Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Debate: is greed good? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Makes you take serious risks and lose respect of others. Not good at all.

ReputationRep:
    Ask Ebenezer Scrooge

To an extent.

ReputationRep:
    No
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Using the wikipedia definition, "Greed is an inordinate or insatiable longing for wealth, status or power".

I'm not entirely sure how you can argue that an "inordinate longing" for something is good; if something is inordinate then it's bad by definition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Makes you take serious risks and lose respect of others. Not good at all.
    Why do i need respect when I have hundreds of thousands of pounds?

All people are driven by greed and fear.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dopesmoker)
    Why do i need respect when I have hundreds of thousands of pounds?

All people are driven by greed and fear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sometimes you just need self respect to be happy...

ReputationRep:
    What do we define as 'good'? My idea of 'good' will not be similar to a Christian, for example.

(Original post by Ishea16)
    Sometimes you just need self respect to be happy...
    You're being slightly hyperbolic. There isn't a time when you just need self-respect to be happy, if we count commodities like food, water, and shelter as prerequisites for happiness.

ReputationRep:
    Greed is not bad or good. Murdering someone for money = bad. The dangerous actions = bad.
    Greed is what it is.

ReputationRep:
    depends how you define greed, if it's like as seen above, the wiki definition then it is pretty bad and normally wont lead to long lasting wealth.

If however you mean just wanting to be rich and doing things to increase your wealth even at the detriment of others then i think this is good, it leads to competition which pushes forward technology and our species into the future.

ReputationRep:
    As long as your not taking something from someone else or monopolizing resources then potentially I think it could be, so depends how you define greed. If greed is just wanting more and more without taking away from others or monopolizing resources I think it could be good, even helpful. Merges into ambition I think, someone who goes out and gets something as opposed to lazy or content, those that don't strive for anything more than the have or are given, if given. We tend to be told to want more then more again is bad but I think a certain amount is natural, helps to enrich our lives otherwise we might be stuck with pitiful lives, we need to progress, important to try and get on with people though I think also.

ReputationRep:
    Like pretty much everything else, it's totally subjective to the situation.

ReputationRep:
    Greed is the cancer of society. It is the driver of a lot of problems in society today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.