The Student Room Group

Will I be classed as an independent student?

Hello,
I'm looking to go to uni in 2018 after completing an access course in 2017. The reason I'm on here now is I was wondering if what I was going to do would affect how much money I would be entitled too through student finance.

I've lived by myself working full time since 2015 earning approx £10000 a year. I was going to move into my grandparents home and rent a room from then at the end of 2016 to save up for a year off work to do my access course in September 2017. I would be paying them rent, buying my own food and paying for my own travel the whole year with my savings. Would I be classed as an independent student? I would have 3 years worth of P60s showing my income, proof I rented my own flat for two years and I lived with my grandparents for a year.

My parents are alive and we speak but are not on good terms so hence why I moved out and supported myself. If It makes any difference when I was 17 (I am 21 currently) I moved into a foyer for 6 months when studying at sixth form living on income support.

Will I be classed an an independent student or will student finance judge it from my parents income or on my grandparents income?

Thank you.
Original post by Avocadoo
Hello,
I'm looking to go to uni in 2018 after completing an access course in 2017. The reason I'm on here now is I was wondering if what I was going to do would affect how much money I would be entitled too through student finance.

I've lived by myself working full time since 2015 earning approx £10000 a year. I was going to move into my grandparents home and rent a room from then at the end of 2016 to save up for a year off work to do my access course in September 2017. I would be paying them rent, buying my own food and paying for my own travel the whole year with my savings. Would I be classed as an independent student? I would have 3 years worth of P60s showing my income, proof I rented my own flat for two years and I lived with my grandparents for a year.

My parents are alive and we speak but are not on good terms so hence why I moved out and supported myself. If It makes any difference when I was 17 (I am 21 currently) I moved into a foyer for 6 months when studying at sixth form living on income support.

Will I be classed an an independent student or will student finance judge it from my parents income or on my grandparents income?

Thank you.

I think all you need is 3 years of 7k or more earnings to be an independent student :yes:.
Reply 2
Original post by Neostigmine
I think all you need is 3 years of 7k or more earnings to be an independent student :yes:.

Thank you, just wanted some clarification over it.
Hi Avocadoo

A student can be considered independent if they supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of their course. The three years can include periods when they were:

In paid full-time employment

In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed

In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance

Receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

The three years of self support do not need to be consecutive. we will ask you to provide evidence to support this.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending