EternalKiss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ever since i was a kid, i have wanted to join the army. It's been an absolute dream of mine. I'm 15 and hoping to go to the AFC Harrogate after my GCSEs. However, i have a question.
Can you join the army with glasses?
I am short sighted and this question has been on my mind for a few months and its worrying me that it might affect my application.
I was also wondering if contacts would be more suitable as i know glasses would probably get in the way.
Please would someone be able to answer this and put my mind at rest? thank you
ProStacker
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes. You'll get tested as there is a limit to how short-sighted you can be, but glasses / contacts are fine.
EternalKiss
Rep:
?
if you know, would u be able to tell me the limitations?
(Original post by ProStacker)
Yes. You'll get tested as there is a limit to how short-sighted you can be, but glasses / contacts are fine.
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EternalKiss)
if you know, would u be able to tell me the limitations?
It varies depending on what you are looking to do. Can you tell me your aided/unaided scores for both eyes and what you are looking to do? As a minimum you would be looking at and aided score of 6/12 in the right eye and 6/36 in the left eye*. The bar is rather low for unaided.

On another note, I advise applying for Harrogate as early as possible.

*Note these scores are a couple of years old but I doubt it will have changed drastically.
EternalKiss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Talon)
It varies depending on what you are looking to do. Can you tell me your aided/unaided scores for both eyes and what you are looking to do? As a minimum you would be looking at and aided score of 6/12 in the right eye and 6/36 in the left eye*. The bar is rather low for unaided.

On another note, I advise applying for Harrogate as early as possible.

*Note these scores are a couple of years old but I doubt it will have changed drastically.
Not exactly sure about the scores for my eyes. But I do know that my eyes are bad enough that i would need glasses for driving (quoting my optometrist) um, im thinking of joining as a Health Care Assistant or a CMT (combat medical tech)
Goaded
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My brother wears glasses and he's in the army
Talon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not exactly sure about the scores for my eyes. But I do know that my eyes are bad enough that i would need glasses for driving (quoting my optometrist) um, im thinking of joining as a Health Care Assistant or a CMT (combat medical tech)
As long as your vision is of a reasonable standard with the glasses you should be ok. The figures I posted above would apply to both the QARANC and RAMC. You will find out for sure when you go through the medical. The minimum standard without glasses is being able to read the top line on a snellen chart (the one with the letters on in descending size). If you can read this you are good!
EternalKiss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Talon)
As long as your vision is of a reasonable standard with the glasses you should be ok. The figures I posted above would apply to both the QARANC and RAMC. You will find out for sure when you go through the medical. The minimum standard without glasses is being able to read the top line on a snellen chart (the one with the letters on in descending size). If you can read this you are good!
Ah thanks so much! So i should be good as long as my vision can be corrected with glasses/contacts?
Talon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ah thanks so much! So i should be good as long as my vision can be corrected with glasses/contacts?
Yes, so long as it can be corrected to a good enough level. You will probably be fine.
O_Dog123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I too was looking to find this out because I was so worried I wouldn't be accepted due to me being long sighted but I'm glad that I can still join
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was a medical assistant in the IDF and my eyesight was much worse than 6/60 unaided, aided it was about 6/9 though. I don't know about UK army, but I hope it is similar requirements.
Jasmine.k.j
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve been worried about this as I’m highly dependant on my glasses and can’t see without them. Would I still be able to join or would they be too bad
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jasmine.k.j)
I’ve been worried about this as I’m highly dependant on my glasses and can’t see without them. Would I still be able to join or would they be too bad
Unless you're really bad (ie, basically blind), you'll be fine
Jas.k.j.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What if you literally can’t see anything unless it’s really close to your face if you don’t have glasses
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (32)
8.23%
Confident (53)
13.62%
Indifferent (56)
14.4%
Unsure (99)
25.45%
Worried (149)
38.3%

Watched Threads