Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever failed at something, then later succeeded? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Everyone fails at something, unless your absolutely perfect, which is very rare

I'm looking for some motivation tonight :-) So people of TSR, have you ever failed and then succeeded later? or succeeded at something else? How did you deal with failure?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    Yes.
    Would like to elaborate? :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    You can do it, go on.

Okay, motivational speeches aren't really my thing.

Dropping out of university because of health issues and making some really stupid decisions was a real failure for me. Getting the letter through the post informing me I got an average mark of 8% was horrible (some completed coursework, didn't attend exams).

Returned to university. Don't want to jinx it and say I will succeed, but I've got one semester to go and marks are currently on the right side of 70.

ReputationRep:
    Practice makes perfect!

ReputationRep:
    I can now negotiate (at least) 22 miles of steep, undulating, pothole-ridden terrain on a pushbike with no saddle, having previously been unable to manage even one-tenth that whilst seated, over level tarmac. Considering I took last place in just about every athletic event throughout my entire compulsory education, I'd consider that an example of 'overcoming failure'.

ReputationRep:
    Does it count that I fail at life but keep going?

ReputationRep:
    JUST DO IT! -Shia LeBeouf 2015

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EtherealNymph22)
    Does it count that I fail at life but keep going?
    Well....I'm doing it right now...so I hope

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, all the time. Video games are good for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    You can do it, go on.

Okay, motivational speeches aren't really my thing.

Dropping out of university because of health issues and making some really stupid decisions was a real failure for me. Getting the letter through the post informing me I got an average mark of 8% was horrible (some completed coursework, didn't attend exams).

Returned to university. Don't want to jinx it and say I will succeed, but I've got one semester to go and marks are currently on the right side of 70.
    Good job! You'll succeed :-)

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Would like to elaborate? :sigh:
    During my GCSE years the school held a science contest. I was considered a class joker and nobody expected much out of me. Their opinions were backed when I came out with mediocre and poor grades for my mocks. There was another kid in most of my classes that was considered a prodigy of some sort.

Anyway a few months skip by and we're taking the assessment. I've been revising and working to better myself academically. I pursued excellence in all my subjects and would endlessly work to make sure I understood all the concepts and notes of each subject. I didn't tell anyone.

I walk out of the assessment room and everyone's chatting about how it went for them. I just left saying it was okay. I didn't want to elaborate. I didn't have the time. The whole experience awoke something within me. I went home to work on studying for my GCSE's.

. . .

Results for the assessment come out. Highest in my year. I start feeling like:

The reaction on the teacher's face was hilarious. And the prodigy kid seemed confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    During my GCSE years the school held a science contest. I was considered a class joker and nobody expected much out of me. Their opinions were backed when I came out with mediocre and poor grades for my mocks. There was another kid in most of my classes that was considered a prodigy of some sort.

Anyway a few months skip by and we're taking the assessment. I've been revising and working to better myself academically. I pursued excellence in all my subjects and would endlessly work to make sure I understood all the concepts and notes of each subject. I didn't tell anyone.

I walk out of the assessment room and everyone's chatting about how it went for them. I just left saying it was okay. I didn't want to elaborate. I didn't have the time. The whole experience awoke something within me. I went home to work on studying for my GCSE's.

. . .

Results for the assessment come out. Highest in my year. I start feeling like:

The reaction on the teacher's face was hilarious. And the prodigy kid seemed confused.
    YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love that, thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    COD 4, Mile High Club, at Veteran.

Just remember doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I could never blow up a balloon.. Such a sad childhood I had. Until recently, I tried and guess what. It worked!!! :yay:
    Ok.. maybe that's not quite motivational. But I was over the moon :P 16 years of not being able to blow a balloon!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely.

For instance, I failed to convince the folk at Cambridge to give me an offer for undergraduate study but now (I'm fairly sure) I've cracked it for postgraduate study :dance:

Of course, there's more to life than Oxbridge, but this is just an example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Well....I'm doing it right now...so I hope
    Anyway, a serious motivation story-

During my final year of university at Christmas break I was going to drop out. I got diagnosed with an illness which had made me extremely fatigued and affected my cognition and as a result my first semester grades had not been as good as usual (I was on track to get a 1st). I spoke with my DoS and he encouraged me to take my January exams- saying that if they were really terrible then it would be a wise idea to repeat the year.

Over christmas I started the medication for my condition and it made a huge difference within about two weeks. I was able to focus, remember everything quickly, and revise really hard to make up for essentially losing the entire first semester to sleep. In the end, I sat my exams and I got the highest mark in the year in all four of my modules. It was unbelievable because just a few weeks earlier I was convinced I was going to fail at least three of them due to missing most of the lectures all term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Absolutely.

For instance, I failed to convince the folk at Cambridge to give me an offer for undergraduate study but now (I'm fairly sure) I've cracked it for postgraduate study :dance:

Great example! You'll get it! Good luck! :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    COD 4, Mile High Club, at Veteran.

Just remember doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.
    I did World at War on Veteran a few months ago. An excellent exercise in patience...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Absolutely.

Aww wow! good luck!!

Will keep you in dua's.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.