Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What to do when extremely bored (at home) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Have you considered trying to start a long-term project like learning a language or gardening or painting, or an online course on a free MOOC? These things require some motivation and persistence but they're something you can work on regularly for a long period of time and can definitely motivate you because you feel like you're doing something worth while, and they're not stressful either. Also, please ignore Hydeman's comments, he clearly has only come here to put people down.
    Thank you for replying I appreciate it I think he is just bitter because he has nothing better to do then make people feel bad about themselves.I am trying to learn 3 languages French is going the best however it is incredibly boring Russian is the easiest I must say Mandarin the most interesting yet challenging.I painted a colouring book yesterday it was a vogue colouring book I enjoy that however it was rough and rushed.I have been really stressed going to therapy and stuff I loved reading however I cannot bring myself to read anymore I am not feeling it I have not connected with any books for a while the last time I did was 3-4 years ago now I only read classics and the occasional Harry Potter, however I am not fond of the characters.I enjoy the story but the characters persona is not enough for me.I like a character who is slightly crazy dramatic like Lady Macbeth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I'm going to be blunt with you: get a life. The overall impression that you make is that you're restricting yourself to a small number of things that you think you should enjoy but, in reality, you don't.

Join a book club, and make friends while you're at it. Watch TV, if there's something on that you like -- don't try to force yourself to not like things that you consider a waste of time. As for using computers: you've already shown that you don't mind wasting time in that area, so you might as well let yourself enjoy it.

But more than anything: get a life. If you're bored all the time, then you obviously have too few long-term commitments.
    I will hopefully join a hockey club if there is any near by and if I do and I will enjoy it I will continue coming I have maths tuition once a week.I want to be productive but yet simultaneously I feel exhausted and want to do nothing.

(Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I think he is just bitter because he has nothing better to do then make people feel bad about themselves.
    My fan club would disagree. :mmm: I'll add this to the 'hate' section on my profile.

As for having nothing better to do, I think the words 'pot, kettle, black' are in order.

I will hopefully join a hockey club if there is any near by and if I do and I will enjoy it I will continue coming I have maths tuition once a week.I want to be productive but yet simultaneously I feel exhausted and want to do nothing.
    It's a cycle. The more you do, the more you want to do, if something is interesting enough.
    • TSR Support Team

Football Manager
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for replying I appreciate it I think he is just bitter because he has nothing better to do then make people feel bad about themselves.I am trying to learn 3 languages French is going the best however it is incredibly boring Russian is the easiest I must say Mandarin the most interesting yet challenging.I painted a colouring book yesterday it was a vogue colouring book I enjoy that however it was rough and rushed.I have been really stressed going to therapy and stuff I loved reading however I cannot bring myself to read anymore I am not feeling it I have not connected with any books for a while the last time I did was 3-4 years ago now I only read classics and the occasional Harry Potter, however I am not fond of the characters.I enjoy the story but the characters persona is not enough for me.I like a character who is slightly crazy dramatic like Lady Macbeth.
    I am learning Mandarin,Russian and French.
    Oh brilliant! I'm also not the biggest fan of French (I found it pretty boring too). Russian is one of the languages I've been thinking about learning in the future but right now I'm learning Japanese (which I guess is vaguely similar to Mandarin because of the characters) and I agree, it's really interesting and challenging.

ReputationRep:
    Oh brilliant! I'm also not the biggest fan of French (I found it pretty boring too). Russian is one of the languages I've been thinking about learning in the future but right now I'm learning Japanese (which I guess is vaguely similar to Mandarin because of the characters) and I agree, it's really interesting and challenging.
    Yes, Kanchi and hanzi, unfortunately some characters have different meanings.My sister is learning Japanese is well.Can I ask how are you learning Japanese and what resources do you use and think are helpful?Any books websites tips that you can give her?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Kanchi and hanzi, unfortunately some characters have different meanings.My sister is learning Japanese is well.Can I ask how are you learning Japanese and what resources do you use and think are helpful?Any books websites tips that you can give her?
    I think WaniKani is brilliant for learning Kanji and vocab. It's slow at first but there's a free trial that runs for the first three levels and then after that it's a subscription model which is worth it imo (I have a discount code if she enjoys it and wants to get a subscription). Memrise has some very good vocab lists (and it's free). In terms of textbooks for things like grammar, I'm doing an evening course and we use a textbook called Minna no Nihongo but I've heard very good things about the Genki textbooks.

ReputationRep:
    I think WaniKani is brilliant for learning Kanji and vocab. It's slow at first but there's a free trial that runs for the first three levels and then after that it's a subscription model which is worth it imo (I have a discount code if she enjoys it and wants to get a subscription). Memrise has some very good vocab lists (and it's free). In terms of textbooks for things like grammar, I'm doing an evening course and we use a textbook called Minna no Nihongo but I've heard very good things about the Genki textbooks.
    I found out that I enjoy playing black jack for fun not for money but tick tacks or candy something like that.

ReputationRep:
    OP, did you get The Sims 3 as I had suggested? :cyber:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beeninetytwo)
    OP, did you get The Sims 3 as I had suggested? :cyber:
    I have sims 4 but I do not find the game that interesting,I don't really play it anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I have sims 4 but I do not find the game that interesting,I don't really play it anymore.
    But it's so fun! :zomg:

203k fmaily funds, no cheats :smug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beeninetytwo)
    But it's so fun! :zomg:

203k fmaily funds, no cheats :smug:
    My town is old and my boyfriends and husbands keep dying of old age :nothing:

I eat Ambrosia most days :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Monopoly!

ReputationRep:
    Persona 3

or

Sims 3/4

or

Spore

Trust me, time will go by like crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Time to grow them crops lad, you'll survive the end of the world as well. I currently have chilli and sweet pepper seeds in the propagator, then in a few weeks it'll be time for the tomato seeds to go in. Then carrots, chard, sprouts, courgette etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Just dont do something useless like sitting around playing video games. Do something productive and educational like learning a language or reading books etc. Also go outside and exercise, you said you love to cycle, get a bike then and go jogging etc.
    I haven't owned a console in years but what's the stigma with video games?? They're actually mentally productive, fun and who how is doing anything else superior to them?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.