don't think caring about the victims of sexual crime and being politically or w/e against accepting migrants are mutually exclusive, I just don't think victims of things like this should ever be used to make a political point and I think by doing so you lose your element of empathy for the victims because you are, essentially, using someone who's been through something awful)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abruiseonthesky)
    'The refugees are all rapists and should be locked up for raping our women. Oh look a young woman doesn't think we should tar them all with the same brush, let's send her in and laugh when she gets assaulted or raped because we really care about women and the victims of sex crimes.'
    But she isnt gonna get raped by yours and hers logic... is she?

You cant have it both ways -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt_Haytham)
    Oh stfu.
    What, because I'm right in saying that it's hypocritical for people who scream about the victims of sexual violence committed by migrants petitioning a young woman to go and live among people they believe are mostly/all rapists? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    But sending anyone who is recognisable and known to be wealthy to be surrounded by the poor and desperate without bodyguards is always going to be dangerous. Some celebrities don't go ANYWHERE without security, it doesn't mean her views are wrong, or brought about by overabundance of wealth, or that she's a hypocrite. It just means that the situation would be dangerous.

Any celebrity that makes some charitable visit of any form will generally have security with them.
    Put a hat on.. 20 something middle easterns are not going to recognise her thru a disguise lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    But she isnt gonna get raped by yours and hers logic... is she?

You cant have it both ways -
    1. I never denied that there is a higher than native level of sexual crime among this demographic
    2. I was pointing out the hypocrisy of people who scream about THEIR WOMEN being attacked by BLEEDIN FOREIGNERS (when it's a native it's always 'prove it you man hater'... funny that) wanting to send a young woman into a group of people who they believe are mostly/all rapists. Yeah, they really care about the victims of sexual crimes. They aren't using them to make a point at all.

ReputationRep:
    What, because I'm right in saying that it's hypocritical for people who scream about the victims of sexual violence committed by migrants petitioning a young woman to go and live among people they believe are mostly/all rapists? :rolleyes:
    Huge logic fail as has been pointed out to you already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Huge logic fail as has been pointed out to you already
    Just poked holes in your argument, awkward.

ReputationRep:
    What's 'the jungle'?

ReputationRep:
    Just poked holes in your argument, awkward.
    Really, where? Awkward

ReputationRep:
    Variation of the usual crap about feminists and activists all being spoilt rich kids and airheads.

The poll list could be sold to the BNP for mailshots though, so I suppose something good will come out of it.

ReputationRep:
    1. I never denied that there is a higher than native level of sexual crime among this demographic
    2. I was pointing out the hypocrisy of people who scream about THEIR WOMEN being attacked by BLEEDIN FOREIGNERS (when it's a native it's always 'prove it you man hater'... funny that) wanting to send a young woman into a group of people who they believe are mostly/all rapists. Yeah, they really care about the victims of sexual crimes. They aren't using them to make a point at all.
    Its really simple: If somebody says hey there are bees in that hive be careful.. to which person B responds NO THERES NOT HAR HAR whilst receiving the admiration from people around them... Person A then encouraging that perosn to stick their hand in the hive does not neccesarily want them to get stung... they want them to back up their convictions, to walk the walk and show its not just a person adopting a position for the plaudits of others (Emma Watsons virtue signalling)

You're narrative is these nasty xenophobes dont care about women and want her to get raped. How can you call them xenophobes yet then go on to validate their fears and views in the same sentence?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the sort of guys for whom this kind of call is a dog whistle are not exactly notable for their niceness to women generally or having done some work on their sexist attitudes.

ReputationRep:
    stupendo immigrantem multiculturalibus !!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    I'm saying it might be more effective to ask someone to to do this who could walk around a busy street in this country without being mobbed...

and you can't seriously tell me you can't see the hypocrisy of your second sentence right?

okay then, pick any shithole along the way, I don't mind, I reckon you'd still be unwilling to do it.
    Funnily enough, leaving women and children in these warzones is a habit of these migrants given that most are blokes.

ReputationRep:
    That wasn't my point. My point was that these people who are like 'OMG OUR POOR WOMEN!!!' want to send a young women into a group of people that they believe are mostly/all rapists. So much for caring about 'their women'.
    I don't think it's meant to be serious, it's meant to highlight the fact that she's privileged AF and is viewing the issue of mass migration with rose tinted glasses.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine some of the people who've signed this petition don't actually want her to go and live among migrants but to retract what she's apparently said about all the migrants being lovely people or whatever (I don't actually know whether or not she's said things to this effect; I'm just going off of the impression people seem to have).

I.e. if someone said suggested feeding unemployed people with firelighters, I might ask them to try such a diet, not because I actually want them to do it (and cause serious damage to themselves) but because by them hopefully not doing it, the weakness of their argument would become apparent.

In support of EW, I don't think there's anything hypocritical that pointing out that most humans are fundamentally decent without wanting to spend time in a big crowd of them when they're at their most desperate and potentially violent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliusDS92)

In support of EW, I don't think there's anything hypocritical that pointing out that most humans are fundamentally decent without wanting to spend time in a big crowd of them when they're at their most desperate and potentially violent.
    Very true that. It's like the difference between giving to Oxfam and being personally willing to go to a warzone and help people in dire circumstances. The former is easy, the latter hard. That doesn't make it hypocritical to recommend that people give to Oxfam.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.