Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you join the army with glasses? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ever since i was a kid, i have wanted to join the army. It's been an absolute dream of mine. I'm 15 and hoping to go to the AFC Harrogate after my GCSEs. However, i have a question.
    Can you join the army with glasses?
    I am short sighted and this question has been on my mind for a few months and its worrying me that it might affect my application.
    I was also wondering if contacts would be more suitable as i know glasses would probably get in the way.
    Please would someone be able to answer this and put my mind at rest? thank you
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You'll get tested as there is a limit to how short-sighted you can be, but glasses / contacts are fine.

ReputationRep:
    if you know, would u be able to tell me the limitations?
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Yes. You'll get tested as there is a limit to how short-sighted you can be, but glasses / contacts are fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalKiss)
    if you know, would u be able to tell me the limitations?
    It varies depending on what you are looking to do. Can you tell me your aided/unaided scores for both eyes and what you are looking to do? As a minimum you would be looking at and aided score of 6/12 in the right eye and 6/36 in the left eye*. The bar is rather low for unaided.

On another note, I advise applying for Harrogate as early as possible.

*Note these scores are a couple of years old but I doubt it will have changed drastically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    It varies depending on what you are looking to do. Can you tell me your aided/unaided scores for both eyes and what you are looking to do? As a minimum you would be looking at and aided score of 6/12 in the right eye and 6/36 in the left eye*. The bar is rather low for unaided.

On another note, I advise applying for Harrogate as early as possible.

*Note these scores are a couple of years old but I doubt it will have changed drastically.
    Not exactly sure about the scores for my eyes. But I do know that my eyes are bad enough that i would need glasses for driving (quoting my optometrist) um, im thinking of joining as a Health Care Assistant or a CMT (combat medical tech)

ReputationRep:
    My brother wears glasses and he's in the army

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly sure about the scores for my eyes. But I do know that my eyes are bad enough that i would need glasses for driving (quoting my optometrist) um, im thinking of joining as a Health Care Assistant or a CMT (combat medical tech)
    As long as your vision is of a reasonable standard with the glasses you should be ok. The figures I posted above would apply to both the QARANC and RAMC. You will find out for sure when you go through the medical. The minimum standard without glasses is being able to read the top line on a snellen chart (the one with the letters on in descending size). If you can read this you are good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    As long as your vision is of a reasonable standard with the glasses you should be ok. The figures I posted above would apply to both the QARANC and RAMC. You will find out for sure when you go through the medical. The minimum standard without glasses is being able to read the top line on a snellen chart (the one with the letters on in descending size). If you can read this you are good!
    Ah thanks so much! So i should be good as long as my vision can be corrected with glasses/contacts?

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks so much! So i should be good as long as my vision can be corrected with glasses/contacts?
    Yes, so long as it can be corrected to a good enough level. You will probably be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.