The Student Room Group

28 years old returning to uni?

Greetings all.

I studied finance at uni but left after my first year as I felt I did not need uni to do what I wanted in life. 6 years on and I've succeeded in my Forex trading career and I've been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to go back to uni. I work for myself from my home but I really feel like going back to university and doing Finance again. Not because I need a degree but because I just want to feel accomplished, it's another achievement ticked off my list.

I seriously enjoyed uni for the year I was there, made some awesome friends and I'm thinking to go back. Of course being 28 is pretty old for uni as most people there are under 21. I mean I look pretty young still so I'd fit in but just not sure if it's a good decision.

Is 28 too old to go back to uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roll The Dice
Greetings all.

I studied finance at uni but left after my first year as I felt I did not need uni to do what I wanted in life. 6 years on and I've succeeded in my Forex trading career and I've been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to go back to uni. I work for myself from my home but I really feel like going back to university and doing Finance again. Not because I need a degree but because I just want to feel accomplished, it's another achievement ticked off my list.

I seriously enjoyed uni for the year I was there, made some awesome friends and I'm thinking to go back. Of course being 28 is pretty old for uni as most people there are under 21. I mean I look pretty young still so I'd fit in but just not sure if it's a good decision.

No. Nope. Nah. Never. There are a huge range of ages at my university. You notice the difference but it's okay.
Source; 27 and at uni.
You're never too old to go to Uni if that's what you want to do and I admire you for doing so :biggrin:
Original post by Neostigmine
No. Nope. Nah. Never. There are a huge range of ages at my university. You notice the difference but it's okay.
Source; 27 and at uni.

Do you actually live in the halls though?

Original post by Blondie987
You're never too old to go to Uni if that's what you want to do and I admire you for doing so :biggrin:

I know if I go I'll enjoy it. Only thing that discourages me a little is when I tell them I'm 28 lol.
I am at uni as a mature student in my 30s! Do not let your age out you off. A range of ages albeit the majority coming straight from school. But you soon discover the mature areas to avoid the more rowdy crowd shall I say!
Reply 5
No one will think twice about your age especially as you are still in your 20s and as you've said you look young too. People don't really ask each other their age at uni and it's easy to make friends with people of all ages so don't worry about it :biggrin:
Reply 6
Greetings all.

I hope 28 is not too old, as I am 34 and have just applied for sept start but have similar concerns about whether it's the right thing to do....

I'm just going to go with it.... It's what I want to do, so hopefully it will all work out.... ( mature in age.... Not sure about in any other aspect )
Yes, it kind of is. But it not a bad thing and I am sure you won't be the only 28 year old.

Plus a certain weirdo on here once told me he was 35 and still in uni LOOOL, so you ain't that bad :smile: x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Well I'm currently doing an Access course at Uni and I have just been accepted on a BEd Primary Education course for September and I will be 37! I am currently studying with students aged 19 years upwards and I have fitted in rather nicely and get on extremely well with my peers. Age is a number. Oh and for what it is worth my assignments get handed in early, my marks are higher than my younger counterparts and they ask me for advice! Not everyone is suited to being an academic straight after college. I tried at 18 and ended up quitting my course, I have a better mindset now I am "old".
Greetings all.

Never too old to go back to Uni. I'll be 30 this year and am heading off to do a BSc in Forensic Science....
Reply 10
I am going to be starting in sept 2016 in BSc Social work and I am 38. I have just lived my life backwards kids first then uni after when they have grown up. I don't think it matters how old you are as long as you have the correct mindset which I definitely did not have at 18. Being a mature student means this is something that you really want to do not just a continuation of education. I will be sacrificing a lot to be there but it will be worth it. I really hope other students don't think I am too old, because us "olds" have the same right to be there as the young people.
Reply 11
Original post by sbeer
I am going to be starting in sept 2016 in BSc Social work and I am 38. I hapve just lived my life backwards kids first then uni after when they have grown up. I don't think it matters how old you are as long as you have the correct mindset which I definitely did not have at 18. Being a mature student means this is something that you really want to do not just a continuation of education. I will be sacrificing a lot to be there but it will be worth it. I really hope other students don't think I am too old, because us "olds" have the same right to be there as the young people.

Completely agree.... 😀 Good luck with your course.
Reply 12
Oh thank goodness! coz i'm 28 and I've just applied to start uni this year. I had the same reservations about doing it.
I'm 27 doing a Computing Access Course. The ages on the course range from 19-31 and we all get on fine. I'm actually looking forward to uni as it means escaping from a college full of mostly 16/17 year olds.
Reply 14
27 and applied for Sept 2016 :wink:
Reply 15
Greetings all.

You'll be able to pick up loads of young totty too. After all, you'll be competing with a bunch of spotty insecure 19 year olds with $30 to last them a month. You should kill it.
Reply 16
Greetings all.

Well I am well over 40 and they will be joking 'hey, where is your zimmer frame, love!' I do not care though, I have a good sense of humour. On my access course I was one of the oldest there, but most of us got on ok. I am more nervous about the workload than age. University in September, come get me!
Not at all. I'll be 30 this year but returning to university to do a Masters (might do a second one after this one). I think it's silly to let age stop you from getting an education, especially if you enjoy it, like I do. Life's far too short to not experience things.
Reply 18
Greetings all.

Course not! When I did one of my undergraduate degrees we had someone who was 43 on the course.

Admittedly you might not be so keen on White Lightning, Ring of Fire, Pub Crawls and other 'bonding' activities of teenagers, so your experience will be different to first time around.

You could always do OU too I suppose?
This makes me feel better, I'll be 28 or 29 when I finally start uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending