Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Contraceptive implant; anyone with experience Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Wanted to know whether the implant is worth getting?

Do me and my bf still need to use condoms?

Does the contraceptive implant hurt?

Will my family see I have something on my arm?

Does it change the way my period starts/stops?

Will this give me less chances of being pregnant when I am married?

What is the procedure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fearless96)
    Wanted to know whether the implant is worth getting?
    I personally think it is! It means you're protected from pregnancy and don't have to remember a pill

Do me and my bf still need to use condoms?
    If you're not monogamous or haven't been together long, yes as you still need protection from STIs; my boyfriend and I don't use them as we've been together 2.5 years and totally trust each other, just be careful!

Does the contraceptive implant hurt?
    The numbing injection is like a sharp scratch and it might be a bit tender for a couple of days, that's all

Will my family see I have something on my arm?
    Nope, it's on the inside of your arm and you can't see it!

Does it change the way my period starts/stops?
    I don't have periods with the implant but it can vary from woman to woman

Will this give me less chances of being pregnant when I am married?
    The nurse told me it takes barely any time for your fertility to return to normal when they take it out

What is the procedure?
    They will numb the area, then insert the implant with basically a big needle, however they tell you not to look, so it's okay if you're squeamish! You just have to keep it dry for a couple of days after.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've had the implant since July 2015 and overall I've not had a bad experience. The procedure is easy, a maximum of 15 minutes. They inject a local anaesthetic across the arm but if you can handle needles this will not be a problem. They then use a device to quickly insert the implant. Mine bruised for a week but the pain was minimal.

However, the symptoms for me have been a pain in the ass! I've gained nearly 2 stone (no different eating habits particularly) and I have not stopped bleeding, so they have put me on the mini pill at the same time to try and regulate the periods (bear in mind, some people have no periods, others have regular periods and some have erratic periods or constant periods)

The mini pill is helping but I'm certain my bleeding will come back when I stop using the pill, so I think I may have to get it taken out. If it works for you, it will be a really good choice! It is one of the safest contraceptives and you don't have to remember to take it every day at a certain time. Your parents will not see it once the bruising has gone down, but if you press into the arm you can feel it, it is a strange feeling!
    If you are in a monogomous relationship you don't have to wear a condom, but there's not 100% protection with any contraceptive so wearing a condom may give you extra security.
    I hope this helps, if it works for you it is a safe choice. I say give it a go, you can always get it taken out 3 months later if it poses a problem

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.